Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tyranny + Bastard's Wound Expansion Thread

i.Razor

Scholar
Patron
So it's now on GOG. Cool. Can't wait to get home from office.

Vorark

Erudite
PS. Unless I missed something, the "new path to the ending" is simply a few new dialogue options at the end of the game, which allow you to
pledge your allegiance to Kyros no matter what you've done up to this point (so, for example, even if you've followed the Anarchist path, you can still proclaim that "everything I've done I've done for Kyros' Glory" and have his armies stand down in the ending slides).

aa0.png

Anyway, seems base game is now fleshed enough to warrant a playthrough.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
Didn't play the game but the Main theme (which plays in the trailer) is breddy gud.
Actually surprised it's the same guy behind POE's.

I find it kinda sad that they added the option to stay allied with Kyros at all. It definitely felt like the game's original ending was sequel bait, and say what you will about how frustrating and incomplete that made the game feel, but this move would make a sequel a lot tougher to make. They might've cancelled the potential follow-up and are now simply trying to improve this one as a standalone title as much as possible before Paradox pulls the plug. If this isn't the case, then by allowing for two very different world states for the player to be in by the end (either being for or against the grand overlord of all existence), they've massively dicked themselves over. It's definitely commendable that Obsidian at least tries to offer C&C, but I can't imagine that they have the cash to make a Tyranny sequel with a branching path started by a minor patch from the previous game. Certainly not to do it well.

As a related aside, I then wonder how much more DLC/patching Tyranny will receive. If they change the end game to allow for genuine consequences (IE, standing up to Kyros actually leads to something other than the credits) then Tyranny would be a much better standalone experience, but then the whole thing just circles back around to the idea that they don't have the money to do anything that interesting in the first place.

bminorkey

I find it kinda sad that they added the option to stay allied with Kyros at all. It definitely felt like the game's original ending was sequel bait, and say what you will about how frustrating and incomplete that made the game feel, but this move would make a sequel a lot tougher to make. They might've cancelled the potential follow-up and are now simply trying to improve this one as a standalone title as much as possible before Paradox pulls the plug. If this isn't the case, then by allowing for two very different world states for the player to be in by the end (either being for or against the grand overlord of all existence), they've massively dicked themselves over. It's definitely commendable that Obsidian at least tries to offer C&C, but I can't imagine that they have the cash to make a Tyranny sequel with a branching path started by a minor patch from the previous game. Certainly not to do it well.

As a related aside, I then wonder how much more DLC/patching Tyranny will receive. If they change the end game to allow for genuine consequences (IE, standing up to Kyros actually leads to something other than the credits) then Tyranny would be a much better standalone experience, but then the whole thing just circles back around to the idea that they don't have the money to do anything that interesting in the first place.

I mean did u actually get the new ending yet? Nobody knows what it is yet AFAIK

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
This expansion's gonna flop, isn't it.

They need to just drop Tyranny. What a waste of an opportunity to create a new IP.

Hellion

Arcane
It's not that the expansion is "bad", per se. If someone liked everything the base game has to offer then he'll certainly enjoy Bastard's Wound.

It's just that it mostly adds more of the same, without fixing any of the stuff that stood out as needing to be fixed or at least expanded upon. Like the abrupt ending or the tedious, grindy battles against a tiny variety of enemies.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's not that the expansion is "bad", per se. If someone liked everything the base game has to ever then he'll certainly enjoy Bastard's Wound.

It's just that it mostly adds more of the same, without fixing any of the stuff that stood out as needing to be fixed or at least expanded upon. Like the abrupt ending or the tedious, grindy battles against a tiny variety of enemies.

It's not that the diarrhea is "gross" , per se. If someone liked everything that normal shitting has to ever then he'll certainly enjoy Diarrhea.

It's just that it mostly adds more of the same, without fixing any of the stuff that stood out as needing to be fixed or at least expanded upon. Like the smell or the annoying, grindy irritation against the bowels.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In

They need to just drop Tyranny. What a waste of an opportunity to create a new IP.

Meh... it's Paradox's IP. No great loss.
A bunch of Obsidian's employees spent years of their lives making a mediocre game that hardly anyone cared about. That's kind of a big loss.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/09/07/tyranny-bastards-wound-released-today/

While Tyranny proved to be one of Obsidian’s most subversive and unusual RPGs, I’d recommend waiting for reviews for this one. I’ve got to keep my impressions to myself until after 2PM BST today, but let’s just say that my return to the Tiers didn’t lack for issues.

Uh oh!

I was curious how Gamer Network sites (Luftwaffe of the current Obsidian Media Blitz funded by Paradox) will review this DLC.

I guess they choose not to? USGamer just did a roundup: http://www.usgamer.net/articles/tyr...is-out-today-but-critics-aren't-too-impressed

Reviews for the expansion have been generally mixed, with praise for how Bastard's Wound weaves into the main game of the base Tyranny game. However, it's not quite essential for the game with the harshest critiques reserved for how unmemorable the expansion ends.

[...]

At $15 the expansion is probably targeted for players who want more of Tyranny, but the common consensus appears to be that while Bastard's Wound might not be the robust addition players want, more Tyranny now and in the future is a welcomed prospect.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/09/07/tyranny-bastards-wound-released-today/

While Tyranny proved to be one of Obsidian’s most subversive and unusual RPGs, I’d recommend waiting for reviews for this one. I’ve got to keep my impressions to myself until after 2PM BST today, but let’s just say that my return to the Tiers didn’t lack for issues.

Uh oh!

I was curious how Gamer Network sites (Luftwaffe of the current Obsidian Media Blitz funded by Paradox) will review this DLC.

I guess they choose not to? USGamer just did a roundup: http://www.usgamer.net/articles/tyrannys-bastards-wound-expansion-is-out-today-but-critics-aren't-too-impressed

Reviews for the expansion have been generally mixed, with praise for how Bastard's Wound weaves into the main game of the base Tyranny game. However, it's not quite essential for the game with the harshest critiques reserved for how unmemorable the expansion ends.

[...]

At $15 the expansion is probably targeted for players who want more of Tyranny, but the common consensus appears to be that while Bastard's Wound might not be the robust addition players want, more Tyranny now and in the future is a welcomed prospect.

Yeah, I just realized that the PCGamesN reviewer pointedly linked to his review from RPS rather than posting it there directly. Amusing.

Fry

Arcane

Meh... it's Paradox's IP. No great loss.
A bunch of Obsidian's employees spent years of their lives making a mediocre game that hardly anyone cared about. That's kind of a big loss.

They got paid, the company got paid, and now they can move on to something better.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom