Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Tyranny Dev Diary #2: The Basic Character System

although the description of the Vitality attribute might raise a few eyebrows

This is typical Sawyerism: since charisma is supposedly 'useless', let's club it together with a more useful (in combat) attribute, like constitution. Sawyer doesn't work on this game, but it is the same thinking.

So many useless attributes. All you need is hp, stamina and magika as Bethesda already confirmed with Skyrim.

Sawyer heresy slowly corrupting rest of obsidian staff.

Unwanted

Endlösung

Unwanted
So this looks like another PoE, choke full of trashmobs and typical anti AI tactics. The second screen screams arpg garbage...

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I love TES but gain skills by using them systems are almost all utter shit and obsidian is basically retarded

First talent they show and it's a buff that improves... stats.

1081.gif

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I guess there are some similarities, like Quickness being a pretty obvious equivalent of PoE's Dexterity stat (but affecting cooldowns rather than overall speed - does that mean the game has fixed round lengths? AwesomeButton will be pleased.)
On the screenshots I can see they have a stat with an hourglass icon, so I guess Obsidian have finally reached the level of technological advancement when they can display your party members' recovery times, and possibly also a breakdown on hover.

The attribute system looks serviceable, though there is one attribute which affects all three defenses, strange isn't it? Anyway, it's not the system that will make or break the game.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Meh, looks generic as hell... and six talent trees, really? If three are Defense, Power and Leadership, seems safe to asume the others are Stealth, Offensive Spells and Healing Magic or something creative like that.

Level-by-use aside, it actually reminds me of fucking Dragon Age II & Inquisition. Was expecting more from an RPG that apparently wants to try different things with its setting & story.

Meh, looks generic as hell... and six talent trees, really? If three are Defense, Power and Leadership, seems safe to asume the others are Stealth, Offensive Spells and Healing Magic or something creative like that.

Level-by-use aside, it actually reminds me of fucking Dragon Age II & Inquisition. Was expecting more from an RPG that apparently wants to try different things with its setting & story.

Push the envelope, watch it derp

hivemind

also yeah stats looking p banal

will still def pirate tho because curious about how they manage the story

Blackstaff

Arbiter
A skill used progression system in a short game, shitty attributes design and very original talents trees... Yawn...

A :slamdunk: No problem.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Seems this game will have better attribute and skill progression than POE but worse spells.

Trashos

Arcane
Learn-By-Doing will suck hard in Tyranny, and it will suck hard in VD's game too.

Vitality – physical health and force of personality.
"We innovated too much."

Also, let's just say that the girl in the portrait does not fit what I had in mind.

ArchAngel

Arcane
but worse spells.

What makes you say that? One of the highlights of this game is supposed to be a more elaborate magic system with spellcrafting and shit.
Because I am pretty sure they are going to be part of talent tree, there will be less of them and they are going to be even more action RPG and less tactical RPG than PoE or IE games.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
but worse spells.

What makes you say that? One of the highlights of this game is supposed to be a more elaborate magic system with spellcrafting and shit.
Because I am pretty sure they are going to be part of talent tree, there will be less of them and they are going to be even more action RPG and less tactical RPG than PoE or IE games.

Not sure about that - the talent tree could just be for physically-oriented special abilities. In that USGamer interview, Brian Heins mentioned the magic system as the one area where the game isn't streamlined compared to PoE.

I'm not expecting it to be hugely complex but it should be something more than picking an ability out of a talent tree.

Last edited:

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron
Hmm, I like how this dude thinks.
Somewhat rationale attributes (apart from that obvious vitality nonsense) and skill based which evolves based on the challenges these skills are used against. Getting a tingling GURPS feeling thrown in the mix there too, I like that.

Well, good update this time around, better than the last PR bullshit. Consider me tickled.

ArchAngel

Arcane
but worse spells.

Not sure about that - the talent tree could just be for physically-oriented special abilities. In that USGamer interview, Brian Heins mentioned the magic system as the one area where the game isn't streamlined compared to PoE.

I'm not expecting it to be hugely complex but it should be something more than picking an ability out of a talent tree.
Well I hope you are right. One SCL was enough for me :D

MuscleSpark

Augur
Patron
They should remove attribute icons and use words instead (or use both).
It's quite easy to understand what they are by their symbols though. You've got Black Power, Target, Cross the Road, Heart, New Haircut and Information Kiosk.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
How are they going to balance learn-by-doing skills if they want to make it a C&C-centric game? Seems like it's still going to be a very combat centric game.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
How are they going to balance learn-by-doing skills if they want to make it a C&C-centric game? Seems like it's still going to be a very combat centric game.
How I became a master of Obsidian Learn by doing:
1. Pay in advance for one of their games.
2. Learn by doing
3. Don't pay in advance for any more of their games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom