Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tyranny + Bastard's Wound Expansion Thread

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Throwing shade, eh? Mad your favourite company didn't give you a key? :M

Hey, I wasn't necessarily thinking (only) about you.

We've gotten a key for our reviewer, btw

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
They gave a 9.0/10 to PoE, same reviewer. So basically "worse than PoE, but not much worse".

badler

Obsidian Entertainment
Developer
Greetings fellow Fatebinders!

This is a place where you can tell your story as you carve a path to complete and total domination in the lands of Teratus!

We've made it easier than ever for you to share your story with our new and awesome "My Profile" tool! All you need to do is login at https://www.tyrannygame.com/ and as you play the game you will see all your stats, your story choices and other interesting bits and bobs about your progress. You can, ofc, also share this with all your friends and fellow Fatebinders!

Everybody who criticises Tyranny here should provide a link to their personal storyline first, so we can make sure they didn't pirate the game.

And I want Obsidian team to come here and tell me that they really tried to make a good game this time and they didn't just winged it just to make a couple of bucks to stay afloat,I just want to be sure.

Okay. We tried to make a good game.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Oh, hey Brandon. Can you help AW8 with his problem?

Also is your game unfinished and/or going to be continued with DLC

badler

Obsidian Entertainment
Developer
Not sure what's happening with AW8's build. It isn't normal to see those kind of loading problems with streamed assets (like portraits or VO). I think I remember some people seeing that on PoE, but I'll have to look to see what the solution was for that.

As for DLC, there are talks going on regarding it. I am not in those talks so I can't really speak to how far along they are.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
They gave a 9.0/10 to PoE, same reviewer. So basically "worse than PoE, but not much worse".

Not necessarily worse, either:

Pillars of Eternity, Obsidian's previous RPG, was brilliant in its own ways too, but it was chained to the traditions of Infinity Engine games in the vein of Baldur's Gate 2. Tyranny shares that look (and Pillars' Infinity-style engine), but is freed from nostalgic obligations and allowed to experiment. It emerges as one of the most remarkable RPGs of our day because of its themes and its devotion to making our choices play out in meaningful ways.

His negatives mostly concern the story and ending, as well as the gamey character of skill gain ("I sometimes found myself choosing answers that would eventually lead to a new skill rather than what I'd actually say in character").

He even thinks the combat is "more gratifying" than in PoE.

Fairfax

Arcane

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Eh, we'll see! How many people here are playing the game, anyway? We need to form a Codex consensus to judge the review against. Let me look at Steam...

22 friends already own this game

It's a start, I guess.

ArchAngel

Arcane
This is a place where you can tell your story as you carve a path to complete and total domination in the lands of Teratus!

We've made it easier than ever for you to share your story with our new and awesome "My Profile" tool! All you need to do is login at https://www.tyrannygame.com/ and as you play the game you will see all your stats, your story choices and other interesting bits and bobs about your progress. You can, ofc, also share this with all your friends and fellow Fatebinders!

Everybody who criticises Tyranny here should provide a link to their personal storyline first, so we can make sure they didn't pirate the game.
Everyone who criticised everyone who criticises Tyranny should provide a link to the photo of their voting paper that proves they voted for Trump so we can make sure to not remove them from the Codex.
:M+M:M

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
What could be nice is if there was the option to have the keywords appear highlighted only the first time you've seen/read them in the game.

Sentinel

Arcane

Everyone who criticised everyone who criticises Tyranny should provide a link to the photo of their voting paper that proves they voted for Trump so we can make sure to not remove them from the Codex.
:M+M:M
Now that's talking :mrpresident::cheersmate:

agris

Arcane
Patron
badler is there any chance we could get an option to disable color-highlighted keywords/hotlinks in dialogue?
I would settle for an option to disable the coloring, but let the player still get the info on mouse-over. Not sure if that's what you meant or not.

badler

Obsidian Entertainment
Developer
badler is there any chance we could get an option to disable color-highlighted keywords/hotlinks in dialogue? This is a good example posted earlier in the thread:

pISXCVB.png

The colored words are distracting and disrupt the reading flow, the feature is more of an element of annoyance than a convenience, especially since these are terms the player will get to know through exposition anyways. It would be nice if we got the option to disable them, similar to how you can hide Skill checks and reputation hits in PoE which was a great feature. (That is still a thing in Tyranny, right?)

I'm currently back on the PoE team, but I'll pass on the suggestion to Tyranny's lead producer.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I like the idea of keywords and hypertext and don't mind the coloring, but it is disappointing how short/scant many of those codex entries actually are. Sometimes you just get a rehash of the same things already said in the text, with just a few additional sentences that don't really go much deeper or much more detailed.

Neanderthal

Arcane
So gotta ask can we be full on evil? Rape, skullfuck, burn children an devour flesh, speak french, bathe in blood o slaughtered, practise some o them real inventive torture methods, you know usual.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
So gotta ask can we be full on evil? Rape, skullfuck, burn children an devour flesh, speak french, bathe in blood o slaughtered, practise some o them real inventive torture methods, you know usual.

Of course not. You get to choose between saving a guy from the scaffold at the cost of an angry mob or just letting him hang, even though you know he's innocent to preserve the wider peace...

Type bollox.

Neanderthal

Arcane
bollox.

I'd really like to end a game sat on a bone throne, sippin beer out o me enemies skull, while impaled corpses scream behind me. Ah well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom