Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Tyranny Dev Diary #5: Combat Mechanics

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Brian Heins; Obsidian Entertainment; Tyranny

After two lore-centric updates, today's Tyranny dev diary from Brian Heins marks a return to glorious crunch. It's all about the nitty gritty of the game's combat mechanics. For the most part, it's what you'd expect from an adaption of the Pillars of Eternity combat model to a skill-based character system, but there are a few surprises. Here are the important bits:

Attack Resolution

When you perform an attack in Tyranny – whether it’s a basic weapon attack, casting a spell, or using an ability – your Accuracy is compared to the target’s Defense to determine how well the attack does. As with Pillars of Eternity, each attack can have one of four possible results: Miss, Graze (attacks deal less damage, status effects are applied for a shorter duration), Hit, or Crit (attacks deal greater damage, and status effects are applied for a longer duration).

Your Accuracy is determined by one or more character skills. A basic attack will use the skill associated with the weapon you’re attacking with. A spell will use the magic skill for that type of spell and the character’s Lore skill. If more than one skill is used, their values are averaged together to produce the final skill value. Accuracy bonuses from weapons or abilities are added to that base value to determine the final Accuracy for the attack. The skills used to determine Accuracy are also the skills you gain experience in for that attack.

Each attack targets one of five possible Defenses: Parry, Dodge, Endurance, Will, or Magic. Enemies and party members have different strengths and weaknesses in these defenses, making some attacks better options against one type of enemy than another.

Accuracy is compared to Defense, and the resulting difference is used to modify the combat result table. Higher Accuracy results in a greater chance to Crit or Hit, reducing the chance to Graze or Miss. A lower Accuracy has the opposite effect, making you Graze or Miss more often.

Taking Damage

Damage in Tyranny works similarly to Pillars. We have multiple damage types based on the armor a character wears: Slash, Pierce, Crush, Burn, Shock, Frost, Corrode, and Arcane. Different enemies have strengths and weaknesses against different types of damage. To maximize the pain you inflict, you’ll want to target your enemies with damage types they are weak against.

Armor is still important to mitigate damage, but we also wanted to give more options for different character builds. Heavier armors (bronze or iron) provide Armor, which reduces damage dealt down to a minimum of 1. We’ve also added a new stat to lighter armors called Deflection. Deflection provides a chance that an attack will be downgraded one level (IE: a Crit becomes a Hit, a Hit becomes a Graze, or a Graze becomes a Miss). Deflection can be increased by the Finesse stat, and by talents and other items you can find in the game.

Tyranny handles hit points differently than Pillars did. Instead of the combination of Health and Endurance, we have a single Health bar to focus on. As attacks deal damage, your character’s Health is reduced. When it reaches 0, a character falls unconscious (or dies, depending on game options). Characters can be revived using special abilities or consumables, or they will regain consciousness at the end of combat and begin regenerating Health.

We’ve also added the Wound system. When your character falls unconscious, they will gain a Wound – more than one on the hardest difficulty settings. On harder difficulties, you’ll also gain a Wound when a character reaches low health. When a character is Wounded, their max health is reduced and all of their skills suffer a small penalty. Wounds can stack and will remain on a character until they rest.

Other Combat Changes

We’ve made several other changes to combat, a few of which I want to highlight:

Interrupt: We still have interrupt in Tyranny, but we’ve simplified this a bit. Unlike Pillars, we don’t have a separate Interrupt roll. Only some abilities will interrupt the target. When those abilities Hit or Crit, they will interrupt (Grazes and Misses do not interrupt). An interrupted target has any queued actions cleared and enters recovery. The length of their recovery depends on how strong the ability’s interrupt was.

Consumables: We’ve changed how consumables work in Tyranny. They’re now an instant action, meaning the effects apply as soon as you use the consumable, even if the character is on recovery. Once a character uses a consumable, all consumables for that character are on cooldown for a short duration. This allows you to rescue a character at low health, but you can’t just spam healing potions to make your party members invincible.

Friendly Fire: We’ve removed friendly fire from abilities in Tyranny. I wanted players to be able to focus on maximizing their damage to enemies, without worrying about harming their own party members in the process.​

Some of these changes, such as the health regeneration, instant consumable use, and removal of friendly fire, are obviously straight-up streamlining meant to bring the game in line with the likes of Dragon Age. But other changes, such as the replacement of the all-purpose Deflection defense score with separate Parry and Dodge scores, the addition of a new Deflection mechanic for light armors, and the more restricted Interrupt mechanic, look like an attempt to tighten up some of Pillars of Eternity's systems. Perhaps we'll see similar changes in Pillars of Eternity 2.

Shin

Cipher
a few years ago I wouldn't have believed how bored I would be now reading about Obsidian's new games. PoE was a failed experiment but I gave them the benefit of the doubt since they were aiming to redo BG. But seeing how they came up with this shit for their new IP makes me very disappointed. :decline:

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
No friendly fire: Gamers should not suffer from complexity, upsetting thoughts and math
89ce9eafcdef5a8141147fba4310e684.jpg

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
The most pathetic thing are the instant consumables that ignore recovery time. Do people really need this?

Isn't that also one of the controversial changes made to the Risen series over the years? Looks like it might be a thing people complain about.

Notorious

Augur
God damn it I'm still reading tranny every single time, am I suppressing something?

Also combat looks boring... again. I hope it will at least offer tactical challenges if they cannot offer a good ruleset and encounters that could be described with "interesting" and not "generic" "uninspired" "random".

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
That Gifted1 guy is pretty awful. He holds some bizarre passive-aggressive grudge against Josh Sawyer and PoE on account of the game's hardcore mechanics, and refuses to even try it. A less tolerant company would have kicked him out of his moderator role long ago.

There is no such thing.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
That Gifted1 guy is pretty awful. He holds some bizarre passive-aggressive grudge against Josh Sawyer and PoE on account of the game's hardcore mechanics, and refuses to even try it. A less tolerant company would have kicked him out of his moderator role long ago.

There is no such thing.

Get out of your echo chamber. In the gaming world at large, mechanics such as limited rest supplies and the concept of per-rest abilities in general are considering cripplingly hardcore. For him, they're a dealbreaker.

Self-Ejected

vivec

Self-Ejected
Making the combat easier is *good* thing. It's best to be done with it as fast can be possible. In fact, I hope there is very little of it.

Get out of your echo chamber and realize that in the gaming world at large, mechanics such as limited rest supplies and the concept of per-rest abilities in general are considering cripplingly hardcore. For him, they're a dealbreaker.

He is right, if he finds it tedious. These elements add nothing to the game.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
No friendly fire and instant consumable use? Why? Fucking why? Are those really that big of a problam to retarded players that they can't handle it?

Friendly Fire: We’ve removed friendly fire from abilities in Tyranny. I wanted players to be able to focus on maximizing their damage to enemies, without worrying about harming their own party members in the process.
Fuck you! I don't want to maximize damage by just spamming fireballs! I want to maximize damage with good positioning and clever use of the abilities!

Other than that, the combat looks similar to PoE, which was quite good. But instead of improving it, they downgrade it with that two bullshit move.

Oh, and did I see it correctly in the videos that the engagement mechanics is still in the game? So instead of getting read of that fucked up shit, they remove 2 options which were working well.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
It is true that they appear to be designing this game with Dragon Age-style "the player can control only his main character if he wants to" gameplay in mind.

Self-Ejected

vivec

Self-Ejected
No friendly fire and instant consumable use? Why? Fucking why? Are those really that big of a problam to retarded players that they can't handle it?
The AI was probably just nuking itself to death too often. You have to read between the lines.
:hearnoevil:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom