Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Tyranny E3 2016 Previews, Gameplay Footage, Screenshots

Neanderthal

Arcane
Strength build Nameless were a lotta fuckin fun in combat, kicked arse on a fuckin biblical scale.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
FO combat > PS:T combat. Not by much, but meh. That's not the point. from the looks of it, a turn-based version of Tyranny would be pretty good. Plus it seems to have some interesting story lines. Which is really my point.

I dunno. I'm starting to think Infinitron was right. You can never go home again. And even fans of the IE games will hate the new reboot of IE games. What a strange world we live in...
IE reboot:
painting24n-1-web.jpg

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
FO combat > PS:T combat. Not by much, but meh. That's not the point. from the looks of it, a turn-based version of Tyranny would be pretty good. Plus it seems to have some interesting story lines. Which is really my point.

I dunno. I'm starting to think Infinitron was right. You can never go home again. And even fans of the IE games will hate the new reboot of IE games. What a strange world we live in...

What are we talking about again? Tyranny isn't an IE game or trying to be like an IE game.

I dunno, if you told the Codex of 2009 that they were getting a Dragon Age: Origins-like RPG that's shorter (and therefore probably has less trash mob combat), with more emphasis on politics, more C&C, and no romances, I think they'd have thought that was pretty great.

2016 is turning out to be a pretty sparse year for RPGs. All the big stuff is coming out in/is probably going to get delayed to 2017. Tyranny might end up being one of the Codex's top RPGs of the year by default. Maybe Dragonspear too? (inb4 they both get beaten by Deus Ex: Mankind Divided or something)

Last edited:

Mustawd

What are we talking about again?

We're talking about codexers not realizing that a good C&C game is staring them right in the face

Tyranny isn't an IE game or trying to be like an IE game.

Huh? It's an IE wanna be IE game by default. Give me a break News Jew. Even if it's different, it has all the trappings of an IE RTwP game. It's like saying PS:T is not an IE game because it's unlike Icewind Dale.

Tyranny might end up being one of the Codex's top RPGs of the year by default.

I'd say that it at least has the potential for 2016 GOTY.

Maybe Dragonspear too?

LOL

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
There is one other game. If Expeditions: Viking comes out this year, that could end up being the GOTY.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Plus it seems to have some interesting story lines. Which is really my point.

Tyranny looks like it has a couple of neat ideas wrapped inside a setting and gameplay that appear to be boring as fuck to sludge through to experience the "possibly" good parts. It's not even so much about "not getting home again" (which might well be true in the grand scheme of things), but simply that things - regardless of the list of features to salivate about - can be done well or badly. And here it just seems the scale tips more towards the latter despite the good ideas. It's very much possible that Tyranny has some ace up its sleeve ends up as some sort of surprise hit that everybody and their dog loves, and shouldn't have judged the cake for its icing and all that shit, but so far I just don't see it.

Mustawd

It's very much possible that Tyranny has some ace up its sleeve ends up as some sort of surprise hit that everybody and their dog loves, and shouldn't have judged the cake for its icing and all that shit, but so far I just don't see it.

Look, I'm not saying Tyranny is the next cat's meow. But look at some of the negativity ITT. Seems to be negative for negative's sake. Pure edginess. and that's fucking lame.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Oh yeah, the AoD dungeon crawler is also supposed to come out this year. Given Iron Tower's track record, though...

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
But look at some of the negativity ITT. Seems to be negative for negative's sake. Pure edginess. and that's fucking lame.

I concur about graphics and animations. I don't really give too many shits about that stuff. But if one has something to say, no use hatching it within.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It's an IE wanna be IE game by default. Give me a break News Jew. Even if it's different, it has all the trappings of an IE RTwP game.

Dragon Age: Origins is built on the Infinity Engine and has most of "the trappings of an IE RTwP game", but no one refers to it as such.

Dwarvophile

Liturgist
I hope the whole area will be more lively and action with NPC rethinked because it looks so contrived ! Just like a bad anime's choregraphy. How convenientely are those NPC dying right at char's arrival so the whole city assaulty turns into a manageable 4 vs 4.

But combats looks much clearer and smoother. Maybe they 'll even be fun to play...

Mozg

Arcane
I'm more interested in this than I ever was in PoE, despite any seeming negativity - although it's 99% just because they're not setting out to try to make 90 bloated hours of BG RTwP, not because of anything they've actually shown.

I'm mostly criticizing the art shit because I'm afraid they're on cargo cult autopilot with it, like featuring mediocre art pieces because there's supposed to be stuff like this in the game right

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Look...I'm no lover of RTwP games like PoE or IE games. But Tyranny seems to have some real C&C. Shit like "25 hours per playthrough for multiple playthroughs" seems pretty incline in my book. Are we just hating for the sake of hating? Isn't this something we should be supporting?

Aren't we tired of 100+ open world games that feel like single player MMOs? Sorry, but I don't see the negativity aspect here. Running animation sucks? Stop being a graphic whore. Fallout 1 running animation didn't age well either and it's still fun.

I mean seriously. These guys are actually fucking trying to make a good game. Get off your Obsidian soap box and at least give it a chance FFS. Isn't more reactivity, C&C, and more morally gray choices the things the codex has been bitching for the last 10 years?

Please explain to me how this is worse than the 300+ hr bullshit of Witcher 3. Or are you all a bunch of poseurs in disguise? Because so far, that seems to be the case.

I'm fucking agree with whole post!

But I should add that in my opinion, battles in P:T was fun. Not as good as in BG2, but still fun, not awful, or something.

Last edited:

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Aren't we tired of 100+ open world games that feel like single player MMOs?

Please explain to me how this is worse than the 300+ hr bullshit of Witcher 3. Or are you all a bunch of poseurs in disguise? Because so far, that seems to be the case.

To be fair, a single person MMO is just about the right setup for an average codexer with introverted, borderline asperger personality.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't care much about the combat. This is all about if they can deliver on their promise of interesting C&C. Failing that, they will leave a lot of us that care about the studio and their games disappointed. I really hope the game is worth to be replayed.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
All the videos showed a lot of combat, we might get c&c in these 25 hours of gameplay, but a lot of that time will still be spent with the same shit combat of PoE.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
2016 is turning out to be a pretty sparse year for RPGs. All the big stuff is coming out in/is probably going to get delayed to 2017. Tyranny might end up being one of the Codex's top RPGs of the year by default. Maybe Dragonspear too? (inb4 they both get beaten by Deus Ex: Mankind Divided or something)

The Witcher 3 and the first ToME 4 expansion did pretty well in the last two GOTY polls, and both games had good and meaty expansions this year. Would be amusing if our top 5 list was stuffed with expansions and DLCs this year.

Mustawd

It's an IE wanna be IE game by default. Give me a break News Jew. Even if it's different, it has all the trappings of an IE RTwP game.

Dragon Age: Origins is built on the Infinity Engine and has most of "the trappings of an IE RTwP game", but no one refers to it as such.

Really? Hmm, I didn't know that. Thanks Roguey.

daveyd

Savant
I dunno...C&C and good dialogue were basically the only thing that made PS:T playable. The combat was shit.

Yes, but most of it was thankfully avoidable.

If the C&C / dialogue is really the only enjoyable thing the game has going for it, then Obsidian should just make a visual novel. Why make us suffer through 25 hours of trash mobs and other filler shit?

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Dragon Age: Origins is built on the Infinity Engine

It's not. They used some code but it was mostly for backend shit like file format and such. All gameplay systems, Renderer, UI systems etc etc all completely different.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom