Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Tyranny Dev Diary #7: Companion Overview - Verse

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Also Verse would fit in just as she is.

Israfael

Arcane
I think this opus magnum was made to conceal the fact that the descriptions of the abilities are very suspiciously MOBA-like, which would be much worse than inane story / companion descriptions. Although Sawyer should probably join MOBA crowd - after all, they only care about the balance and his quality of story presentation and everything else would be more than enuff for kids that play those dota clones or whatever its called now.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I would probably like this companion a tad more, if her name wouldn't constantly remind me of Star Citizen.

oy8J9Po.png

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I would probably like this companion a tad more, if her name wouldn't constantly remind me of Star Citizen.
It's your own fault, why would you follow that?
Never watched any of those. But ever since I backed SC (back when they had collected less than 2 mill total pledges and everything seemed reasonable) it seems that I have subscribed to their newsletter. But I guess you are right, time to login into rsi and finally change settings.

gaussgunner

Arcane
Verse's backstory, what the fuck?! Is Obsidian's writing always over-the-top melodramatic?

There goes the last shred of my interest in these games. I gotta stop reading codex and get back to writing/programming. :obviously:

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Face the reality, gamers on average like PoE. Not just the "casual journals", but gamers who are interested in isometric RPGs overall.
Half of the people e.g. from rutracker's theme about PoE wrote that they played but wasn't satisfied or played and didnt liked it. That's 89 pages.

Last edited:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Face the reality, gamers on average like PoE. Not just the "casual journals", but gamers who are interested in isometric RPGs overall.
Half of the people e.g. from rutrackr's theme about PoE wrote that they played but wasn't satisfied or played and didnt liked it. That's 89 pages.
Should I be able to understand what you just linked? :) Or what rutrackr is.

Half of the people e.g. from rutrackr's theme about PoE wrote that they played but wasn't satisfied or played and didnt liked it. That's 89 pages.
Чувак, я думаю всем тут пофиг на мнение российских пиратствующих юзеров, не поверишь.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

Butthurt Russians whose ability in making RPG's is limited to Hard to Be a God and Planet Alcatraz whining about a game by the Great Satan. Seems legit.

:M

Sannom

Augur
Ah, that explains the use of the Cyrillic alphabet in the post above. I didn't bother to click on the link.

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
They really do want to be Bioware don't they. If Verse was transgendered then this could be straight out of Dragon Age 4.
You realize the youngins they're hiring at this point very likely think KotOR and DA:O are oldskool/hardxcore games, right?

Especially Dragon Age is mentioned a lot, disgusting game. I fucking hate it along with Mass Effect. The art style was disgusting and gameplay mediocre.

Even tough I dont like Star Wars, both Kotor was fun. Kotor 2 made me wish there was a modern Dune rpg, kreya was a copy of a Bene Gesserit witch.

Iteration is important in videogames, but Obsidian just feels like its out of touch, I am happy we get flawed shit like Torment and at least Age of Decadence and Underrail were a blast.
I just really feel fantasy is going the wrong way in videogames recently, Witcher is tolerable but people seem out of touch with simple honest fantasy like Greyhawk, Ravenloft etc. Its really just as easy as adapting a module and thats it. A videogame is born.
Look at warhammer quest, simple as shit and entertained. Darkest Dungeon is another good example.

Why the fuck am I rambling like this I apologize it was a rough night, my dog ate rat poison from a neighbour and I had to take care of her the whole night.

Sannom

Augur
I just really feel fantasy is going the wrong way in videogames recently, Witcher is tolerable but people seem out of touch with simple honest fantasy like Greyhawk, Ravenloft etc. Its really just as easy as adapting a module and thats it. A videogame is born.
You need the licence for those, and Hasbro isn't Games Workshop, they don't give it away willy-nilly.

hivemind

Everyone who joins the Chorus gets a new name. The name “Verse” was a compliment from the Voices of Nerat, who – in one of his crazier, artistic moments – heard music in the shrieking and howling of battle. He said that hers stood out louder than anyone else’s, and contained too many parts to be easily defined.
cringe
stopped reading right here

this game gonna be shit even if the idea had potential

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
In fairness, I don't think I've read a companion blurb like this that ever succeeded in getting me excited, ever since Bioware started doing them. Touting supporting cast as features in a game is a hugely misguided marketing development, like if they had released updates on Dakkon or Morte before the release of Planescape: Torment revealing huge portions of their background. Why spoil the text crawl for players that enjoy it?

These blurbs are awkward and tense to read not so much because the ideas are bad as they are meant to generate buzz from people who fetishize concepts and people who have any kind of fetish (but particularly a fetish that is intellectual rather than sexual in nature) can be tense and awkward talk to.

Last edited:

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Should I be able to understand what you just linked? :) Or what rutrackr is.
Misspelled it, it is rutracker, obviously russian torrent site.
Content 89 pages of discussion about game. Have read it ll obviously, so it is as I said on average half of people said it is not that good game.

Чувак, я думаю всем тут пофиг на мнение российских пиратствующих юзеров, не поверишь.
Чувак, дело в том что они тоже люди и игроки, и их мнение ничуть не менее важно и показательно.

Butthurt Russians whose ability in making RPG's is limited to Hard to Be a God and Planet Alcatraz whining about a game by the Great Satan. Seems legit.:M
Um.. should I comment it?

ArchAngel

Arcane
They really do want to be Bioware don't they. If Verse was transgendered then this could be straight out of Dragon Age 4.
You realize the youngins they're hiring at this point very likely think KotOR and DA:O are oldskool/hardxcore games, right?

Especially Dragon Age is mentioned a lot, disgusting game. I fucking hate it along with Mass Effect. The art style was disgusting and gameplay mediocre.

Even tough I dont like Star Wars, both Kotor was fun. Kotor 2 made me wish there was a modern Dune rpg, kreya was a copy of a Bene Gesserit witch.

Iteration is important in videogames, but Obsidian just feels like its out of touch, I am happy we get flawed shit like Torment and at least Age of Decadence and Underrail were a blast.
Look at warhammer quest, simple as shit and entertained. Darkest Dungeon is another good example.

Why the fuck am I rambling like this I apologize it was a rough night, my dog ate rat poison from a neighbour and I had to take care of her the whole night.
I hope one night was enough to chop up the neighbour and get rid of the pieces in acid :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom