Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Tyranny Dev Diary #7: Companion Overview - Verse

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Nick Carver; Obsidian Entertainment; Paul Kirsch; Tyranny

As promised earlier, the latest Tyranny bi-weekly dev diary is about Verse, the roguish female companion we saw in last month's gameplay preview. As many people suspected, she's a member of the Scarlet Chorus faction, and like Barik from the previous update, she suffers from an unusual magical condition. Here's an excerpt from the update:

Everyone who joins the Chorus gets a new name. The name “Verse” was a compliment from the Voices of Nerat, who – in one of his crazier, artistic moments – heard music in the shrieking and howling of battle. He said that hers stood out louder than anyone else’s, and contained too many parts to be easily defined.

Verse has a special knack for learning the combat styles of others. She could spend five minutes watching a grizzled veteran wield a spear and know the form as if she had used it across a hundred battles. During the war, this talent manifested in an unexpected fashion. During a battle with the defenders of Apex, Verse suddenly froze in panic – a totally unheard-of reflex, coming from seemingly out of nowhere. The Scarlet Furies fighting alongside her died in battle because of this spasm of hesitation.

What happened next was stranger still: Verse felt the deaths of her sister Furies like a part of her mind getting ripped apart, and she stumbled from battle possessing knowledge of the battle stances and weapon acuity of her sister Furies – an unintended, almost parasitic reflex that fascinated and disgusted her.

Verse hates herself for the hesitation that stayed at her hand, and feels revulsion for everything that came after, which casts her instinctive need to challenge others and prove herself in perhaps a sadder light.

Combat Role

Verse was designed to blend between melee and ranged combat with ease, acting as a highly mobile single target damage dealer. Verse’s talent trees support this synergy between short and long ranged combat and allow her to perform the roles of melee assassin or ranged archer on the fly. Verse also possesses unique combat stances that allow her to further match the party’s needs in the heat of the moment.

When designing Verse’s talent trees, we started by splitting them by Melee or Ranged combat specialization. Deep in each of Verse’s trees lie talents that place strong emphasis on one style or another. Talents at earlier tiers are focused on value for both melee and ranged combat, maintaining synergy for users interested in a hybrid approach or those that enjoy switching styles frequently. Verse’s Duelist tree features a twin blade strategy geared around rushing through the fray and unleashing flurries of deadly melee strikes on weaker targets. Her Skirmisher tree is built around escape tactics and long range devastation via bow and burning arrow.

A few of Verse’s notable abilities:

Know Your Enemy: A talent which allows Verse to study her enemies in combat. This allows Verse to become increasingly more deadly the longer that a combat spans, increasing her Dodge and Parry each time she is struck by an enemy. As a quick thinking fighter, Know Your Enemy helps sell the idea that Verse won’t fall for the same combat trick twice.

Rush: As a Scarlet Fury, Verse is no stranger to sprinting into danger with a wave of Chorus allies at her back. The Rush ability gives players the chance to send Verse like a streak of lightning through the enemy ranks, drastically increasing Verse’s movement speed for a short time and making her immune to engagement.

Killing Spree: After felling a foe, Verse will enter a Killing Spree where she attacks multiple times with each of her basic attacks.

Burning Iron: Verse launches a single arrow doused in oil and flame. When it strikes, it ignites her enemy, burning them for Fire damage over time.

Unbound: Verse performs a spinning attack and vaults through the air to a safe location. A remnant of one of Verse’s fallen sisters appears in her place to face her foes.

Verse is a first and foremost a deadly assassin, her ability to dispatch high priority targets and remain mobile on the battlefield makes her well suited for the task. Abilities like Killing Spree and Know Your Enemy give Verse the momentum to tear down nearly any foe. While Verse is capable of dishing copious amounts of damage, she is notably more vulnerable than iron-clad counterparts such as Barik. Those with Verse in their party should expect to keep a keen watch to prevent her from getting in over her head. Abilities like Unbound and Rush are great offensive and escape abilities, though if on cooldown, Verse loses her mobility advantage and is left vulnerable.

With her highly active kit and powerful single target abilities, Verse feels like a storm on the battlefield, aggressive, relentless, and apt for dispatching key foes.
The next Tyranny update will not be about a companion, but about the game's late Bronze Age-inspired setting and how it will be reflected in terms of items and lore. That should make for an interesting Codex discussion thread, I think.

Septaryeth

Augur
I started scrolling down when I realized it's actually spoiling the entire background of the character, including her personality.
Combat is one thing, but what is this? Another "Tales" title? Obsidian is making online dating simulator now? :decline:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
They're so detached from reality, they think this kind of shit actually hypes the game...

I bet in their minds this is a hardcore RPG for hardcore players, but also ready for the modern audience.

And then they'll be puzzled why nobody gives a shit about it.

This is going to be worse than PoE by orders of magnitude.

It's good that Infinitron still hopes for "interesting discussion" about it, though. Guess more laughing at "grognards" and appreciation for game design school "design" makes for an interesting discussion.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I bet in their minds this is a hardcore RPG for hardcore players, but also ready for the modern audience.
After the absolute disaster of this project, publishers will be even less likely to back an RPG project. They're doing everyone a huge disfavor. When I think about it, I'm so angry my vision goes black for a moment.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
After the absolute disaster of this project, publishers will be even less likely to back an RPG project. They're doing everyone a huge disfavor. When I think about it, I'm so angry my vision goes black for a moment.
Wow, aren't you a visionist visionary?

Bester: Yep, this project is a disaster. Afterall, it is building upon the PoE, and it even caters some more to the mainstream audiance.
Reality: The game will have good reviews and will probably sell quite well among the RPG audiance.

If one thing, this will make publishers back projects like this. Wait, didn't the success of PoE helped convincing Paradox to fund Tyranny? Oh yes it did.

This is going to be worse than PoE by orders of magnitude.
You mean it will be worse than the critically and financially successfull PoE? :smug:

Last edited:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Reality: The game will have good reviews and will probably sell quite well among the RPG audiance.

Talk about being a "visionist".

But by RPG audience you mean those that buy Bioware and Bethesda games, right?
OK, sure, they can have it. After all, for all its history Obsidian has only tried to be Bioware and more recently Bethesda Junior.

You mean it will be worse than the critically and financially successfull PoE? :smug:

Critical and financial, both completely irrelevant terms, especially these days.

Sannom

Augur
They're so detached from reality, they think this kind of shit actually hypes the game...
Well, Verse already has fanarts one day after her reveal. Granted, it's the hair that seems to have grabbed the most attention, but still...

You are quite the visionary my good sir. Now to see if you will be a Cassandra or a neocon economist.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Talk about being a "visionist".
I'm basing this on the performance of a very similar game, PoE. It can fail, of course, but the things we have seen so far seem good from a mainstream -semi hardcore RPG player perspective.

But by RPG audience you mean those that buy Bioware and Bethesda games, right?
OK, sure, they can have it. After all, for all its history Obsidian has only tried to be Bioware and more recently Bethesda Junior.
Well there is a whole world outside of the Codex, it is just logical that you have to make compromises when you design an RPG.

Critical and financial, both completely irrelevant terms, especially these days.
:retarded: Whaaaaaaaaat? Is there anything more relevant for a company than to make critically and financially successfull games, which - by the way - they like making? They had a game which people liked, which brought in money, and which they liked working on. What's more? Oh yes, the most important is that the codex must love it, that is the most important measure of success.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Tyranny has a built-in audience of all those people extremely irate over Tides of Numenera being turn-based. :M

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Tags: Obsidian Entertainment; Paul Kirsch; Tyranny

Verse has a special knack for learning the combat styles of others. She could spend five minutes watching a grizzled veteran wield a spear and know the form as if she had used it across a hundred battles..

They go full Marvel here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taskmaster
Taskmaster is a mysterious figure believed to have been born in Brooklyn, New York City. He has the ability to mimic the physical movements of anyone he witnesses; writers differ on whether this counts as a "super power". He claims that he has had this ability since childhood. He works as a combat instructor and trains others to become lackeys for other villains by utilizing the techniques he has learned from his observation of superheroes and participates in mercenary jobs from time to time.

Tony Masters first demonstrated unusual abilities during childhood. After watching a cowboy show on television, he found himself able to duplicate the sophisticated rope tricks he had just watched the cowboy perform. Psychiatrists, called in at the mother's request, determined that the boy had a form of photographic memory which they called "photographic reflexes". He employed his power several times during his youth for personal gain, most notably when he became a star quarterback of his high school football team after watching one pro football game.

I would appreciate a more low-magic approach though, so that skills wouldn't always be based on some sort of supernatural magical conditions.

BlackGoat

Arbiter
tyranny_dev_diary_07__verse_portrait.png

asfK7qb.jpg

Sannom

Augur
@ BlackGoat

Well, thank you, I was hesitating between a rooster or a skink, but I think this one takes the cake.

himmy

Arcane
I like how many people around here seem to think that if they repeat the ”this game will be a disaster” mantra on Codex threads enough, then the mainstream critics are going to give give it bad reviews and that people won't buy it out of sheer respect for the Internet opinion of people who believe that the last good video game was made in 1987.

Last edited:

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
If there's a chance an AAA title to be called shit by the press, it's this game.

- The press doesn't like when a game reuses the same assets from a previous title, even though it's not a bad thing in itself.
- There isn't a 70k crowd who backed this project and is therefore incapable of accepting the fact that they backed a pile of shit. This time, it's going to be more objective.
- Without a beta that PoE had, this thing will be so bug ridden, it'll put VtMB to shame. Of course there's a chance paradox will intervene and force them to fix this, but I hope not.

- Now people and game journalists are incapable of carrying out reasonable esthetic judgements. But they'll instinctively feel that they just don't enjoy this shit much. They won't do any soul searching, or analyze its game mechanics, so they'll just write it off to some bullshit like "same assets" or "too many bugs", but the bottom line this game will be 79-81 on metacritic, which amounts to 2/10 basically. This is Obsidian's W2. It'll be boring as fuck and even the plebs will notice it this time.

Wait and see this shit burn. I can't wait already.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy

True.

If one thing, this will make publishers back projects like this. Wait, didn't the success of PoE helped convincing Paradox to fund Tyranny? Oh yes it did

It will not, because isometric games are outdated for most publishers, unless Obsidian can convince them that they can make a MMO with 2D art.

You mean it will be worse than the critically and financially successfull PoE?

Financially successful? Yes, but not by triple-A standards. Critically successful? If by that, you mean that was received positively by causal journals, then yes. If by that, you mean it was received positively by players who can discern good cRPGs from garbage, then no.

These criticisms against Obsidian are losing steam and getting repetitive. It’s pretty obvious right now that their developers are only worried about catering to a wider audience and shameless copying the worse design elements of other triple-A games. Obsidian is a wannabe Bioware without triple-A funding. I only hope that they achieve this goal and became another disgraceful triple-A studio so that we can move on and put this shit to rest. That way any illusions that Tim Cain will be the savior of cRPGs, that Obsidian stuff is somehow related to the cRPGs we want, or that codexers who enjoy their games are not popamoles, will end.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
I like how many people around here seem to think that if they repeat the ”this game will be a disaster” mantra on Codex threads enough, then the mainstream critics are going to give give it bad reviews and that people won't buy it out of sheer respect for the Internet opinion of people who believe that the last good video game was made in 1987.

In most cases is the opposite, really. The more codexers bitch about a game, the higher are the chances that will make financial success.

Sizzle

Arcane
If there's a chance an AAA title to be called shit by the press, it's this game.

Made in Unity with the majority of the assets and ruleset from another game, for a not-really-all-that-popular-genre (IE clone) - doubt this game can be categorized as an AAA release.

Without a beta that PoE had, this thing will be so bug ridden, it'll put VtMB to shame.

And you base this on what exactly? Apart from wishful thinking, that is?

They're making it in the engine and similar ruleset of PoE, if anything - it should be more bug-free.

Of course there's a chance paradox will intervene and force them to fix this, but I hope not.

So you can have fun bitching at all the bugs you presume the game will have, or will you not even play it, but still take pleasure in the perceived "Ha! Told you it was bound to be shit! Obsidian sucks, hope they go out of business soon!" thing many of the edgier Codexers seem to have going on?

Wait and see this shit burn. I can't wait already.

Oh. Well, that answers that.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Granted for AAA, I meant a video game that's not indie. Forgot the right term.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
. Critically successful? If by that, you mean that was received positively by causal journals, then yes. If by that, you mean it was received positively by players who can discern good cRPGs from garbage, then no.
Oh cut that elitist bullshit that only the idiot gamers liked PoE meanwhile the monocled ones knew that it was shit. Nobody cares about the monocled, mostly Codexian players. Face the reality, gamers on average like PoE. Not just the "casual journals", but gamers who are interested in isometric RPGs overall.

Steam: 88% of players recommend PoE
Metacritic: user rating 83%

I know that numbers are meaningless but if we have to measure the overall sentiment towards PoE, they are at least some indicators.

Some people really should stop being delusional. If we look at the whole audiance, PoE was critically acclaimed, and no smugness and Codexian edginess will change this.

Financially successful? Yes, but not by triple-A standards.
And PoE is not a AAA game and Obsidian is not a AAA company. I don't think anybody expected it to sell like a AAA game, and Obsidian couldn't have done anything to make it sell like a AAA game. Not with this much money, not an isometric, semi-hardcore RPG. PoE performed very nice in the long run, even if the sales slowed down a little after the first 6 months. Thankfully the expansions and the sales gave it another boost.

I only hope that they achieve this goal and became another disgraceful triple-A studio so that we can move on
Who is holding you back from moving on? You don't have to wait until Obsidian goes to shit, you can stop caring about them right now.

Last edited:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Of course there's a chance paradox will intervene and force them to fix this, but I hope not.

So you can have fun bitching at all the bugs you presume the game will have, or will you not even play it, but still take pleasure in the perceived "Ha! Told you it was bound to be shit! Obsidian sucks, hope they go out of business soon!" thing many of the edgier Codexers seem to have going on?

This is the worst, most annoying, scummy attitude the Codex has to offer. He'd rather wants this game to be bad to see obsidian burn, telling "I told you so" than getting a good game. How low can someone sink...

Last edited:

BlackGoat

Arbiter
@ BlackGoat

Well, thank you, I was hesitating between a rooster or a skink, but I think this one takes the cake.
Also explains the claw marks on her face.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom