Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Tyranny Dev Diary #2: The Basic Character System

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
I will feel the vitality rising inside of me when I add 1 might for that sweet meaningful +3% damage.

Smarminess aside, RPGs aren't good if you take each component at face value. We need to see the skills and some content to properly judge how good of a system this is.

Tigranes

Arcane
No real point gnashing about the attributes or whatnot until we see how they work together. The question is whether they can do learn by doing right, something which happens very rarely. Few years down the line we'll be able to compare CSG and Tyranny approaches, I guess.

The UI is pretty basic but I am always a sucker for faux-Greek aesthetics.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
I believe they advertised the streamlining exactly to avoid the backlash by grognards. It is still business. But I agree that it is a respectable way of doing business.

It is a respectable way of avoiding backlash, bunch of sellouts. R.I.P, Obsidian.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
Besides the obvious one on vitality, it doesn't seem bad. Though I am not a fan of real-time with pause combat that Pillars use, I would prefer either turn based or just go full Diablo.

Xenich

Cipher
"This stat increases X by Y%."

"Here's your talent tree."

It's a superficial and biased takeaway, but fuck it, I can't be bothered to give them the benefit of the doubt after the last few years.

OK. I dunno, seems to me like it being Skyrim with a touch of Dragon Age (which is obviously what it's trying to be, no superficiality here) is bad enough.

It's a streamlined combat system trying to attract a wider audience. They've openly admitted that, which is pretty admirable, I think. Compare with the SCL guys who tried to hide it until the last possible moment.

Exactly, Skyrim with a touch of DA which both were created according to streamlined mainstream MMO design style.

Part of the decline of cRPGs was their need to copy WoW, hell... the need for pretty much everyone to copy WoW and the thing is that WoWs character development design even in its early days was horrible console arcade design (cool down systems need to die in a fire).

What that tells me is they are less interested in making a game and more interested in selling fast food. That means they aren't making games anymore, they are pushing product which is why the "gamers" should not patronize companies as these because they are the entire reason we have issues with these mainstream dumbed down boy band concepts.

Lets be honest here though, they aren't making games for "everyone", they are making games for the mainstream crowd by appealing to the lowest common denominator. Saying they are making games for "everyone" is like saying the Backstreet Boys was music made for "everyone". This isn't a game, it is a marketing gimmick.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Smarminess aside, RPGs aren't good if you take each component at face value. We need to see the skills and some content to properly judge how good of a system this is.

Oh, really? This review about PoE didn't me give too much hopes about Obsidian. :)

The truth is that the developers at Obsidian always posed as RPG geeks, but they actually don’t give a shit anymore. Everything, from the interviews and recent games, to their plans for the future, shows that they simply don’t give a damn about cRPGs anymore. They are deliberately trying to make products that look like cRPGs by copying the worst formulas on the industry in the laziest way possible. The success of Pillars only motivated them to descent even more.

Xenich

Cipher

Oh, really? This review about PoE didn't me give too much hopes about Obsidian. :)

The truth is that the developers at Obsidian always posed as RPG geeks, but they actually don’t give a shit anymore. Everything, from the interviews and recent games, to their plans for the future, shows that they simply don’t give a damn about cRPGs anymore. They are deliberately trying to make products that look like cRPGs by copying the worst formulas on the industry in the laziest way possible. The success of Pillars only motivated them to descent even more.

Obsidian aren't gamers, they a fucking posers who wouldn't know game if it was beaten into them Goodfella's style.

All of the good developers retired during the decline age. Those who are left were various piss-ant jobs (like BD's resident modeler turned CEO) who had no real control or direction of the games of old. They are fucking idiots riding nostalgia from a bunch of kids who think they knew what the older games were about.

Fry

Arcane
So true. I mean, FFS, the designer of Battlezone hasn't worked in years.

OH CRUEL WORLD, WHERE HAVE ALL THE GREAT DESIGNERS GONE?!?! GIVE ME BACK MY CHILDHOOD!!!

:roll:

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected

Yes? What about it? It is a view of the game's systems taking in account all of their facets. I failed to see how I said anything contradictory.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Yes? What about it? It is a view of the game's systems taking in account all of their facets. I failed to see how I said anything contradictory.

You ended your review saying that they treat the game just as a product, without passion. Nothing that came from Obsidian afterwards suggests a change of heart. On the contrary, we have another uninspired game, a tablet game and a bunch of interviews saying how they were successful with Pillars. Now we have updates from another project with a bunch of red flags. They are reusing the stats from Pillars, copying bad ideas from streamlined games, etc. Of course, you can keep talking about how theoretically we have to consider the system in the game, and be political about it.

All of the good developers retired during the decline age.

We have some exceptions though.

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected

You ended your review saying that they treat the game just as a product, without passion. Nothing that came from Obsidian afterwards suggests a change of heart. On the contrary, we have another uninspired game, a tablet game and a bunch of interviews saying how they were successful with Pillars. Now we have updates from another project with a bunch of red flags. They are reusing the stats from Pillars, copying bad ideas from streamlined games, etc. Of course, you can keep talking about how theoretically we have to consider the system in the game, and be political about it.

My edgelord stat is lower than you think. I rarely dismiss things out of hand and I'd rather be optimistic than cynical. That doesn't mean I am not also very critical as you well know.

duanth123

Arcane

My edgelord stat is lower than you think. I rarely dismiss things out of hand and I'd rather be optimistic than cynical. That doesn't mean I am not also very critical as you well know.

You didn't respond to the points Lurker just made.

I'm interested to know where your optimism on this project comes from and why baseless optimism is any less an undesirable for a supposed critical mind than being an "edgelord", as you put it.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy

Until a few years ago Obsidian was the only hope for cRPG fans in the midst of the decline of game industry. They were perceived as the good guys screwed by evil publishers, the RPG nerds who can’t make their dream game because they don’t’ get funded. Pillars, the expansions, the MMO tank, the tablet game and now Tyranny shows us that the profound reality is that they never really gave a shit. We believed in a lie because we were desperate to belief in something and they used us. Now they realize that they don’t need us anymore, so they don’t even pretend to give a shit. The only thing that is missing for the transformation of Obsidian into Bioware is romances. Sometimes, edginess is the only honest answer for an absurd situation, and this is an absurd situation if I ever saw one. Not being edgy in this circumstance is tantamount to being dishonest.

His optimism comes from nowhere. Don’t mind him. He is too political and sometimes enjoys crappy games such as FO3, Undertale and Shadowruns.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected

Until a few years ago Obsidian was the only hope for cRPG fans in the midst of the decline of game industry. They were perceived as the good guys screwed by evil publishers, the RPG nerds who can’t make their dream game because they don’t’ get funded. Pillars, the expansions, the MMO tank, the tablet game and now Tyranny shows us that the profound reality is that they never really give a shit. We believe in a lie because we were desperate to belief in something and they used us. Now they realize that they don’t need us anymore, so they don’t even pretend to give a shit. The only thing that is missing for the transformation of Obsidian into Bioware is romances. Sometimes, edginess is the only honest answer for an absurd situation, and this is an absurd situation if I ever saw one. Not being edgy in this circumstance is tantamount to being dishonest.

His optimism comes from nowhere. Don’t mind him. He is too political and sometimes enjoys crappy games such as FO3, Undertale and Shadowruns.

Yes because I said I can't wait for this instead of being smarmy...oh wait.

PoE hateboys are just as bad as the fanboys. You are like reverse Junta or Infinitron. I am sorry that making a 40 minute video where I mostly say negative about PoE isn't ideologically pure enough for you. I'll make sure to swear a blood oath over a fire next in the name of Obsidian hatred.

I'd like this to be good instead of bad because I like good games. This mock up of the attribute system isn't enough to judge whether this will be good or bad. This would apply to most RPGs by the way.

Also guilty on the charges of liking the Shadowruns and REALLY liking undertale. But I can't say I really like Fallout 3, I just don't think its the worst game ever made.

With that I am done and I'll just leave this quote "A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject".

Noddy

Augur
Narrow damage range
Pointlessly high health
% based bonuses
Cooldown based
WOW clone talent tree
EVERY ATTRIBUTE IMPORTANT!!!! balancing

Systems are important. This system is garbage. This game will be garbage.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Yes because I said I can't wait for this instead of being smarmy...oh wait.

PoE hateboys are just as bad as the fanboys. You are like reverse Junta or Infinitron. I am sorry that making a 40 minute video where I mostly say negative about PoE isn't ideologically pure enough for you. I'll make sure to swear a blood oath over a fire next in the name of Obsidian hatred.

I'd like this to be good instead of bad because I like good games. This mock up of the attribute system isn't enough to judge whether this will be good or bad. This would apply to most RPGs by the way.

I started posting in threads about PoE defending the game and later on I changed my mind. Your review was solid. What is not solid is your political attitude, pretending that there is nothing else to see in the big picture, as if this update is just business as usual. It is not. We have an attribute system copied from Pillars. If this system didn't work in the original game, why it would be working now? Talent trees reminiscent from popamole games. If they didn’t work in their popamole origins, why they would be different now? Everything screams “THIS IS STREAMLINED COMBAT SYSTEM FOR CAUSALS” and somehow none of this matters. "We will have to wait and see because this is what impartial gamers will do". BULLSHIT.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
All of the good developers retired during the decline age.

We have some exceptions though.

Unfortunately not enough to make an impact on the market.

They don’t need to make a big impact on the market, they need to be sustainable and create a new generation of hardcore players. If 99,9% of the gamers population only bought popamole games, and only 0,1% played hardcore games, this would still be enough if they had enough money on the wallets to fund small studios that know their stuff. What I don’t believe anymore is in midsize studios. They depend too much on kickstarter, media and short design cycles, to release the games I want.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
as long the C&C, lore and story is good, i'll buy it.

who cares for gameplay?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom