Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic 2 - Restored Content Mod + M4-78 Droid Planet Mod Thread

Drakron

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
Drakron said:
5 year old game

the horror

Some games age well, others dont ... specially 3D games.

Look at FF VII, no matter how many people praising it, the fact is that it have not aged well due to its early 3D blocky meshes as Xenogears have aged far more kindly due to only the mechs being 3D (and can get away with a lot being mechs).

I stop playing FF VII because of the graphics, I finished Xenogears.

Age alone does not make a game worst or better but when it comes to KotOR2 that I absolutely disagree with far too many decisions made on the game (gameplay, characterization, story) to even suffer it a second time, after 5 years why exactly should I play something that takes a VERY big dump on something I used to like, Star Wars? Its EU at its worst with Chris Avellone committing the crime of explaining the Force, something that is NEVER well received, even Lucas did not got away with "midichlorians" let alone with the Basilisk war droid that became Virago-like because he did not like the design.

After a while people just move on, for me to revisit a game it requires at least that I did not hate it when I first played it ... I am not replaying Mafia due to the control scheme that annoyed the crap out of me and the ending, sorry folks but dont make me have some kind of attachment to my character and then pull that stunt.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
God this place has had its run of graphics whores lately hasn't it? TSL looks fine. If you can abide a good story without nothing else going for it, the restoration pack is a pretty good mod as far as mods go. It still has that "unprofessional mod-feeling" against it though.

Drakron

Arcane
Grunker said:
... If you can abide a good story ...

Since when does KotOR2 have a good story? Not in my book ... it seems we should have change this site name from RPG Codex to Obsidian Codex.

Terror Teats

Educated
I think you mean 'Assidian' Codex.

Also, when you say "in [your] book", is this a book you've actually read? Have you read a book before?

Drakron

Arcane
Terror Teats said:
Also, when you say "in [your] book", is this a book you've actually read? Have you read a book before?

Figure of speech.

And yes, I read books ... ever heard of "The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket"? One of my favorites.

Terror Teats

Educated
I don't know about 'miles better than MoTB'. Remember, you're posting in a thread about an unofficial, user-made patch that took several years of drama to produce.

Terror Teats

Educated
If it hadn't been so badly broken when I played it the first time on release, I might have a more favorable impression.

There's no doubt it's a hell of an improvement over Bioware's KOTOR and the writing was excellent, but better than MoTB? Come on, now.

Drakron

Arcane
root said:
shit, and here was I thinking that the story was one of the things Kotor2 had going for it, in a major way.

And here I am saying its not, hardly news for anyone that remembers my comments about it.

the story is fuckin' great.

Crap.

what the fuck's the problem with it?

Were to start ... I know.

Moral relativism does not work in Star Wars as its black-and-white morality, the story did not made any sense most of the time (You are the Last Jedi ... if you dont count the Jedi Masters in hiding, me, that women that is also hiding and the fact you left the order to follow Raven in the War that kinda makes you a former Jedi) and excuse me as it been five years but I honetly do not recall everything just that it-did-not-made-sense.

It was pretensions nonsense in the vain of PS:T but things worked on PS:T as they did because of the setting.

Also worst is they turned Battle Meditation that in the previous title was rare skill only a few could gain were it was even a important PLOT POINT into ... a power you can pick up on level up.

how is the force explained? the most they talk about it is kreia's cryptic comments about the 'will of the force', no different than yoda's same bullshittery. although of course, it's not like SW is genius-level storytelling anyway

Because Kreia is shown to always been ABSOLUTELY RIGHT as she NEVER MAKES A MISTAKE OR GIVES INCORRECT INFORMATION .

When you setup a character to be the say Kreia is, you believe what she says or believes to be correct.

Also there is the whole "hole in the Force", things that really do not belong.

yeah yeah it was unfinished yeah yeah atton is annoying yeah it's easy well

Here is the thing, I do not mind a annoying character ... Attion did not bothered me as much as HK-47 that was just there to please the fanboys, just like the Mandalorians.

it's still a very good game.

I think the story sucks, the gameplay is broken (DO NOT GO OVER LEVEL 20 ON A D20 SYSTEM, IT BREAKS IT ... BADLY), the level design sucked, the art direction was the same of the previous title, the music was worst ... I do not recall any good thing ... oh, slave girl bikini (plus point).

miles better than motb, but then again, D&D is even worse than Star Wars - at everything.

So I take you dont like Star Wars that explains a lot to why you like the story of KotOR2.

I never played motb, I did played "MotS", thanks to Karen Traviss (Mandalorian fangir) Mara Jade is now dead.

Drakron

Arcane
No dumbfuck, the theories that Kreia spurts are backed by either the game events or NPCs.

Kreia is right or EVERYONE thinks she is right that is the same thing, you NEVER see another character disagreeing with herviews or showing she to be wrong.

Also you understand the plot bogs down to Kreia wanting to kill the Force but having NO FUCKING IDEA how to do it besides the whole wound in the Force crap ,we got a BS about Malachor V and then its fucking over ... wait what?

After all, what was the plot? go there kill Sith and then Kill more Sith and what exactly were the Sith? They were not the same as in KotOR that were human that fallen to the Dark Side but still have human qualities or flaws as KotOR II Sith were for most part unhuman monsters (one guy eats entire planets and the other cannot die even after being killed) that had no human qualities or flaws.

Here us my argument, you see that part of the title that says "Star Wars" just at the start?

ITS NOT IN KOTOR II!

NOTHING on it is KotOR II, sure it have Lightsabers and shit but hell,its does not FEEL Star Wars.

What makes Star Wars, Star Wars is not in KOTOR II ... its in the prequels that are very bad movies but its not in KOTOR II.

And again, THE PLOT MAKES NO SENSE! and requires that The Exile, the Last Jedi (if we discount everyone else that is a Jedi in the game) and Wound in the Force (how that happen? after all its not as if entire fucking planets are not blown up every fuck year in Star Wars some way or another ... hell did the Death Star also created a "wound in the Force" or just a rash?) to be a complete and utter TOOL as the only place Kreia would be going on that ship would be the airlock when the ship was in space or in hyperspace if I was in charge, serious the only reason she manipulates everyone and it works is because THE PLOT DEMANDS IT and THAT is not good writing.

Also nice work on not addressing the issues I raised ... good work on dancing around the Force issue but you have a wound ... on something that was one described as FREAKING ENERGY FIELD THAT SURROUNDS ALL LIVING CREATURES!

Yes, there are places the Force cannot reach as there are places the Force is stronger ... portable wounds? WHAT?

bhlaab

Erudite
Drakron said:
Clockwork Knight said:
Drakron said:
5 year old game

the horror

Some games age well, others dont ... specially 3D games.

Look at FF VII, no matter how many people praising it, the fact is that it have not aged well due to its early 3D blocky meshes as Xenogears have aged far more kindly due to only the mechs being 3D (and can get away with a lot being mechs).

Final Fantasy 7 is 13 years old.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Drakron said:
No dumbfuck, the theories that Kreia spurts are backed by either the game events or NPCs.

Kreia is right or EVERYONE thinks she is right that is the same thing, you NEVER see another character disagreeing with herviews or showing she to be wrong.

Also you understand the plot bogs down to Kreia wanting to kill the Force but having NO FUCKING IDEA how to do it besides the whole wound in the Force crap ,we got a BS about Malachor V and then its fucking over ... wait what?

After all, what was the plot? go there kill Sith and then Kill more Sith and what exactly were the Sith? They were not the same as in KotOR that were human that fallen to the Dark Side but still have human qualities or flaws as KotOR II Sith were for most part unhuman monsters (one guy eats entire planets and the other cannot die even after being killed) that had no human qualities or flaws.

Here us my argument, you see that part of the title that says "Star Wars" just at the start?

ITS NOT IN KOTOR II!

NOTHING on it is KotOR II, sure it have Lightsabers and shit but hell,its does not FEEL Star Wars.

What makes Star Wars, Star Wars is not in KOTOR II ... its in the prequels that are very bad movies but its not in KOTOR II.

And again, THE PLOT MAKES NO SENSE! and requires that The Exile, the Last Jedi (if we discount everyone else that is a Jedi in the game) and Wound in the Force (how that happen? after all its not as if entire fucking planets are not blown up every fuck year in Star Wars some way or another ... hell did the Death Star also created a "wound in the Force" or just a rash?) to be a complete and utter TOOL as the only place Kreia would be going on that ship would be the airlock when the ship was in space or in hyperspace if I was in charge, serious the only reason she manipulates everyone and it works is because THE PLOT DEMANDS IT and THAT is not good writing.

Also nice work on not addressing the issues I raised ... good work on dancing around the Force issue but you have a wound ... on something that was one described as FREAKING ENERGY FIELD THAT SURROUNDS ALL LIVING CREATURES!

Yes, there are places the Force cannot reach as there are places the Force is stronger ... portable wounds? WHAT?

Man, I could deconstruct your rant and tell you why you're wrong, but I'm tired and it's easier to just call you an idiot.

So yeah, you're a fucking idiot.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
off topic: FF VII is shit, FF VIII is a MUCH better game, the only game I agree with Volourn on.

on topic: Awesome, I was waiting for this latest release. Will be d/l tonight.

StrangeCase

Educated

Atton didn't like her. I seem to remember Visas distrusting her too, but I'm not 100% on that. The Jedi Masters sure as hell disagree with her, assuming you left them alive. Hell, your character can disagree with her from the get-go all the way until you beat her ugly ass into the ground at Malachor.

Granted, your character is a lobotomized dipshit who can only sputter lame platitudes in response to Kreia's criticism. And it's true she's never shown to be wrong, not precisely, but that's because she's super-cynical, and all the coolest and smartest people these days are also cynical.

Drakron said:

You see plenty of characters disagreeing with her. She just seems to get the parthian shot off at the end of most disagreements. Taking that to mean that other characters are somehow convinced or proven wrong by her is something a juvenile would infer.

Drakron said:

My understanding was that the Exile had magic plot-given power that lets her somehow absorb the force-energy of the jedi she killed (Obvious MotB parallel lol). Either Kreia simply wanted to kill off the Jedi with the Exile (which would be a bit base, but could have been her plan), or she thought that after the Exile had killed all jedi, if the Exile herself was killed the force-power she had accumulated would somehow disappear from the universe. This is assuming that the force is some kind of universal constant, and that the Exile was some means to subtract from that constant. But yeah, its obviously a rushed end and a lot of loose ends are left.

Drakron said:

The 'wound in the force' is the means by which the Exile saps the strength of her defeated enemies. Think of the universe as a living body, and the wound being the means by which the blood is lost. The Exile is that wound. The Death star just killed people, it wasn't some kind of mystical supervillian that threatened the force itself.

Drakron said:

Taking those words at face value is almost as stupid as midichlorians. Its a metaphor. The fact is that its plain magic, and if you take any literal interpretation that is more concrete then that you will find a plot hole SOMEWHERE.

I suppose 'wounding' the force could be taken as decreasing its power in any way. There isn't some literal force-creature, but if you found a way to permanently weaken the energy field that would be wounding it as a whole. Its still all meant to be rather mystical, we can't pretend to understand what that means to someone actually in the universe for the same reason we don't understand hyperdrives.
Drakron said:

Nothing to do with wounds. Remember the cave on Dagobah, which was strong in the dark side? Hardly something Obsidian made up.

ITS NOT IN KOTOR II!

Its a different tone and different style of storytelling. Its hardly not Star Wars. Disconnected stories of the same setting don't necessarily have to be so closely related. It would be different if KOTOR 2 was a continuation of the movies or something, but its an entirely different time period. It also has to deal with the total clusterfuck that KOTOR 1 had for an ending. It shares a lot of themes, characters and locations. Compare the head and tail of any long running series or setting and you will find that they aren't exactly entirely consistent.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Has anyone released a mod that fixes the crappy combat encounters and the non-existent difficulty ?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom