Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tyranny + Bastard's Wound Expansion Thread

Shadenuat

Arcane
My impressions from 2 first hours:
- Combat and combat encounters are terrible, no resources, rotate abilities by cooldown, spam AoE like fuck don't care about anything
(But I did get raeped by the guy with acid rain but I was like level 1.5)
- You are bombarded with lore about the setting that is not interesting and has nothing about Bronze Age or history at all. AT. ALL. I don't even know history that well (bronze age especially) but these people neither know, respect or take inspiration from history, it's looks or events. I mean, just look at the portraits you get to choose and overall looks of the game. bronze weapons might as well be forged by fucking elves from LoTR movies.
- You are bombarded with small choices yet none of them feel at least as important as fighting asassin in prologue of AoD (although at least one another playthrough is required to prove it so I'll hold on to this one)
WHY THE FUCK AM I MAKING ALL THESE DECISIONS I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THE SETTING AND THESE CITIES AND CONQUEST NOOOTHING!!--
- Character development is Dragon Age 3 but you also get 1 ability point
- Companions are boring as fuck and somehow I unlocked lots of their abilities just by talking with them once
- Dialogue is a sea of multi-colored tooltips oh my god it's haven-- it actually isn't
I only liked one with Eb since it was interesting to just tell her all the evil overlord plans about everything and probably never get reprimanded for it ever, and earn lots of loyalty points, lol. wait, wtF!----.....

Overall opinion: Poor Man's isometric Dragon Age, but at least Bioware can be funny in a retarded way
but maybe I'm too tired THURSDAYAH and need a fresh start and time to see and think about it

Do you get XP for combat?
Your skills grow in combat on use

Oh, if someone would ask like, how does this game compare in "evil" to say Mask of the Betrayal - the first hours even, to be fair.
it' doesn't. there's not even a wall, or a pit between those two. the distance in quality of writing and representation of good&evil between those can only be counted in lights years. or thousands of them. not even friggin close or anything resembling the creepy atmosphere of something with evil intent.

Last edited:

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Started up the game, went into character creation, picked sex, the game froze.

An Obsidian Entertainment production

EDIT: Waited this time and it actually took 2 minutes to load into the Appearence tab. What in the flying fuck

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So game is shit? All I'm hearing up to now.

Go watch a gameplay video, it's better than trying to decipher somebody's edge filter.

Oh, if someone would ask like, how does this game compare in "evil" to say Mask of the Betrayal - the first hours even, to be fair.
it' doesn't. there's not even a wall, or a pit between those two. the distance in quality of writing and representation of good&evil between those can only be counted in lights years. or thousands of them. not even friggin close or anything resembling the creepy atmosphere of something with evil intent.

Apples and oranges separated by thousands of light years

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Apples and oranges separated by thousands of light years
HUR DURR APPLES ORANGES

No, you are orange.

While game is about banal boring childish violence mixed with some standard evil fantasysh shit we've seen even in D&D.

There's nothing much standard about a game where you play a cog in a full-on banality-of-evil war machine displacing entire settlements and civilizations. MotB is an Avellonian personal adventure where you can inflict cruelty on individual people. It's just a different kind of thing, seems strange to compare.

Fairfax

Arcane
>Tone/writing: cartoon network evil, goody good version of "ROAR KILL BABIES" evil, or actual interesting nuance?
In regards to the game's evil, the 2 main factions working for the Evil side are at odds over the general approach: Chaotic Evil (Scarlet Chorus) x Lawful Evil (Disfavored).
The Disfavored are supposed to have a strong sense of discipline and justice. They torture and execute "oathbreakers", while the Chorus enslaves prisoners then gives them the chance to join or die. The Chorus also forces able-bodied captives to kill their own families to prove they're serious about joining them.
The main problem with the Chorus is that the game doesn't show any real benefit to their approach. The player is constantly reminded of their lack of discipline, pointlessly brutal ways, internal fighting and high number of defectors. There's no reason to favour them other than wanting the most evil faction.

The writing, thanks to the highlight link feature (you can right click highlighted words to see their encyclopedia entry), has less exposition than PoE, but still has a lot of it. Maybe the feature was added later in the game's development and it gets better in the second half, I don't know.
I want to play more before judging the writing, but I can say the companions are much worse than PoE's. I honestly don't understand how journalists are praising the companions, specially Barik, so much.

>Combat: easier/harder, varied/repetitive, relative to POE?
More casual, easier, more repetitive. Encounters are too similar because there's no enemy variety and positioning doesn't matter all that much (at least on Hard).

Parabalus

Arcane
Just started on PotD as full Frost Mage. Really liking the Conquest part of CC. The civilopedia-like tooltips in dialogues seem great, prolly will get annoying later.

Fairfax

Arcane
I feel glad I went tank, because he doesn't seem able to tank shit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sentinel

Arcane

EDIT: Waited this time and it actually took 2 minutes to load into the Appearence tab. What in the flying fuck
Time to replace that HDD.

Sentinel

Arcane
Well with all this negativity towards the writing, I'm really losing all hype I had towards PoE2. Especially after hearing that Eric's left. Fucking hell.
Why does everything go to shit.

agris

Arcane
Patron
I guess that'll morph into "More C&C than Icewind Dale" on the cover of the GOTY edition.

IWD had zero C&C if I remember correctly.. or, could you let that undead king live, the first real dungeon+boss fight?

AW8

Arcane
Time to replace that HDD.

Load time on my HDD: 2 minutes, 9 seconds

Moved the game to my SSD.

Load time on my SSD: What do you know, 2 minutes, 9 seconds

Is my computer dying?

Started up Mankind Divided, loading times worked fine

Started up Pillars of Eternity, loading times worked fine

Conclusion: My computer is not dying

Further conclusion: I am living under Obsidian's tyrannical yoke

Sentinel

Arcane

Is my computer dying?

If it isn't your HDD, then all I gotta say is:
Welcome to Unity Engine.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

This isn't what people mean when they talk about load times in this engine. That's when you load a saved game or move between areas. Are those slow for you too?

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Story is linear and combat is repetitive.
Then what's the good thing about this?!

Nothing.

22545.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Greetings fellow Fatebinders!
This is a place where you can tell your story as you carve a path to complete and total domination in the lands of Teratus!

We've made it easier than ever for you to share your story with our new and awesome "My Profile" tool! All you need to do is login at https://www.tyrannygame.com/ and as you play the game you will see all your stats, your story choices and other interesting bits and bobs about your progress. You can, ofc, also share this with all your friends and fellow Fatebinders!

Everybody who criticises Tyranny here should provide a link to their personal storyline first, so we can make sure they didn't pirate the game.

Sentinel

Arcane
This is a place where you can tell your story as you carve a path to complete and total domination in the lands of Teratus!

We've made it easier than ever for you to share your story with our new and awesome "My Profile" tool! All you need to do is login at https://www.tyrannygame.com/ and as you play the game you will see all your stats, your story choices and other interesting bits and bobs about your progress. You can, ofc, also share this with all your friends and fellow Fatebinders!

Everybody who criticises Tyranny here should provide a link to their personal storyline first, so we can make sure they didn't pirate the game.
What does pirating have to do with anything?
If I buy a game I'm going to be a lot more critical of it, especially if it's underwhelming, because I'll feel conned.

AW8

Arcane
This isn't what people mean when they talk about load times in this engine. That's when you load a saved game or move between areas. Are those slow for you too?
How would I know, I'm not sitting through 30 minutes of character creation loading times just to reach the actual gameplay :D

I'm going to bed, I started a thread in the Paradox support forum, I'l probably have this fixed tomorrow. And if not, more tyranny joke material!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
How would I know, I'm not sitting through 30 minutes of character creation loading times just to reach the actual gameplay :D

I'm going to bed, I started a thread in the Paradox support forum, I'l probably have this fixed tomorrow. And if not, more tyranny joke material!

Sounds truly bizarre, maybe a GPU thing? You could trying updating your driver. :M

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy

And I want Obsidian team to come here and tell me that they really tried to make a good game this time and they didn't just winged it just to make a couple of bucks to stay afloat,I just want to be sure.

Last edited:

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Is my computer dying?

If it isn't your HDD, then all I gotta say is:
Welcome to Unity Engine.

20 seconds max to load a save on my mid-range SSD laptop. No delay in character creation or area transitions whatsoever.

Maybe AW8 should get his hardware checked.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom