Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline True Thief 4 Dark Mod is released

Cassidy

Arcane

Which I remember playing:

10) Let Sleeping Thieves Lie

Achieves horror through ambience, enemy and level design. And by enemy design I mean something that is truly deadly rather than only scary*. It has some annoying mantling sequences though, fortunately not as annoying as they would be in Thief and Thief II because of the improved mantling, but still annoying.

I am not totally sure but the mission might force you to kill it to complete it.

7) The Lich Queen's Demise

Really recommend this one. Actually I have to recommend all of Sotha's FM belonging to the Thomas Porter Series, specially Glenham Tower. It also includes a very interesting threat for a stealth game, and the first implementation of such unique threat as far as I know.

The only one I don't recommend is The Creeps because it is seriously lacking in gameplay, feeling almost like a FMV horror, and the scares are cheap.

PS: If you hate ghosting, you won't like any mission with too many skeletons like Alberic's Curse because they are even more deadly and hard to kill than hammer haunts in Thief.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Sotha is a bit too 'hardcore'. Most of his missions simultaneously demand ghosting and are a pain to do so through 'innovation' (that often entails being forced to carry some kind of light emitting object) and tiny tiny corridors full of patrolling undead. But hey, it's nothing we haven't seen in Thief 2 fan missions, although the AI of TDM is slightly harder to fool. The end result is that ghosting them is slooow.

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
IMHO when you can still barely scrape together 10 horror-themed missions, it's not a good idea making a top-10 list of them. Some of these missions are heavy on the undead, but aren't horrific. Parts of The Requiem are legit scary, though, even if slightly more 'high fantasy' than you might be used to.

Servo

Arcane
This game is incredible. Thanks for bringing it to my attention MetalCraze :bro:

The way fire works is totally impressive. I'm always afraid if I leave a candle lying on a rug it's going to catch on fire. (Still waiting for that to happen.)

Edit: Does anyone else have a problem with missions taking 2-3 minutes to load?

Last edited:

catfood

AGAIN
This game is incredible. Thanks for bringing it to my attention MetalCraze :bro:

The way fire works is totally impressive. I'm always afraid if I leave a candle lying on a rug it's going to catch on fire. (Still waiting for that to happen.)

Edit: Does anyone else have a problem with missions taking 2-3 minutes to load?
It happens to me as well, but hey I can't ask for much with 2,5 gigs of RAM. Luckily the long loading time occurs only when you first boot the mission. Loading saves during the game takes only a few seconds.

Gord

Arcane
It also happens for me with 8GB of ram, so don't expect much from buying more...

Servo

Arcane
It happens to me as well, but hey I can't ask for much with 2,5 gigs of RAM. Luckily the long loading time occurs only when you first boot the mission. Loading saves during the game takes only a few seconds.

It's definitely not a problem of specs. I turned all the settings to minimum and still had crazy long load times. Also mad performance issues in the atrium/entrance area on what's-her-name's tears mission, even with settings at minimum.

vanillacoke

Barely Literate
I'm coming into Dark Mod blind, and Thief is a game about listening, so I will (partially) stick up for this gigantic faggot:
I was interested for about 30 seconds and then the voice acting happened, reminding me why I never play fanmade crap.

The trailer's narrator is a try-hard douche all caught up in doing his "Movie Trailer Guy"-impression, while "Movie Trailer Guy" would be more concerned with "reading his lines well." It's almost the first impression, and it's a massive turn-off.

Voice acting in Dark Mod is actually quite good for 'fanmade crap';
Hopefully this is true. They didn't feature a lot of it, the little bit seemed acceptable.
they did a good job imitating hilarious Thief voices.
Hopefully they didn't do the casting solely based on who does the best impression regardless of their ability to not sound retarding reading from a page (see above.)

Hey i'm the guy who did the narration in the trailer (I only just discovered this thread and forum) but I just wanted to say that the voice was meant purely as a joke. It all started because the trailer was posted on the forums without the narration then someone added "oh it totally needs that movie guy voice" so I pulled out the microphone and did a shitty hammy impression but they liked it so decided to keep it. Personally I don't like it and it is quite jarring and not representative of the mod but it's only meant in gyst and just as a silly remark, but yes you're right without the narration it would be better. Also it's not a fair representation of my vocal work so here is something else I have recorded that is a bit more serious. And all over all the mod has great voice acting in my opinion, a lot of people worked pretty hard on all aspects of the game but in relation to sound you should know that without a sound producer and a proper microphone it's quite hard to get AAA voice acting. You would be surprised at how even an average person can sound much better with the right equipment.

https://soundcloud.com/tylervocals/demo-of-the-new-mic

DeepOcean

Arcane
I'm coming into Dark Mod blind, and Thief is a game about listening, so I will (partially) stick up for this gigantic faggot:
I was interested for about 30 seconds and then the voice acting happened, reminding me why I never play fanmade crap.

The trailer's narrator is a try-hard douche all caught up in doing his "Movie Trailer Guy"-impression, while "Movie Trailer Guy" would be more concerned with "reading his lines well." It's almost the first impression, and it's a massive turn-off.

Voice acting in Dark Mod is actually quite good for 'fanmade crap';
Hopefully this is true. They didn't feature a lot of it, the little bit seemed acceptable.
they did a good job imitating hilarious Thief voices.
Hopefully they didn't do the casting solely based on who does the best impression regardless of their ability to not sound retarding reading from a page (see above.)

Hey i'm the guy who did the narration in the trailer (I only just discovered this thread and forum) but I just wanted to say that the voice was meant purely as a joke. It all started because the trailer was posted on the forums without the narration then someone added "oh it totally needs that movie guy voice" so I pulled out the microphone and did a shitty hammy impression but they liked it so decided to keep it. Personally I don't like it and it is quite jarring and not representative of the mod but it's only meant in gyst and just as a silly remark, but yes you're right without the narration it would be better. Also it's not a fair representation of my vocal work so here is something else I have recorded that is a bit more serious. And all over all the mod has great voice acting in my opinion, a lot of people worked pretty hard on all aspects of the game but in relation to sound you should know that without a sound producer and a proper microphone it's quite hard to get AAA voice acting. You would be surprised at how even an average person can sound much better with the right equipment.

https://soundcloud.com/tylervocals/demo-of-the-new-mic
First: There will be always someone ready to nitpick anything. If I were you, I wouldn't pay attention to anything if there isn't a good argument behind.

Second: You could had done that as a joke but honestly the result was acceptable. It wasn't Hollywood level acting but it didn't made me cringe what it means it achieved the objective.

Third: Fuck the haters, the trailer was better with the narration or we would only see shadows and a generic medieval looking castle without any context.

Servo

Arcane
10) Let Sleeping Thieves Lie

Achieves horror through ambience, enemy and level design. And by enemy design I mean something that is truly deadly rather than only scary*. It has some annoying mantling sequences though, fortunately not as annoying as they would be in Thief and Thief II because of the improved mantling, but still annoying.

I am not totally sure but the mission might force you to kill it to complete it.

I didn't find anything scary about this mission. It was actually pretty cheesy, but fun anyways. And no you don't have to kill anything to complete it.

Wish they would finish porting this to dhewm3.

You're kidding right? They just finished the standalone version...

Azazel

Arbiter
I played quite a bit of the DarkMod this past weekend, finally wrapping up Requiem (which I enjoyed enough to pick up the standalone novel) and then playing through a few city missions.

Am I alone in feeling that the level design is usually sincerely linear across the board? I mean not a lot of houses to burgle, secret doors, etc. outside of the main objectives. I'm new to working in Radiant, but it feels like almost all of the missions I've played rely heavily on the use of prefabricated assets rather than BSP to build out the geometry resulting (especially in city missions) in a very linear affair with little to explore.

Perhaps I am holding TDM to too high of a standard, having played through Ominous Bequest and Broken Triad for T2 in the same weekend, I dunno.

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
Requiem is pretty linear compared to other missions such as Return to the City or A Score to Settle, yes.

Azazel

Arbiter
A score to settle was the one which prompted my thoughts, actually. I'll have to check out Return to the City tonight though, loaded it and then got distracted into Radiant.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Generally the missions do tend to be smaller and a bit more linear than T2 FMs.

Do try out the In The North, though. That's the best one yet, I would say.

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
I think The Phrase Book was the first "pure" Thieves' Highway mission, but it did feature a mansion with a street level there.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom