Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Tyranny GDC 2016 Previews

Thonius

Arcane
In a mainstream CRPG like this? Weeks of work on a scenario that only a handful of players will see...

That's the reason for the short playtime, isn't it? More replaying, more players see it.
Going by steam stats most players don't even finish CRPGs the first time around. I'm not complaining but I think this is an experiment with an obvious conclusion.
They dont finish rpgs because they are too long and filled with trash mobs and quests.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Some codexers about AoD: the playtroughs are too small, replayability is overrated; this game is a CYOA, not a cRPG.

Same codexers about T:ToN: the playtroughs are small and the emphasis is on replayability. That is great! Finally we have developers that can deliver what we want. Kevin Saunders and Colin McComb are geniuses, wow!

Same codexers about Tyranny: the game is focused on replayability in a CYOA style. Huehuehuehueheuheuheu Obsidian delivers. GOTY!

It’s all about pedigree, folks!
It's all about cynicism after AoD being a meme for so long.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
In a mainstream CRPG like this? Weeks of work on a scenario that only a handful of players will see...

That's the reason for the short playtime, isn't it? More replaying, more players see it.
Going by steam stats most players don't even finish CRPGs the first time around. I'm not complaining but I think this is an experiment with an obvious conclusion.
They dont finish rpgs because they are too long and filled with trash mobs and quests.
Even short ones don't have very encouraging stats.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing

That must be why Fallout 4 has a completion rate of over 19.8%, better than almost any other RPG on the market.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
In general, just want to comment I've gotten a bit tired of "gray" morality in RPGs. It's fantasy and escapism, I think it's totally fine to have clearly defined good and evil and not have to deal with moral ambiguity.

Fuck you! Go play Bethesda games, popamole lover!

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Some codexers about AoD: the playtroughs are too small, replayability is overrated; this game is a CYOA, not a cRPG.

Same codexers about T:ToN: the playtroughs are small and the emphasis is on replayability. That is great! Finally we have developers that can deliver what we want. Kevin Saunders and Colin McComb are geniuses, wow!

Same codexers about Tyranny: the game is focused on replayability in a CYOA style. Huehuehuehueheuheuheu Obsidian delivers. GOTY!

It's actually all about implementation. As in, the AoD implementation is shit and the whole game is just jumping from script to script.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
In general, just want to comment I've gotten a bit tired of "gray" morality in RPGs. It's fantasy and escapism, I think it's totally fine to have clearly defined good and evil and not have to deal with moral ambiguity.

Fallout 4 is extremely morally grey. Educate yourself before you start bashing.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected

Fallout 4 is extremely morally grey. Educate yourself before you start bashing.
It's a game about postpartum depression.

Unwanted
As somebody who actually lives there, I can tell you that the terrain in some of the first screenshots we saw did look Mediterranean to me. It's not incredibly distinctive but you recognize it once you know it. Muted green, scattered foliage.

If I may ask, where do you live exactly? "Mediterranean" is a vague notion, because , you know, both Egypt and Greece could be described by this term. I personally have Greece before my eyes when I hear the term, but as I said, it's not the whole story.

The screen did not leave "mediterranean" impression on me, though. I think "american" is more fitting (it probably describes anything an USA developer will ever develop btw. :) )

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy

It's actually all about implementation. As in, the AoD implementation is shit and the whole game is just jumping from script to script.

Right, because in these games you have more filler running between the quests and choices. They are superior C&C games because of the running around exploration. Ok, whatever.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
As somebody who actually lives there, I can tell you that the terrain in some of the first screenshots we saw did look Mediterranean to me. It's not incredibly distinctive but you recognize it once you know it. Muted green, scattered foliage.

If I may ask, where do you live exactly? "Mediterranean" is a vague notion, because , you know, both Egypt and Greece could be described by this term. I personally have Greece before my eyes when I hear the term, but as I said, it's not the whole story.

The screen did not leave "mediterranean" impression on me :)

The 'tron is an Israeli, so all the flaming missiles might be reminding him of home.

Fairfax

Arcane

The screen did not leave "mediterranean" impression on me :)

The 'tron is an Israeli, so all the flaming missiles might be reminding him of home.
:lol:

[black teens react]

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Right, because in these games you have more filler running between the quests and choices. They are superior C&C games because of the running around exploration. Ok, whatever.

Yes, the beautiful VD rhetoric... "if my game has nothing of worth between dialogue scripts then no other games have either, therefore I improved RPGs!"

Ovplain

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
improve-by-use progression

:S

EDIT: maybe if there was an overall CAP for each character? Or if the higher you raised one particular skill, the lower another one would get? Or raising a certain skill would make some synergistic skills easier to also raise up while others harder? I don't know.

Last edited:

Thonius

Arcane
But what if its copycat of AoD in terms of skill progression?
AoD had somewhat rudimentary "improve by use progression" - you kill you got an battle points (forgot the name) you talk you get a social skills. Its just a general pool that gives you more options and overall flexibility. Also it`s classless.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Well the setting sounds interesting. At least its not the Late Middle-Ages or Renaissance.

Other than that nothing really interests me (4 person party, classless, short/re-playable campaigns). And I have little faith in their C&C promises. Seems very unlikely they can pull it off.

But as others have said at least we didn't KS this so there is time to let the early adapters test it out.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Well the setting sounds interesting. At least its not the Late Middle-Ages or Renaissance.

Other than that nothing really interests me (4 person party, classless, short/re-playable campaigns). And I have little faith in their C&C promises. Seems very unlikely they can pull it off.

But as others have said at least we didn't KS this so there is time to let the early adapters test it out.
KS or getting in bed with the likes of paradox, take your pick on which is worse.

Unwanted

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom