Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Twitcher 3 is very far from the best written game ever

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Twitcher 3 is very far from the best written game ever. Anyway, D:OS1's story is the way it is because they had 1 guy rewrite the entire thing 80% into development, we'll see how the cuck-squad handle it. Not holding my breath.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
It has much writing than anything I've played in the last 20 years. And more importantly, it has great dialogue which is the worst part of most RPG's. The story is one thing, but if each NPC has terrible dialogue it ruins the whole thing. Also the voice acting is important too. I would rather just read stuff than hear crappy Skyrim voice acting. At least Witcher 3 is acted by people who are good at what they do.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
^ I hate the combat though :/ It has such amazing graphics, it looks like an oil painting come to life, and everywhere you look, at every angle, is good enough for a screenshot that wows people. Even in usual pretty games, you can usually find a bad low res texture somewhere, or a farm cart with hexagonal wheels to save a few polygons, or some LOD popping, or something.. But Witcher 3 looks stunning at all times. Really impressive. And the engine is awesome, I would click the icon on my desktop, and I was actually running around and playing the game 10 seconds later, and that is not on an SSD. There are no annoying sponsors when the game first loads, it is straight into the main menu, and then you click load a game and it is just there in seconds. And then no loading when you are playing and go in a building. The story and characters were great, it felt like the quality of a TV show. The fat baron guy especially, it seemed like a real guy, not just the writing but also the acting. There are evil witches and goody goodys too, but the Baron was like a real guy. He wasn't good or evil, he was somewhere in between and for all his intimidation he ends up being a tragic character. Also the questing is high quality too. Even typical kill quests just seem more interesting than most action games.

The ONLY thing I don't like about the game is the combat, and sadly that is all you really do. You play as a hacky slashy Witcher and that is the only option. You can't play as a ranger, rogue, paladin, or mage or anything else. So it doesn't even feel like a full RPG. It is Witcher or nothing, and it is not like the Witcher's combat is really good either. You have monsters lunge at you so you double tap a direction to dive out the way, then do a few slashy attacks in the monsters ass, then dive again and repeat until it is dead.

Give that game either a really good action combat method, or a really good tactical RPG combat, and it would be my favorite game of all time.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2

When you make statements like this it is courteous to give a counterexample so we can all bask in your good taste.
So, what is the best written game in your vision?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

When you make statements like this it is courteous to give a counterexample so we can all bask in your good taste.
So, what is the best written game in your vision?

Yeah, in my book it's legitimate to say "I think there are one or two better written games than TW3". But to say "TW3 is very far from the best written game" that smacks to me of a pure shitpost. Like saying "Ali was very far from the best boxer ever." Yeah, no.

Lacrymas

Arcane

The problem is that the well written games have set a very high bar that the Twitcher 3 doesn't even come close to, it doesn't matter that there aren't a lot of well written games. That's why it's very far away. Not to mention that I don't work with favorites, so "best written game ever" is a vapid statement. KotOR2, MotB, maybe Bloodlines, maybe even Redemption (I'm loathe to mention PST, but yeah, that too), for example, are on a completely different level than Twitcher 3. Answering the why of it is a very hard and almost pointless endeavor, so don't ask. Let's give an example in mediums that people are going to understand - it's like comparing Game of Thrones to Hannibal (for example), GoT (representing TW3) is lazy and simply manipulative, only good if you don't know what good is, while Hannibal is on a completely different level and can't be compared to GoT. I know decline is very favored among some Codexers, so sucking Twitcher's cock is customary, but have some respect for yourselves :p

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I know decline is very favored among some Codexers, so sucking Twitcher's cock is customary, but have some respect for yourselves :p

Ah so asking you about Twitcher is like asking a Palestinian what's his general take on West Bank settlers.

:updatedmytxt:

Btw on one point I wholeheartedly agree - claiming Kotor2 is even on the same planet with TW3 is bonkers.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Those are all great and no doubt better than W3, but they are also all ancient. Witcher 3 deserves some credit for having good story and dialogue in this modern shitty age of Skyrim.

Lacrymas

Arcane
That sounds like a consolation prize though. If you are looking for something not-ancient, but it's also not an RPG, Spec Ops: the Line has an interesting theme that it's trying to explore and pulls off relatively well. It's a third-person shooter though and I'd just watch the cutscenes on YouTube. Otherwise, yeah, well-written games are mostly before this decade. I don't know what caused this utter decline in writing, even by Absurdian, neither PoE nor Tranny is on the same level as even New Vegas, let alone KotOR2. Maybe it's a symptom of having too many cooks.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Witcher 3 has some fucking awesome quests... The best written quests in Witcher 3 blow out of the water most best quests in any of the older rpgs mentioned, with the exception of maybe PST.

Having all the good written content limited to companion dialogues is terrible gameplay.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I'm not a one-trick pony! I'm also about art direction and combat! I just don't talk much about them!

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm not a one-trick pony! I'm also about art direction and combat! I just don't talk much about them!
Man, I've never seen anyone complain about writing as much as you do. Hell, even my bitching about games without barbarians, pants or two-handed weapons doesn't come close.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Man, I've never seen anyone complain about writing as much as you do. Hell, even my bitching about games without barbarians, pants or two-handed weapons doesn't come close.

I bitch about it because game devs open themselves up to such bitching. Larian hired 7 people to write! (+ Chris) That's absurd! BioWare's slogan is "We write stories" (or some other inane bullshit). With the amount of dialogue and exposition in other games, writing is on the forefront and it's hard to ignore it. Either they start writing basic introductions (You are a hero, go slay the dragon!) and nothing else, or start writing like professionals! Otherwise, it's just embarrassing and no wonder nobody takes games seriously.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
TW3 has some of the best-written dialogue and character interactions I've seen in any game, and there are parts of it that are outstanding for computer game writing, from specific quests to just little moments like the banter between Keira and Geralt, which is so natural in places that you don't even think about it. That being said, the best-written game ever should probably have a good story too. The Witcher 3 has several, but the story it tries to tell is really weak and collapses almost instantly after it really gets going. The politics are severely downgraded and simplified from TW2, saying that the main villain is a cardboard cut-out would be insulting for cardboard as it actually has a third dimension, a number of really good characters are ruined towards the end,
especially the Crones and Dijkstra
previously good characters like Radovid and Roche are reduced to shadows of their former selves, and the last two thirds of the game have too many baffling moments to list, ranging from mere inconsistencies to complete nonsense. Out of the three main areas only Velen really manages to have a good self-contained story, whereas Novigrad has a very convoluted plotline full of half-explored ideas, and Skellige just feels rushed. You get the feeling that they tried to bite off more than they could chew, either running out of time or just not having a clear idea on how to finish Geralt's story. Because of this I wouldn't place TW3 in the same category as PS:T, which is more consistent with its themes and also has a very satisfying conclusion.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

I bitch about it because game devs open themselves up to such bitching. Larian hired 7 people to write! (+ Chris) That's absurd! BioWare's slogan is "We write stories" (or some other inane bullshit). With the amount of dialogue and exposition in other games, writing is on the forefront and it's hard to ignore it. Either they start writing basic introductions (You are a hero, go slay the dragon!) and nothing else, or start writing like professionals! Otherwise, it's just embarrassing and no wonder nobody takes games seriously.
DivOs 2 you talking about? Haven't played that yet. Bioware, though. Dude, come on. That's comparable to shit-tier movies at best. Which I think comes from their being influenced by a medium(movies) and trying to incorporate that shit in a genre that'll benefit least from such influences (games). Honestly, they're like trying to fit a square peg on to a round asshole.

Lacrymas

Arcane
DivOs 2 you talking about? Haven't played that yet. Bioware, though. Dude, come on. That's comparable to shit-tier movies at best. Which I think comes from their being influenced by a medium(movies) and trying to incorporate that shit in a genre that'll benefit least from such influences (games). Honestly, they're like trying to fit a square peg on to a round asshole.

I'm just giving them as an example, since they are the ones that proudly announce their intention to write. The main point is that there is so much exposition and dialogue in recent games that it's impossible to ignore *cough* PoE *cough*. I recently replayed BG1 and I was amazed how quickly dialogues come and go, you really don't care that they are not very deep.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I'm not a one-trick pony!

You're a zero trick pony afaic. Saying Kotor2 is the best written game and TW3 is very far below it is so off the mark I don't even.

I won't go into the weeds here, been there done that can't be fucked anymore but in short - Kotor2 is presenting you with what a good writer thinks is depth and moral ambiguity. TW3 shows you real depth and moral ambiguity.

As for story and quests - the main TW3 story is not very good but individual quests are among the best ever written. I'd say two or three of them are THE best. But that's exactly along the lines of the original Sapkowski's work. The short stories are one of the best fantasy short stories ever written but the novels are aimless and silly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom