Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

TVTropes page

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
As awful as TVTropes has gotten, it could be a good, free source of advertising it. Add AoD to Trope pages and link it to the article.

People still mass read TVTropes right? I know I don't, I just go to the YMMV page, it's usually more honest (Even if it's Troper Honesty where CHARACTER is a Base Breaker because he did something that went against my Fanfic.).

Grim Monk

Arcane
I'm not getting stuck in TVTropes dungeon again! It took me one hour to get outta there yesterday! I still don't have myself intirely together, some of myself is still scattered.
Pages upon pages, tropes upon tropes, links upon links, examples upon examples, all accumulating endelessely in my browser tabs, forever and forever, amem! To be gazed and read, to be gazed and read, TO READ AND GAZE AND GAZE AND READ THE MORE I GAZE THE MORE I READ THE MORE I READ THE MORE I GAZE MORE MORE MORE GAZEWS MORE READ MORE GAZE! Ia ia! Anhagabauê!

You forgot about the Spoilers.

Spoilers about practically everything you could possibly play, watch, or read.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
There was a time when it wasn't awful?
There was at least a time when we had Outer Limits and Twilight Zone twists instead of whatever stupid anime names they have now.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
I'm not getting stuck in TVTropes dungeon again! It took me one hour to get outta there yesterday! I still don't have myself intirely together, some of myself is still scattered.
Pages upon pages, tropes upon tropes, links upon links, examples upon examples, all accumulating endelessely in my browser tabs, forever and forever, amem!
As I was reading your post, I realized I had four TVTropes tabs open in my browser...

Cassidy

Arcane
Now, now, there was a time when it was a prestigious environment for discussion of media!

...Maybe it was always a different kind of shit...

iwd32.JPG

Why bother writing that when they can contribute to Rule 34 instead?

Oh, I forgot... because that would eventually get them an one-way ticket to the big house and then

iwd32.JPG

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
What exactly is so horrible about TVTropes besides this:
Pages upon pages, tropes upon tropes, links upon links, examples upon examples, all accumulating endelessely in my browser tabs, forever and forever, amem!
As I was reading your post, I realized I had four TVTropes tabs open in my browser...
?

Esquilax

Arcane

Oh man, TVTropes is fucking terrible. A big issue would be that it's completely uncritical at all - okay, I'm not denying that EdgyDex can have its problems, but I prefer this to a list of completely saccharine bullshit about how your Mass Effect romance was a "Tear Jerker". In fact, I believe that they edit out any sort of thought on main pages that might be derisive of a particular work.

So there's really no analysis - they just have a list of "tropes" that they make up, (which to be fair, can be kinda fun at times, and archetypes do exist), but then they try to make everything fit into that box instead of looking at things holistically and within the greater context of a particular work of art. It becomes this dick-measuring contest of "how can I pigeonhole as many 'tropes' into one thing that I like as possible?" rather than trying to gain an understanding of something.

Occasionally you can also see a certain SJW vibe rearing its ugly unconventionally beautiful head, particularly under stuff like "Unfortunate Implications", the vast majority of which is written up by people looking to be offended by something. It's a haven for "quirky" people with "nerdy" interests who are "OMG so awkward" but in reality just as boring as any other cunt. Probably even more boring actually - I rather like talking to people on the subway, and they can probably hold a conversation on a topic that isn't Dr. Who. I mean, it's pretty fucking telling that TVTropes has a huge list of Games, Anime, and certain TV shows that they're obsessed with and barely a fucking peep about literature. Well, that's because people who've bothered to read a decent book at some point in their lives cringe when they see this shit. I know I do, and I'm not particularly well-read.

The hilarious part is that the site is actually better now than it was before. Thank goodness that a wise YouTuber saved all that TroperTales stuff that they used to have. If you're in need of good cringe, look no further.

Erebus

Arcane
In fact, I believe that they edit out any sort of thought on main pages that might be derisive of a particular work.

It wasn't always the case, but it is now. You can say all the nice things you want about the stupidest works of "art" ever created by man, but you can no longer call a piece of shit a piece of shit.

Some of the articles are interesting and well-written. But many others are stupid or pretending a third-rate show is a work of genius. A lot of the examples provided under each article are uninteresting or even completely wrong.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Shitty page for shitty people. It's only appropriate that Codexers would partake.

it's pretty fucking telling that TVTropes has a huge list of Games, Anime, and certain TV shows that they're obsessed with and barely a fucking peep about literature. Well, that's because people who've bothered to read a decent book at some point in their lives cringe when they see this shit. I know I do, and I'm not particularly well-read.

That's not necessarily a problem, the name of the site already suggests the focus isn't highbrow stuff.

What annoyed me is how I sometimes try to add something (or just correct bullshit) and minutes later it would be deleted for not being relevant or notable or whatever; meanwhile, the page is filled with obscure trivia that couldn't possibly be of interest to anyone but a die-hard fan of the respective subjects. It looks like a circlejerk where only the cool forumite kids are allowed to speak.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012

Oh man, TVTropes is fucking terrible. A big issue would be that it's completely uncritical at all - okay, I'm not denying that EdgyDex can have its problems, but I prefer this to a list of completely saccharine bullshit about how your Mass Effect romance was a "Tear Jerker". In fact, I believe that they edit out any sort of thought on main pages that might be derisive of a particular work.

So there's really no analysis - they just have a list of "tropes" that they make up, (which to be fair, can be kinda fun at times, and archetypes do exist), but then they try to make everything fit into that box instead of looking at things holistically and within the greater context of a particular work of art. It becomes this dick-measuring contest of "how can I pigeonhole as many 'tropes' into one thing that I like as possible?" rather than trying to gain an understanding of something.
I don't know. For me it's just opening it and a few hours later suddenly discovering that there's a lot of pages open. I don't know how it works.
Also, gain an understanding of something?

Occasionally you can also see a certain SJW vibe rearing its ugly unconventionally beautiful head, particularly under stuff like "Unfortunate Implications", the vast majority of which is written up by people looking to be offended by something.
It's much more reasonable than the usual SJW stuff, though.

It's a haven for "quirky" people with "nerdy" interests who are "OMG so awkward" but in reality just as boring as any other cunt. Probably even more boring actually - I rather like talking to people on the subway, and they can probably hold a conversation on a topic that isn't Dr. Who. I mean, it's pretty fucking telling that TVTropes has a huge list of Games, Anime, and certain TV shows that they're obsessed with and barely a fucking peep about literature. Well, that's because people who've bothered to read a decent book at some point in their lives cringe when they see this shit. I know I do, and I'm not particularly well-read.
Oh God:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Literature/TheSilmarillion?from=Main.TheSilmarillion

Anyway, how would you define "well-read"? And what is a "decent book" and how would "decent books" occupy a lot of space at such place?

TigerKnee

Arcane
TVTropes declined when they removed the super populated and worked on parts of Sengoku Rance.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
TVtropes is bad and whoever made that page or contributed to it should feel bad

Esquilax

Arcane
I don't know. For me it's just opening it and a few hours later suddenly discovering that there's a lot of pages open. I don't know how it works.
Also, gain an understanding of something?

Hey, it's fun web browsing, sure. It's pretty cool to look at the various list of "Proud Warrior Race Guys" from all the fantasy and sci-fi shows and movies you've seen. TV Tropes can be a fun way to kill a few hours on a lazy day. By "gain an understanding of something" I should have said "gain an understanding of what a particular work is about", rather than just trying to find instances of archetypes that you can neatly fit into a box. Which is what TV Tropes does a lot of the time. Sure, archetypes exist, but they exist in the greater context of a work and that might give the same type of character a much different nuance. In the end, it just comes off as a lot of autistic list-making for the sake of making lists, IMO.

Anyway, how would you define "well-read"? And what is a "decent book" and how would "decent books" occupy a lot of space at such place?

Damn, these are some good questions. It's a vague and nebulous term, isn't it? You've got me there, and Clockwork Knight is probably right that you shouldn't really pick on a site called TV Tropes for not including enough literature.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom