Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News TSI's Seven Dragon Saga CRPG website revealed, confirmed to be crowdfunded

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Seven Dragon Saga; Tactical Simulations Interactive

Shortly after we posted about Tactical Simulation Interactive's Seven Dragon Saga pen-and-paper RPG website the other day, they locked it down, password-protecting most of its pages. Tsk tsk. However, what they failed to hide was the website of their computer RPG, which was located by Codexer LESS T_T using the almighty powers of Google. Here's what it says:

Seven Dragon Saga allows the player to create and customize a full party of adventurers and maneuver them in detailed, turn-based tactical combat. You won’t find any rat-hunting farmers here- characters begin with a suite of talents. Rather, the characters are ‘Touched by the winds of chaos’, and destined for great successes or spectacular demises.

Explore a rich world, uncover lost treasures, deal with challenging social and political situations. The player’s choices alter the world in meaningful ways, both physically and socially. Sent by the Empire of the Seven Dragons to the minor Kingdom of Afelon, the party must uncover who is driving the land to civil war and whether that conspiracy might pose a threat to the Empire at large. What mysteries lie in the surrounding, monster-infested peaks? Who is worthy of trust and who only of death?
The website also has a news blog, which already has three posts. They're not long, so I'll just post them here:

TSI started out as a dream. A dream many of you seem to share. It’s the return of a company you could depend upon to consistently deliver a meaningful RPG experience. While there are many classic RPG franchises and several talented studios, SSI and the Gold Box games delivered, time and again, a new adventure using the same type of compelling, tactical experience. You knew exactly what you were getting: proven technology, a great system/setting, and strategic, party-based combat. Our company, TSI, was formed in that same spirit. While we’ve quietly been working for several months, it’s still early in the overall scheme of things, so please be patient as we role out assets and additional details for what we have planned. We are thrilled to finally be able to share information about our company and our projects.​

TSI is a new enterprise. Naturally, there are a lot of questions including “what took you guys so long”?

Honestly, it took time for the industry to mature and for us to find the resources. Three things had to happen:

1. The technology and costs had to allow for the opportunity to make sense. The shift from PC to consoles was a contributing factor to SSI being sold, as was, PC RPG’s falling out of vogue for publishers. However, digital distribution and terrific tools like Unity3D have lowered the barrier to create quality games.

2. There needed to be a clear demand. Reaction to titles like “Legend of Grimrock” and “Wasteland 2” has demonstrated that there IS an interest for classic RPG gameplay.

3. Getting a passionate team together was vital. Like many of you, David Klein grew up playing SSI games on his Apple IIe (then AppleIIGS/Amiga2000/PC). David’s the one that raised an initial round of funding, and then set out to create a company that could recapture the classic games he loved to play. He sought out David Shelley, a lead designer on many of SSI’s games, to lead the design on TSI’s first project. David Shelley was part of a close circle of alumni friends, and he brought in Paul Murray, an engineer and designer of Wizard’s Crown, Eternal Dagger, many Gold Box games, as well as, the Panzer General series. Every member of the team is excited about creating a compelling experience. We’re fortunate to have several former SSI members and other artists and engineers contributing to the ground work for Seven Dragon Saga, a classic RPG for the modern age​

People will ask “why aren’t you (re-)making (insert favorite here)”, instead of Seven Dragon Saga?

The short answer is that it isn’t entirely up to us. We are, however, incredibly excited about the new endeavor we’ve chosen.

Once our core team decided to embark on this venture, the very next question was: “what should we do for our first project?” We knew initially that we wanted to do a fantasy RPG but, we also needed to take a hard look at how the landscape has changed and what our development roadmap would look like. Fortunately, we had an immediate opportunity to work with a robust rule system and game world. The Seven Dragon Saga is the brainchild of David Shelley and Keith Brors (also an SSI alumni and veteran engineer). Both have been part of a weekly tabletop role-playing since before SSI formed. Being engineers and designers, David and Keith have created and refined their own system over the years. Licensing the game to TSI and getting to work on the computer game itself became a tremendous opportunity. TSI gained a developed system to work from, access to its creators, and the creative freedom to make the ideal game.

Opportunities to work with (insert favorite game/RPG system) are a definite possibility for the future.​

The website has an illustration of one of the game's classes, a "Dwarf Knight", who is dressed in an Arabian-styled garb (and is decidely non-animesque, if you were worried about that). There's also a "Pledge Now" button, that currently just leads to Kickstarter's main page. But I guess that confirms that this is going to be a Kickstarter.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm down for it. :eek:
I do hope they'll have something a bit more substantial to show in the KS than just a concept, tho.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Yeah, unless the campaign goes into some extremely weird direction (or antagonizes in some other way) I expect I'll be backing this. While not everything we've heard/speculated about so far has been my cup of tea, the whole package (that I expect) sounds good enough for me to back. (I'm especially exited about TDE meets GURPS. I hope that really makes it in, in a solid implementation. And not some "Morons were too stupid for our system. We chose to go with D&D/int increases your arm length instead.")

Cynic

Arcane
Yes, cautiously fapping. It's a bit amateurish that they have this website being indexed by google while trying to actively hide other pieces of info though. In any case, looking forward to seeing what they can put together for the kickstarter.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
If it is a Kickstarter thing, then their need for a forum for people to post on will be doubly ridiculous (plus does it really take two weeks to set up a forum I mean come on).

Fuck them. They get nothing from me.

jdinatale

Cipher
I'm going to be pissed if this is another "Here's a few concept art, now give us $1,000,000 because of 30 years worth of nostalgia" kickstarter.

Alchemist

Arcane
I'm going to be pissed if this is another "Here's a few concept art, now give us $1,000,000 because of 30 years worth of nostalgia" kickstarter.
Having some game engine / prototype footage is nice but sometimes that can backfire. Some people judge pre-alpha screenshots with placeholder art as if it was the real game and dismiss the KS immediately.

Concept art + nostalgia worked well enough for inXile and Obsidian. But then again, Shaker also tried that...

stony3k

Augur
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Kickstarter is way too much of a Nostagia trip, and unfortunately the Gold Box games are too old for the current generation to remember. So it likely will be an uphill struggle unless they can somehow market themselves. That is harder to do nowadays in any case. I hope they don't ask for a ton of money, because that won't work.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Having some game engine / prototype footage is nice but sometimes that can backfire. Some people judge pre-alpha screenshots with placeholder art as if it was the real game and dismiss the KS immediately.

Concept art + nostalgia worked well enough for inXile and Obsidian. But then again, Shaker also tried that...
Do you really think InXile's, Obsidian's and the Shaker pitch all gave equal impressions of the game idea?

80Maxwell08

Arcane

Didn't Shaker show up with almost nothing? No name, no idea of what gameplay it was going to be, I don't remember concept art until later in the campaign. I do remember that "fund 2 games" thing they pushed that had no chance of not backfiring if they got that stretch goal.

Alchemist

Arcane
I wasn't saying the Shaker pitch was of equal quality to inXile and Obsidian's. Really the point was, it can be done well or poorly. They were an example of doing it poorly.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Having a combat prototype at this stage, or doing it in a few weeks, would be plain unrealistic. Look at all the problems with combat in the PoE beta that people are reporting, and consider how long it's been in development. I'm actually not really sure having a combat demo ever significantly helped any KS campaign in terms of funding.

I'd just like them to describe their vision in detail, and create the impression of having thought about the kind of game they'd really like to make. It was the absence of any of that that was Shaker's downfall, imho.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Having a combat prototype at this stage, or doing it in a few weeks, would be plain unrealistic. Look at all the problems with combat in the PoE beta that people are reporting, and consider how long it's been in development. I'm actually not really sure having a combat demo ever significantly helped any KS campaign in terms of funding.

I'd just like them to describe their vision in detail, and create the impression of having thought about the kind of game they'd really like to make. It was the absence of any of that that was Shaker's downfall, imho.
Serpent in the Staglands being able to show a working tech demo contributed to me believing they could make the game.

I don't think they need a playable demo, but something to show would be nice.

nikolokolus

Arcane
I see it being a tough sell. First off, the theme/aesthetic is pretty niche and you have to wonder how many people actually remember the SSI years and are still actively into gaming? (I'm in my late thirties and I barely remember playing them) That said, I'm certainly rooting for them to be prepared and have their pitch together - I'm all for more CRPGs that don't shoot for the lowest common denominator and/or have some complexity to them.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Serpent in the Staglands being able to show a working tech demo contributed to me believing they could make the game.

I don't think they need a playable demo, but something to show would be nice.

Yeah. I'm completely fine even with a tech demo.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Having a combat prototype at this stage, or doing it in a few weeks, would be plain unrealistic. Look at all the problems with combat in the PoE beta that people are reporting, and consider how long it's been in development.
To be fair, you're taking OE as an example. Many of their released games felt like Alphas, so that might not be a good comparison.
My concern as towards TSI's "ability" to show some prototype on short notice is more directly influenced by their ability to put together a website :troll:

I'm actually not really sure having a combat demo ever significantly helped any KS campaign in terms of funding.

This I fully agree with.
When I check KSs I hope for a certain layout. So:

Video (Needs to be convincing, both from a game side and from the dev's ability to make that game side.)
Bulletpoints (the design concept, gameplay, philosophy, Lore, etc)
History of the company (who am I expected to trust with my money)
Bulletpoints in detail
(so one or more paragraphs per point)

And of course the backer tiers need to be interesting.

(If I get any older I'll start rambling like Azrael...)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom