Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Tyranny Dev Diary #9: Beasts and Bane

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Fluff in this game ranges from boring shit to second hand embarassment.

BlackGoat

Arbiter
NAID0zu.png

Inspired by Myth indeed. The myrkridia are way cooler

g7uCWa4.gif

DeepOcean

Arcane
Aha... now I know Obsidian master plan, they wish to make everyone so bored with those bullshit updates that when the game is released, most codexers aren't as negative and even rate the game as good for what it is. It is desensitization through boredom.

Sannom

Augur
It's been Obsidian's policy to have externally published game forums on the publisher's website (e.g. NWN2), except when the publisher didn't really have a robust forum available (e.g. Alpha Protocol).
NWN2 wasn't on the publisher's website, it was on Bioware's website. Dungeon Siege 3, The Stick of Truth and Pathfinder all have their "home" on the Obsidian Boards as well. So I believe it's really more the publisher's call. Bethesda takes care of their brand, hence why New Vegas is on their board, and My.com probably wanted to control the communication around such a massive project as Armored Warfare.

At least the idea of alpha female would have been credible and everyone could have drawn real world feelings about insects/reptiles and apply them accordingly (massive egg laying, hive mind, etc). They went instead for nonsensical ideological bullshit that makes no sense whatsoever unless somehow created/controlled artificially by magic/gods/whatever.
Considering how huge the beastwomen are compared to the beastmen and their focus on strength and hunting, I'm not surprised that they tend to lead their societies.

I'm also glad that Obsidian seems to aim for a world in which there are few regular fantasy monsters, only humans, a more primitive race of humanoids and banes.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The Beasts of Codex are a race of partially-humanoid creatures whose history is as disputed among humans as it is between the various Codexer tribes. A race of balding, jaded monsters who value predatory posting and shill above all else, these basement hunters once ranged the whole of Internet, but due to various newsforum Moderators’ encroaching banning, now thrive primarily in the Tiers lower than 1.

Though the truth of their legends cannot be confirmed, by and large the Beasts believe that rather than evolving from smaller, more naive shitposters, they are a more developed version of the human race, shaped over a decade of incline in order to become tougher, fiercer, and more deadly—in order to be better critics than their gutless, cuckold ancestors.

Regardless of the veracity of who’s evolved from whom, there’s certainly little dispute regarding these creatures’ ties to the crpgs, as seen by the varied adaptations distinctive to each tribe. Dark and sleek as a starless night, the combatfags are cowardly, agile predators who insult from the shadows, whereas the storyfags tend to larger builds and can be as dull-witted as boulders. The systemfags are a semi-autistic tribe, rarely if ever seen outside their basements.

Beasts do not think the same as humans do. As wild, animalistic creatures, their experience of the world is extremely visceral and sensory-related (i.e. butthurt). They consider themselves apex predators and take great pride and exhilaration in their ability to stalk and harass sensible netizens of all types, sjws sometimes included. However, they form strong emotional ties with their own kith, and will often express a range of complex, intense feelings within their speech, from thrill to fury to easy-going contempt.

Humans with common sense often worry Beasts have a larger agenda—but their goals are as fragmented as their tribes. Survive. Thrive. Fund the ultimate CnC crpg. Become the dominant species.

Who knows what they’re really after?

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Beasts do not think the same as humans do. ... They consider themselves apex predators and take great pride and exhilaration in their ability to stalk and kill creatures of all types, humans sometimes included. However, they form strong emotional ties with their own kith, and will often express a range of complex, intense feelings within their speech, from thrill to fury to easy-going contentment.

Sooo... they are exactly the same as humans?

Unwanted

Illuvatard

Unwanted
The Beasts of Codex are a race of partially-humanoid creatures whose history is as disputed among humans as it is between the various Codexer tribes. A race of balding, jaded monsters who value predatory posting and shill above all else, these basement hunters once ranged the whole of Internet, but due to various newsforum Moderators’ encroaching banning, now thrive primarily in the Tiers lower than 1.

Though the truth of their legends cannot be confirmed, by and large the Beasts believe that rather than evolving from smaller, more naive shitposters, they are a more developed version of the human race, shaped over a decade of incline in order to become tougher, fiercer, and more deadly—in order to be better critics than their gutless, cuckold ancestors.

Regardless of the veracity of who’s evolved from whom, there’s certainly little dispute regarding these creatures’ ties to the crpgs, as seen by the varied adaptations distinctive to each tribe. Dark and sleek as a starless night, the combatfags are cowardly, agile predators who insult from the shadows, whereas the storyfags tend to larger builds and can be as dull-witted as boulders. The systemfags are a semi-autistic tribe, rarely if ever seen outside their basements.

Beasts do not think the same as humans do. As wild, animalistic creatures, their experience of the world is extremely visceral and sensory-related (i.e. butthurt). They consider themselves apex predators and take great pride and exhilaration in their ability to stalk and harass sensible netizens of all types, sjws sometimes included. However, they form strong emotional ties with their own kith, and will often express a range of complex, intense feelings within their speech, from thrill to fury to easy-going contempt.

Humans with common sense often worry Beasts have a larger agenda—but their goals are as fragmented as their tribes. Survive. Thrive. Fund the ultimate CnC crpg. Become the dominant species.

Wow, you actually bothered to type all that? Time for you to get a life, son.

Also I have to laugh. To a liblol the only insult they can think of is to say someone lives with their mom. Like, that is the only accomplishment any liblol ever managed - to get their own apartment :lol: And they probably only did that because they have so many daddy issues they have a little tissy fit every time they talk to their parents.

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

Also I have to laugh. To a liblol the only insult they can think of is to say someone lives with their mom. Like, that is the only accomplishment any liblol ever managed - to get their own apartment :lol: And they probably only did that because they have so many daddy issues they have a little tissy fit every time they talk to their parents.

Or he just, you know, copied the original description of the Beasts and edited it in a few places.

Unwanted

Illuvatard

Unwanted

Or he just, you know, copied the original description of the Beasts and edited it in a few places.

Not the smartest guy on earth are you? Literalism, not even once.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Lighten up, man. It's just for fun.

As per your questions

1) yea, took me a whole 15 min, as much as my research on bronze age which I am now expert of
2) who says the basement can't be their own? Nowhere it is implied that someone would live with their parents. Where I live it's no accomplishment to have your own place, btw. Pretty much everyone over 20 has, own or rented out.

other than that, I quite agree with you.

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
It's been Obsidian's policy to have externally published game forums on the publisher's website (e.g. NWN2), except when the publisher didn't really have a robust forum available (e.g. Alpha Protocol).
NWN2 wasn't on the publisher's website, it was on Bioware's website. Dungeon Siege 3, The Stick of Truth and Pathfinder all have their "home" on the Obsidian Boards as well. So I believe it's really more the publisher's call. Bethesda takes care of their brand, hence why New Vegas is on their board, and My.com probably wanted to control the communication around such a massive project as Armored Warfare.

At least the idea of alpha female would have been credible and everyone could have drawn real world feelings about insects/reptiles and apply them accordingly (massive egg laying, hive mind, etc). They went instead for nonsensical ideological bullshit that makes no sense whatsoever unless somehow created/controlled artificially by magic/gods/whatever.
Considering how huge the beastwomen are compared to the beastmen and their focus on strength and hunting, I'm not surprised that they tend to lead their societies.

I'm also glad that Obsidian seems to aim for a world in which there are few regular fantasy monsters, only humans, a more primitive race of humanoids and banes.

In NWN2's case, it was more about having continuity with NWN1 forum community, but yes, it tends to revolve around whether the publisher has a good home for the forums. I know I'm glad we didn't have to take on AW forums...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom