Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Tyranny GDC 2016 Previews

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It wouldn't have been if they had doubled enemy damage per attack.

I don't understand their decisions either: the combat would've been more intense with the "only one attack" limitation removed, and the numbers tuned to wherever they need to be.

The difficulty however is the way it is because that's the way they wanted to tune it; they could've made it however hard or easy they want by adjusting enemy accuracy, damage, armour, and dodge without touching number of attacks. The same would still be true if they had the same number of attacks on both sides.

This is just a guess, but maybe it was a pacing consideration? Two enemy actions would double the length of the enemy turn.

Telengard

Arcane
This is just a guess, but maybe it was a pacing consideration? Two enemy actions would double the length of the enemy turn.
I would have considered that a possibility, but the enemy do have two actions. They can move and shoot, move and grenade, even (in rare cases) shoot and grenade. They just can't shoot and shoot.

'Course, if they could shoot and shoot, they could mow through an unprotected PC in a single round. And who wants that, these days...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tyranny talk in here. I guess the codex won't be too pleased with some of the things said by Brian. It starts at the halfway point or later. Seems to me that a lot of decisions in the game are for trying to appeal for a wider audience. As long as the C&C is good, I can live with it.
http://www.usgamer.net/articles/usg...rian-heins-and-delves-into-salt-and-sanctuary

Yeah we talked about it here, join the fun: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...bsidians-next-rpg.104738/page-31#post-4449548

agris

Arcane
Patron
Missed that. Gonna try it. How is the difficulty? Still playable at Very Hard/Hard, or does it go over the top?
Fun, harder. If you're like me, you found DF:DC on Hard too easy, and on Very Hard, tedious due in large part to the simple to-hit malus. I haven't played Dragonfall with it yet, but I would expect hard + the mod to be dialed in well for me. I didn't make the mod until the HK expansion pack came out and playing the expansion on hard was a significant bump in difficulty compared to the regular campaign w/o the mod. It was fun for me, but not everyone might like it. The optional three-way fight at the end of the mission where you rescued the girl-CEO was really challenging. I don't cheese the AI and was used to playing vanilla hard with a non-optimal party and only using medkits/doc wagons occasionally.

Prime Junta

I played DF on VH and found it rather too easy. I don't remember if I ever got TPW'ed actually. But then I minmaxed the fuck out of my PC.

Sounds like the mod + Hard would be just about right then. Gonna give this a whirl in a bit when I'm back at my game computer...

Longshanks

Augur
Looks far more interesting than POE which as a BG-iike never really appealed - though, to be fair it was the failed attempt at PST-like writing that killed the fun in that game. With the limited dev time going for a simpler game more like BG would have been the ticket.

So far they are saying the right things:
  • C&C focused - perfect. I value this over any other RPG element. Sceptical of their claims, but they have the right words
  • shorter - great! 20h is more than enough, there are very few games worth sinking 50+ hours into
  • evil has won; starting in a position of authority - different than most at least

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom