Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Tyranny E3 2016 Previews, Gameplay Footage, Screenshots

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
:conancamelpunch:

Already looking forward to the Codex review thread for this:

Particularly looking forward to Infinitron trying to stop it, the apologisms and wishful thinking is already in full force, after all it's obsidihurr we're talking about here.

What exactly is there to apologize for. It's Dragon Age: Origins combat mechanics. What am I gonna do, convince Codexers that they like it? It will be what it will be.

Last edited:

DeepOcean

Arcane
They need to add blood, decent sound effects, some decent feedback when enemies are hit, double the speed of the combat by cutting in half the delay between attacks... oh... before I forget, they need to add strategy and tactics to it too, the way it looks like just auto select and click to attack is embarassing and not much different from shit like Sword Coast Legends. I heard a few times some Obsidian apologists saying with a smug face that "Obsidian don't give a fuck about grognards." well... Sherlocks, then don't come afterwards asking for people to give the benefit of the doubt on a company that they themselves said it doesn't worry about decent gameplay. This video just made me more suspicious of this game, only maybe, with much optimism, it will be a playable storyfag game.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
the choice and consequence(which is meant to be some large selling point for this game) in this video seem largely plot based without any great difference in gameplay

it's always just kill 3 packs of trash mobs and then the same end boss

the only difference between the three different ways to solve the (((mission))) is the colour scheme of your ally, kinda banal

"shrug" A lot of the faction interplay in Fallout: New Vegas works that way too. Most of the consequences might be felt when the player's choices lock them in a particular route.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
They need to... double the speed of the combat by cutting in half the delay between attacks... oh... before I forget, they need to add strategy and tactics to it too

Mainstream gamers don't like to pause in their RTwP games.

I also just realized that Tyranny might not have a combat speed slider, since the core gameplay seems to be based around cooldown management. I can barely stand to play through PoE's trash mob-filled dungeons even on the fastest speed, so I really hope that the encounters are going be rare and tightly designed on release.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
By the way, has anyone seen a friendly fire AoE in any of the videos? The tooltips don't seem to list the "Foe AoE" qualifier anywhere, but all the AoEs I'm seeing are Foe only.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Still couldn't optimize the engine to support more than 10 people in the same area huh? :lol:

Lol, it's such shit that I'm more likely to play Dragon Age 2 than this.

Finally the time has come that I'm able to say this about an Obsidian title: I won't even pirate this shit.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Still couldn't optimize the engine to support more than 10 people in the same area huh? :lol:

How does it even make sense to say this about a game that people complained about its hordes of trash mobs

By the way, has anyone seen a friendly fire AoE in any of the videos? The tooltips don't seem to list the "Foe AoE" qualifier anywhere, but all the AoEs I'm seeing are Foe only.
There is no friendly fire :( Not only the player uses AoE two times without caring if it touches allies (in both instances it does), but it looks like AoE attacks do not decrease allies HP when it hits them.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
How does it even make sense to say this about a game that people complained about its hordes of trash mobs
Who's talking about trash fights? I mean they're in the middle of some siege battle and all they can do to convey that is through sounds of battle... while only showing 5-6 people standing in empty spaces and conveying a feeling of loneliness instead.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Who's talking about trash fights? I mean they're in the middle of some siege battle and all they can do to convey that is through sounds of battle... while only showing 5-6 people standing in empty spaces and conveying a feeling of loneliness instead.

This doesn't feel like a fair criticism in the context of RPG history or game development in general.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Remember Ostagar and In Your Heart Shall Burn (granted I imagine fewer people here played Inquisition)?

imweasel

So Obsidian still makes the most boring fucking combat from a visual and audible perspective. It is the same 5 to 10 sound effects and super shitty animations over and over and over again. :lol:

E.g. the completely mute Monk in the video who only has a single sound effect while in combat (punch!) is just fucking hilarious.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sannom

Augur
I think by the time the battle has started the time for playing factions off against one another has passed. However, if you pay attention to the dialogue, there appears to have been some sort of playing off of factions before the beginning of the siege in the rebel playthrough.
I'm expecting this to be the very beginning of the game, right after character creation. All the decisions leading up to that point would have been made when selecting our toon's past and role in the war.

duanth123

Arcane

It doesn't Infinitron.

The bad men just want Obsidian to fail.

But good guys like you and me are going to point out when the bad men say things that are bad to help our friends at Obsidian.

I have a special message for the bad guys, Infinitron, don't read it.

Infinitron is purposely (unless he really is an idiot savant of underhanded argumentation) using a classic logical fallacy in which he conflates the separate arguments of different persons in order to make said arguments appear inconsistent or otherwise disingenuous to the extent they originate from a fictional, singular "people".

The irony is that even if one person made both those two separate arguments, they would in no way be at odds with one another, as both poor engine optimization leading to a suspension of disbelief shattering number of NPCs on-screen (for a given scene) and hordes of trash mobs are problems that any game can simultaneously have.

Particularly where PoE critics used the term "hordes" or terms similar to that in the context of describing how it felt to, over the course of the entire game (or even single maps) repeatedly fight relatively smaller groups of tactically uninteresting mobs.

What's really disturbing is that Infinitron spends enough time on this site (as a newsposter alone) to know and be intimately familiar with the actual, contemporaneous arguments made by PoE critics.

And yet he still chooses to ply inaccurate bullshit in new threads pertaining to Obisidian products.

Ask yourself why a poster would do this.

Last edited:

jungl

Augur
im happy that the combat is slower paced. Games retarded if you instant gib everyone with a twohanded sword like they a goblin in baldurs gate.

It doesn't Infinitron.

The bad men just want Obsidian to fail.

But good guys like you and me are going to point out when the bad men say things that are bad to help our friends at Obsidian.

I have a special message for the bad guys, Infinitron, don't read it.

Infinitron is purposely (unless he really is an idiot savant of underhanded argumentation) using a classic logical fallacy in which he conflates the separate arguments of different persons in order to make said arguments appear inconsistent or otherwise disingenuous to the extent they originate from a fictional, singular "people".

The irony is that even if one person made both those two separate arguments, they would in no way be at odds with one another, as both poor engine optimization leading to a suspension of disbelief shattering number of NPCs on-screen (for a given scene) and hordes of trash mobs are problems that any game can simultaneously have.

Particularly where PoE critics used the term "hordes" or terms similar to that in the context of describing how it felt to, over the course of the entire game (or even single maps) repeatedly fight relatively smaller groups of tactically uninteresting mobs.

What's really disturbing is that Infinitron spends enough time on this site (as a newsposter alone) to know and be intimately familiar with the actual, contemporaneous arguments made by PoE critics.

And yet he still chooses to ply inaccurate bullshit in new threads pertaining to Obisidian products.

Ask yourself why a poster would do this.

I don't know why we're talking in spoilers

Obviously different posters are going to have different priorities and so have different ideas about how games came up short. I'm pretty sure even people who liked Pillars of Eternity agreed it had an excessive number of trash mobs

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I don't get how the Edict is fulfilled by siding with the rebels. Have they been convinced by the PC to ally with Kyros again?

I don't get how the Edict is fulfilled by siding with the rebels. Have they been convinced by the PC to ally with Kyros again?

Didn't watch the video. Maybe they are personally loyal to the Fatebinder, who is ostensibly loyal to Kyros.

Arulan

Cipher
FextraLife said:
Abilities now no longer have a fixed number of uses per encounter, but instead have cooldowns. This really is a great change for the players. As those familiar with Pillars of Eternity will tell you, it was difficult to manage your abilities and frustrating when you ran out of ones you really needed. This will also keep the combat interesting in longer fights. Previously, in longer battles of attrition, you would likely blow most or all your abilities before the encounter was complete, making the last portions of battle more about auto attacking and less about using your interesting and carefully planned abilities. Now you can enter an encounter with a full arsenal and can plan your attack from start to finish in a gratifying fashion.

:hmmm:

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
So I have a low-significance question, but one that I'm genuinely curious about: why are animations frozen during dialogues? Isn't the standard to have idle animations (which the game seems to have)? Has there been some shift away from this that I've missed, or what? (In particular, I thought it was striking that in one dialogue, the animations were actually frozen mid-stride, but even in the first one where everyone was standing around, it was odd.)

I remain cautiously optimistic about the game, if only because the propaganda is in the right place. To build off de La Rochefoucauld's maxim, if hypocrisy is vice paying homage to virtue, that presumes that the hypocrite knows what virtue is -- in the same way, even if marketing is a lie, what lie is being told tells you what the marketer understands the market to want. When an RPG promises "a cinematic experience like LOTR" or "thrilling combat" or whatever, it may not be true but it at least gives some sense of the aspirations. Here, the marketing has emphasized moral ambiguity, non-Tolkien fantasy, C&C, etc. Even if the game doesn't live up that, the mere marketing tells you that it's aiming for something close to the Codexian ideal than RPGs of a decade ago.

That said, I am cautioned by some of what I've seen -- for example, the decision to stage a siege seems to violate my old basketball coach's mantra "never show them what you can't do." But I haven't seen anything to lead to outright hostility.

Mozg

Arcane
Yeah, they definitely need to learn to write around stuff they can't do, especially in an opening before they've grabbed the player enough to meet them halfway by seeing the displayed gameworld as a simplified diorama that is inviting the player to imagine the "real thing" instead of being directly representative. But maybe if I were sitting there playing it myself and able to read stuff without Youtube encoding making it semi-legible I'd have gotten sucked in immediately.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom