Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic 2 - Restored Content Mod + M4-78 Droid Planet Mod Thread

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I've seen combat enhancement mods but in my experience such mods are usually terrible so I haven't tried them.

alkeides

Arcane
Patron
ghostdog said:
Has anyone released a mod that fixes the crappy combat encounters and the non-existent difficulty ?

This. How can anyone say the HK-50 encounters were difficult? I thought the whole game was a piece of cake even (or maybe because of) on the Xbox.

And yeah, I thought the background to the game was rather unclear as well. Palpatine's Jedi Purge succeeded primarily because he made use of the clones most of the Jedi (especially those at frontlines, who were at any rate, those most capable of resistance) already trusted impliclity and even then quite a few survived (though some were hunted down later of course). Little detail is given about the political climate during TSL but I doubt the Sith (Kreia's batch) at the time were strong enough to wipe out all the Jedi in the Core worlds; granted, the Exile travels along the Inner and Middle Rim territories mostly but the Younglings, Padawans etc all wiped out in 5 years?

Other stuff:

How do those beasts survive on Malachor V without any food source?

Where did the recruits for Nihilus' ships all come from? And really, Sion holding his rotting flesh together is one thing but Nihilus' men - are they all zombies?

I haven't kept up with the MMORPG but I think they'll have a hard time sorting through all that.

KOTORN00b

Novice
New Patch for the TSLRCM 1.6

Heads up folks, there's a new patch for the TSLRCM 1.6:

http://www.deadlystream.com/forum/downl ... file&id=32

This little patch fixes a problem with the Red Eclipse cutscene re-triggering.

Before installing this patch, TSL Restored Content Mod version 1.6 MUST BE INSTALLED.

In order for this patch to work correctly in your game, after installing it you must load a save from before landing on Nar Shaddaa for the first time.

catfood

AGAIN
ghostdog said:
Has anyone released a mod that fixes the crappy combat encounters and the non-existent difficulty ?

And how could the difficulty be fixed? By giving enemies more HP and damage? The combat engine is completely shit, you can't have any sort of meaningful combat encounters with it. How can you, when you can only have 2 other NPCs with you and you can only control them one at a time, and even then you can't really position them anywhere on the field.
In fact the best solution in this case is to make combat in this game even easier to the point where it only serves as a minor distraction in between plot points.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Drakon's right with most of his criticisms. Although, I don't remember Kreia always being right...
Obsidian looked at Star Wars, saw the flaws and tried to "repair" them. Thus retconning even more nonsense into the setting than it had before while at the same time turning it into something non-Starwars.
As Drakon said, moral relativity doesn't work in Starwars. Add atrocious gameplay, yet another D&D-rules game, the popular "suck-up-to-your-companions"-minigame, companions waiting in your hub for you although it'd make a lot more sense for them to accompany you, graphics that looked shitty when the game was new, bonusses for being xtreme dark-/lightside, and only being 3/4 finished; it is entirely understandable to dislike the game.

MotB is pretty bland, boring and nonsensical, too. Add that to your .txt, dumbfuck :love:

And LOL at "Hum, well, let's see, the only point you make that could be a matter of actual debate instead of opinions you hold is that the story doesn't make sense." No shit, Sherlock. Who'd have tunked that personal preferences and opinions might affect ones like or dislike for a game.

alkeides said:
ghostdog said:

This. How can anyone say the HK-50 encounters were difficult? I thought the whole game was a piece of cake even (or maybe because of) on the Xbox.

And yeah, I thought the background to the game was rather unclear as well. Palpatine's Jedi Purge succeeded primarily because he made use of the clones most of the Jedi (especially those at frontlines, who were at any rate, those most capable of resistance) already trusted impliclity and even then quite a few survived (though some were hunted down later of course). Little detail is given about the political climate during TSL but I doubt the Sith (Kreia's batch) at the time were strong enough to wipe out all the Jedi in the Core worlds; granted, the Exile travels along the Inner and Middle Rim territories mostly but the Younglings, Padawans etc all wiped out in 5 years?

Other stuff:

How do those beasts survive on Malachor V without any food source?

Where did the recruits for Nihilus' ships all come from? And really, Sion holding his rotting flesh together is one thing but Nihilus' men - are they all zombies?

I haven't kept up with the MMORPG but I think they'll have a hard time sorting through all that.

I always figured that Kreia / the sith lords weren't as successful as they initially thought. The jedi masters say as much - that the jedi weren't wiped out, they simply made a strategic decision to go underground. They'd lost a hell of a lot of experienced leadership and numbers due to the war in the first game and the planet-eater taking out every planet with significant numbers of them (including at least one major 'gathering' where all the notable jedi in that corner of the universe were in attendance), but there were still 5 of the old leadership council left alive, and presumably a lot below them.

They actually don't seem terribly worried about the whole 'jedi are missing' thing - they brush that off with a 'yes, we thought we'd lay low and wait for the enemy to reveal itself', and they still come across as though they've got the numbers to put up a fight if they only knew where to strike.

My take was that Kreia thought that by wiping out the remaining leadership and having the planet-eater-guy take out any significant populations of jedi, would simply cripple them enough that her protege - the player - could mop up the disorganised rabble that was left over. Having said that, I played the restored version where it's clear that having the player kill her is part of her plan - she wants the player to be onside by that point, so that he continues where she left off (or that if he doesn't do that, that he'll continue Revan's strategy of arming the galaxy and rebuilding either the Jedi or the Sith in a more palatable form).

zodden

Scholar
Kreia is right or EVERYONE thinks she is right that is the same thing, you NEVER see another character disagreeing with herviews or showing she to be wrong.

Having just finished the game with the restoration patch I can say thats a load of crap. Atton is distrustful of her throughout the game. The rest agree or don't agree with her but so what? Her role is to train and advise the exile and so only your opinion matters.

Also you understand the plot bogs down to Kreia wanting to kill the Force but having NO FUCKING IDEA how to do it besides the whole wound in the Force crap ,we got a BS about Malachor V and then its fucking over ... wait what?

She did think she knew how. The death of the exile at that place she believed would accomplish it, but she fails and then has to settle for having helped you become a great Jedi and so dies feeling rewarded.

After all, what was the plot? go there kill Sith and then Kill more Sith and what exactly were the Sith? They were not the same as in KotOR that were human that fallen to the Dark Side but still have human qualities or flaws as KotOR II Sith were for most part unhuman monsters (one guy eats entire planets and the other cannot die even after being killed) that had no human qualities or flaws.

All wrong. The Sith were the same from Kotor1- The remnants of what Revan built were gathering at Malachor V and led by the three sith lords. Nihlus was at the battle of Malachor V and was a Jedi who fell to the dark side and Scion was obviously once a man. He also is a more traditional villain in that he wants power, etc....You really should play with the restored content as it fleshes out their motives more fully.

NOTHING on it is KotOR II, sure it have Lightsabers and shit but hell,its does not FEEL Star Wars.

It felt like Star Wars to me.....

And again, THE PLOT MAKES NO SENSE! and requires that The Exile, the Last Jedi (if we discount everyone else that is a Jedi in the game) and Wound in the Force (how that happen?

The exile cut himself off from the force after seeing what happened at Malachor. He was responsible for so much carnage that he abandoned the force. Its also what gave him so much power when he felt the force again as he could understand what its like to not have it.

I think the story was excellent. Its the game's strongest point and the restoration fleshes out the story and explains things better then when the game was released.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
So I take you dont like Star Wars that explains a lot to why you like the story of KotOR2.

I'd say that's a fair point.

However, I don't understand why shit has to "make sense", though. This is really some anal bullshit that western rpg fans have going on. In fact, that the entirety of western culture has this bullshit going on, when I think about it.

Man. This is star wars. Mages in space. It doesn't "make sense". Kreia didn't know how to kill the force? Seriously? That's your criticism? Well here it is for you, here's how I'm going to make it make sense : magic. I meant, the Force. That's that.

This profound need for coherence is totally wasted on a silly fictional story, seriously. You little fucks with computer science degrees need to go take an art class or something. KoTOR2's story was basically about fucking around with the Star wars setting, mixed in with (I'd say) existentialist considerations. That's it. The plot doesn't need to make sense. Art doesn't make sense. This isn't fucking science. It's trying to make a point. The point ranges to exploring different values, convictions, in a certain context, to asking certain questions and trying to answer them. Who gives a shit about the rest? You can't apply those kind of mathematical standards to everything, otherwise you'll just be dead inside. Oh wait. Seriously do we need to discuss on how some bullshit fiction didn't make sense? How about the characters? Fuck I know I'm speaking to myself here anyway, so fuck it

By saying "this isn't making sense", you're basically admiting that you can't get over it and find something else, perhaps deeper, to the story. I know I'm sounding like a faggot, but trust me I've been there, you're the bigger faggot. It's not a show of great intelligence and reason to not be able to enjoy a story because it has coherence issues. Anyone can do it, and yes do it in a clever way, but who cares? That is, if the story truly has something artistic to express, of course, which isn't always the case so my point can be ambiguous. Anyway, fuck off and fuck you

20081210.gif

Rabidredneck

Liturgist
If it seems like the mod isn't working, I found myself and one or two others on the deadly streams board have noticed the 1.6 installer is installing the files to the wrong folder. Specifically its trying to install to c:/programfiles/programfiles/lucasarts.

Now I have to uninstall and reinstall everything, but it should work now. I hope.

koppees

Novice
Can someone please upload TSLRCM 1.6 and Nar Shadaa fix to anywhere? Both the deadlystream and filefront links of the mod are dead.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Odd it would be pulled from Filefront... incoming D R A M A?

zbyl2 hasn't mentioned anything yet on the lucas forums. Maybe he will have something to say later on.

The deadlystream forums regularly go down like a cheep whore, so that's not at all surprising.

Darth Dan 12

Novice
The TSLRCM is actually a pretty good mod, and it has very few bugs (besides a few crazy misspellings and grammar issues).

Stoney explained what happened to TSLRCM in the Team Gizka forum:

Darth_Stoney said:
Apperently the host company for DeadlyStream.com went "bust" and Stream is currently searching for a new provider. I believe filefronts links are fixed now,if anyone knows of a decent free provider (I know some of the free ones restrict the amount of downloads) I'd be happy to upload the mod elseware.

KOTORN00b

Novice
Even though the old version of the Deadly Stream site is down, it's back up now. All the old posts are gone unfortunately but at least there's a place to read up on it.

Those wanting to download can jump straight to this thread:
http://www.deadlystream.com/forum/tslrc ... nload.html

One note: The read me apparently contains a typo. TSLRCM is not currently compatible with the mod known as USM. The old compatibility patch does not work with the the 1.6 Version of TSLRCM.

chuft

Augur
Well I am trying to play this, but KOTOR2 really is a piece of shit game. It's so bad in so many ways compared to KOTOR. Why won't they give me a frigging lightsaber after hours and hours of play? Why are most encounters so easy, then the HK attack on Telos so impossible? Why is every setting so ugly? Why are there so many sealed and permanently unopenable doors? Why are there so many complicated workbench upgrades, most of which do little or else have disadvantages as great as their advantages? Why is the dialog so bad? Why does the combat options interface cover all the bad guys so I can't even see whom I am fighting?

I thought the guys at Obsidian made some great games while at Interplay. I don't understand this game.

I am trying to get to get to a good part, if there is one, but frankly playing Kotor over and over is more fun than playing this once. I'm amazed anyone put so much effort into this restoration mod when the game itself is so lame.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
You really think KOTOR2 has bad dialog? Dialog is pretty much the best part of KOTOR2, and is certainly better than the crap dialog in KOTOR.

Also, I never asked those questions while playing KOTOR2 mostly because I was too busy enjoying the game. Huh.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
chuft said:
It's so bad in so many ways compared to KOTOR. Why won't they give me a frigging lightsaber after hours and hours of play? [...] Why is every setting so ugly? Why are there so many sealed and permanently unopenable doors? [...] Why is the dialog so bad?
Those specific points you picked to show that KOTOR1 is better than KOTOR2 are R00falicious at best.

playing Kotor over and over
Ah I see. This must be the effect of permanent brain damage from replaying that game so many times.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom