Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Tyranny Dev Diary Video #3: Gameplay and Mechanics

ArchAngel

Arcane
It's a casualized PoE made by some Obsidian B-team. Hmmm I wonder why people are not excited
You are saying this like PoE is not already pretty casual. I think Tyranny just looks like a more fun version of a casual PoE game.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Maybe not for you, but it was pretty casual with all the no friendly fire abilities.

D&D also has many spells with no friendly fire. There's a mix. The ones with friendly fire are stronger by design.

With no preplanning abilities,

Resting bonuses, food, and drugs. I'd also say stacking pre-buffs isn't an example of something being hardcore.

with very little battle changer abilities (only dominate and petrify).

I don't even know what this means.

ortucis

Prophet
I hope the combat is similar to Original Sin than that DnD-like shite they crapped out in POE. One big reason why I couldn't be arsed with that game..

Sentinel

Arcane
I hope the combat is similar to Original Sin than that DnD-like shite they crapped out in POE. One big reason why I couldn't be arsed with that game..
Fuck off, turn-based is trash in 90% of the games (in large part due to encounter design and pacing). Go play your 900 turn-based games you got last year.

jungl

Augur
Pillars was pretty darn casual. Get higher quality weapons and armors and you cream shit. Kind of brainless. Tyranny saw videos where u have to move your guys to avoid attacks never had to do that in pillars.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Maybe not for you, but it was pretty casual with all the no friendly fire abilities.

D&D also has many spells with no friendly fire. There's a mix. The ones with friendly fire are stronger by design.

Resting bonuses, food, and drugs. I'd also say stacking pre-buffs isn't an example of something being hardcore.

D&D does not have that many(the most useful damage dealing one is lvl 8) and certainly not those that have physical effects on enemy (being damage or debuff like web or entangle).

Lol resting bonuses, drugs/food. Go out and shoot yourself behind the shed, you are not even worth someone else time to do that. Knowing what to precast and buff with in a system with limited spell slots is called tactical planning and it is something casual games don't have.

It means most spells and abilities in PoE are shit that change some numbers between 5 and 20% and don't really affect the battle in major ways. In IE games from lvl 1 you have spells like Sleep, Color Spray, Web, Entangle and the rest that were more than minor math modifiers. In PoE you can mostly ignore all spells except two (Dominate and Petrify). Only those two provoke a major change in your tactics or can cost you the battle. Only those two are the ones that make you think in advance on how to best counter them.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
PoE has all those spells too. Also stat debuffs are a much bigger deal.

In PoE you can mostly ignore all spells except two (Dominate and Petrify). Only those two provoke a major change in your tactics or can cost you the battle. Only those two are the ones that make you think in advance on how to best counter them.
lmao

Sentinel

Arcane

D&D does not have that many(the most useful damage dealing one is lvl 8) and certainly not those that have physical effects on enemy (being damage or debuff like web or entangle).

Lol resting bonuses, drugs/food. Go out and shoot yourself behind the shed, you are not even worth someone else time to do that. Knowing what to precast and buff with in a system with limited spell slots is called tactical planning and it is something casual games don't have.

It means most spells and abilities in PoE are shit that change some numbers between 5 and 20% and don't really affect the battle in major ways. In IE games from lvl 1 you have spells like Sleep, Color Spray, Web, Entangle and the rest that were more than minor math modifiers. In PoE you can mostly ignore all spells except two (Dominate and Petrify). Only those two provoke a major change in your tactics or can cost you the battle. Only those two are the ones that make you think in advance on how to best counter them.
Maybe if you play on normal

ArchAngel

Arcane
I see the PoERetard boys are still delusional even after we ripped them a couple of new buttholes in the Obsidian subsection since the game release.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Pillars was pretty darn casual. Get higher quality weapons and armors and you cream shit. Kind of brainless.

That's not true. There's a world of difference between something like Pillars of Eternity and actually-casual RPGs like Dragon Age Inquisition, South Park: The Stick of Truth, and Shadowrun Returns.

:hmmm:

Here's a big one at level one: Sleep.

Pillars of Eternity is significantly more demanding than Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2, which have prebuffing. Memorizing always-beneficial routines isn't hardcore.

PoE has all those covered except a spell like color spray that covers stunning, blindness, and unconsciousness all in one. It's not lacking in status effects http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Status_Effects

Sentinel

Arcane
I see the PoERetard boys are still delusional even after we ripped them a couple of new buttholes in the Obsidian subsection since the game release.
Your assessment is still wrong even for the vanilla release, retard.
But I guess according to you we should all discuss the 1.0 releases of every title?

ArchAngel

Arcane

:hmmm:

Here's a big one at level one: Sleep.
Wow, you found 1 spell. You must be feeling pretty smart right now? I did say there are not many. Maybe learn to read before you write your shit on the internet?

Pillars of Eternity is significantly more demanding than Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2, which have prebuffing. Memorizing always-beneficial routines isn't hardcore.
Haha, fuck NWN. Nobody ever compared them to NWN. Since release PoE mechanics and spells are compared with IE games, you know the ones they used to market PoE in their KS. Are you dense or just don't have any arguments and trying to mislead?
And even in NWN prebuffing is more tactical than what PoE has (although it does come down to using same 5 spells and turns into a chore that pen and paper does not have due to nature of that medium).

PoE has all those covered except a spell like color spray that covers stunning, blindness, and unconsciousness all in one. It's not lacking in status effects http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Status_Effects
And again you are either dense or tying to mislead on purpose. Read again what I said, you even quoted that part.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Wow, you found 1 spell. You must be feeling pretty smart right now? I did say there are not many. Maybe learn to read before you write your shit on the internet?

Good thing someone's actually gone through the trouble of making such a list http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG2/SpellsReference/AreaSpellChart.htm

That's actually quite a lot. :M

Haha, fuck NWN. Nobody ever compared them to NWN. Since release PoE mechanics and spells are compared with IE games, you know the ones they used to market PoE in their KS. Are you dense or just don't have any arguments and trying to mislead?

You seem unable to comprehend there's a spectrum between "casual" and "most hardcore ever." Neither PoE nor BG/IWD are in the extremes of either.

And even in NWN prebuffing is more tactical than what PoE has (although it does come down to using same 5 spells and turns into a chore that pen and paper does not have due to nature of that medium).

Prebuffing is a strategic action, not tactical.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
34rQ2Li.png

worth it just to see some codexers get triggered

duanth123

Arcane
Boy, Obsidian should be so lucky some of you are narcissistic/autistic? enough not to have grown bored of the same old arguments about PoE, such that you would inadvertently keep the embarrassing mediocrity of a news post of a game (lol @ plagiaristic kick off ledge) that is Tryananny at the top of theforum sidebar.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom