Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Tyranny Dev Diary #1: The Vision for Tyranny

Kaivokz

Arcane
It's RTwP which is very bad.

I must be one of the few who really enjoy RTwP (with auto-pause) as a nice blend of real-time tactics and turn-based tactics. Not that I want to see it everywhere; I voted for TToN to be TB, and I love everything from AoD/Underrail/NuShadowrun to Fire Emblem/Langrisser/Shining Force to Wizardy/traditional JRPGs. It's nice to have a bit of variety, though, so I'm glad PoE and Tyranny are using RTwP systems.

Anyway, cautiously optimistic.

What fun is life if you don't let pretty things excite you every now and then? As with all pretty things, just prepare to be jilted.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
With Tyranny we wanted to create a more nuanced evil.
I will be the dissenting voice and say that this is a step in the wrong direction. When the premise of the story is that you are fighting against evil, then making evil "more nuanced" enriches the story. When the premise of the story is that you are fighting for evil, then making evil "more nuanced" dilutes the story. "It turns out the bad guys just had their own unique belief system and were tired of being systematically slaughtered by the good guys. Was the evil overlord overzealous? Perhaps -- revolutionary leaders are wont to be. But don't forget that the good guys were themselves religious bigots and cultural imperialists -- in the end, they had to be cast down, even if the means here were perhaps a little extreme. But you can temper that by being the moderate and ushering in a golden post-revolutionary era!" Oops, it turns out that playing as the bad guy is just playing as the deconstructionist good guy. :/

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
On the contrary, I think the issue is that there are too many details, but not satisfying details.

See, they have to explain how this isn't your typical fantasy RPG. So they drop all these overarching lore details. Kyros, Archons, Fatebinders.
More like these are either extremely vague or pointless details due to the lack of any context, hence the "ruling nations with necromancy" references. I understand it's too early to get into specifics, but they need to *balance* the info a bit. Lore alone doesn't mean shit (see Pillars with rich lore which was presented in the worst possible way in-game).

On one hand, you get to play a prefect, which is a fantastic idea. Bonus points if you get to crucify a local Jesus for shit-disturbing. On the other hand, this:

xxq4zbop3wefpxa3yrwx.png

...which is generic as fuck action RPG. So am I a fucking prefect, a man/woman/tranny who shapes nations, or a generic hero who runs around in the wilderness killing things? Cause these are two very different concepts and if it's the latter, it doesn't matter what your title is. Personally, I hope that this screen has nothing to do with the game and shows special effects and pretty colors. Still, it's there and a dialogue screen isn't (and don't tell they don't have dialogues yet).

Trashos

Arcane
With Tyranny we wanted to create a more nuanced evil.
I will be the dissenting voice and say that this is a step in the wrong direction. When the premise of the story is that you are fighting against evil, then making evil "more nuanced" enriches the story. When the premise of the story is that you are fighting for evil, then making evil "more nuanced" dilutes the story. "It turns out the bad guys just had their own unique belief system and were tired of being systematically slaughtered by the good guys. Was the evil overlord overzealous? Perhaps -- revolutionary leaders are wont to be. But don't forget that the good guys were themselves religious bigots and cultural imperialists -- in the end, they had to be cast down, even if the means here were perhaps a little extreme. But you can temper that by being the moderate and ushering in a golden post-revolutionary era!" Oops, it turns out that playing as the bad guy is just playing as the deconstructionist good guy. :/

My understanding (which could well be wrong) is that "evil" is mainly a marketing ploy. At the same time, it communicates the message "hey, don't expect to play a conventional type of hero here", which is probably accurate. Also, the "evil" marketing allows them to dismiss the SJW complaints that were bound to appear otherwise.

On these grounds, I don't mind the "nuanced" part at all.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The big question: will Tyranny be a Roguey Playing Game where you have to decide whether or not to violate the privacy of an unhinged hypocrite?

Trashos

Arcane
More like these are either extremely vague or pointless details due to the lack of any context, hence the "ruling nations with necromancy" references. I understand it's too early to get into specifics, but they need to *balance* the info a bit. Lore alone doesn't mean shit (see Pillars with rich lore which was presented in the worst possible way in-game).

On one hand, you get to play a prefect, which is a fantastic idea. Bonus points if you get to crucify a local Jesus for shit-disturbing. On the other hand, this:

xxq4zbop3wefpxa3yrwx.png

...which is generic as fuck action RPG. So am I a fucking prefect, a man/woman/tranny who shapes nations, or a generic hero who runs around in the wilderness killing things? Cause these are two very different concepts and if it's the latter, it doesn't matter what your title is. Personally, I hope that this screen has nothing to do with the game and shows special effects and pretty colors. Still, it's there and a dialogue screen isn't (and don't tell they don't have dialogues yet).

Well, they are a large company and they are probably hoping to improve on PoE numbers. So I don't think there is much chance that they take their material very seriously, even if parts of it sound good on paper.

But you know all that much better than I do.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
On the other hand, this:

xxq4zbop3wefpxa3yrwx.png

...which is generic as fuck action RPG. So am I a fucking prefect, a man/woman/tranny who shapes nations, or a generic hero who runs around in the wilderness killing things?

Yes, I understand that you're stressed out by this combat stuff, but I don't think it explains most people's lack of enthusiasm with this game ATM. Nobody gives a shit about the seven measly screenshots they have on their site. It's all about videos these days, people are waiting for a gameplay video.

But eh, just my opinion, maybe I'm wrong. *shrug*

Last edited:

Trashos

Arcane
Yes, I understand that you're stressed out by this combat stuff, but I don't think it explains most people's lack of enthusiasm with this game ATM. Nobody gives a shit about the five measly screenshots they have on their site. It's all about videos these days, people are waiting for a gameplay video.

But eh, just my opinion, maybe I'm wrong. *shrug*

If the advertised "streamlined combat" doesn't justify a Codexer's lack of enthusiasm, nothing will.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Somebody should ask MCA if the "companion combos" were his idea/inspired by Chrono Trigger.

CRD

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm starting to get excited by those words stating that we will not get punished for choosing the not extremely clear good path that it is obvious the dev want you to choose and if you don't then a punishment comes.

The most ridiculous thing however, is that almost 99% of "good choices", are just retarded choices that no one would do it in that kind of situations on real life and they end breaking all the lore and immersion of the game.

Last edited:
We didn’t want you to be the ‘errand girl of Evil’.
Fed-ex witch quest set in a small town in Scandinavia.

In our next update, I’ll provide some details about some of the basic game systems.
Splendid.

But at least that tells us the game definitely isn't coming out until the second half of the year.
Whatever happens November is a good month to release Tyranny.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom