Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline True Thief 4 Dark Mod is released

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
I played the tear mission for 20 minutes, saved, worked on something, and when I loaded it back it said it couldn't load a script.

I just happened to have the same thing happen to me with loading a quick save in requiem.

Ive yet to make a copy of the folder to keep one for seeding though.

*Edit* Fix was found on the forum.
The folder TDM is in must be named "darkmod"
I'm having the same thing despite naming the folder to "darkmod". I don't even seem to have the "maps" folder where the .script file is supposed to be located. Haven't tested any downloaded missions so far, but I'm having the issue with both the training mission and Tears of Saint Lucia. The game seems to work perfectly fine otherwise.

edit: Creating an empty "maps" folder seemed to solve the issue, at least in the training mission.

Last edited:

Tzaero

DEPARTED
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'm having the same thing despite naming the folder to "darkmod". I don't even seem to have the "maps" folder where the .script file is supposed to be located. Haven't tested any downloaded missions so far, but I'm having the issue with both the training mission and Tears of Saint Lucia. The game seems to work perfectly fine otherwise.

The save cant be loaded, but future ones will work fine.

Echo Mirage

Arcane
The direct download is still slower then a snails pace for me. It would be quicker to go to their servers on foot and pick up a copy then it would be to download it.

Gord

Arcane
Use the various torrents, it's the fastest way right now.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Tears of Saint Lucia was a nice little map. Short, but nice.

Started a bit with Requiem. Hiding the key inside the fireplace, what a no-brainer. :lol: The music is a pain in the ass though.

I'm just gonna continue with Vengeance for a Thief. Got out of the prison; city streets look nice. Very good lighting.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
While this is great news, I think I'll hold off finally playing TDM until there's a 2.1 release or something similar.

MetalCraze

Arcane
The direct download is still slower then a snails pace for me. It would be quicker to go to their servers on foot and pick up a copy then it would be to download it.
TTLG hosts dropbox or such downloads, check their Thief forum

That's an easy difficulty

The harder one is to find out which server is the fastest since it uses multiple for download (check which file is downloaded from which and at which speed) then mark "don't refresh server list on update" or an option like that in advanced. Then open the text file containing servers and delete everything but that fast server. Voila.

That's how I've downloaded it very fast on release. Some servers were snails pace but one was 5 MB/s

gromit

Arcane
The Dark Mod said:
Big changes have been made to the sound propagation system that will allow mappers a lot more control over how players hear sound; for example, mappers can now make doors block different amounts of sound depending on their thickness, or can control how much sound passes through windows or small holes.
They had better mean "allow" and not "require." It (still?) has some default geometry-based propogation in there, right?

Buggy amateur crap or epic fan-crafted masterpiece?
We all know, all too well, this is a false dichotomy. (Off the record, you usually don't even need the words "amateur" or "fan-crafted" in there.) But they've been at this for quite some time now, yeah?

I'm coming into Dark Mod blind, and Thief is a game about listening, so I will (partially) stick up for this gigantic faggot:
I was interested for about 30 seconds and then the voice acting happened, reminding me why I never play fanmade crap.

The trailer's narrator is a try-hard douche all caught up in doing his "Movie Trailer Guy"-impression, while "Movie Trailer Guy" would be more concerned with "reading his lines well." It's almost the first impression, and it's a massive turn-off.

Voice acting in Dark Mod is actually quite good for 'fanmade crap';
Hopefully this is true. They didn't feature a lot of it, the little bit seemed acceptable.
they did a good job imitating hilarious Thief voices.
Hopefully they didn't do the casting solely based on who does the best impression regardless of their ability to not sound retarding reading from a page (see above.)

Is your DarkMod folder called "darkmod"? Cause it has to be.
And fuck-ups like this just lead me to believe the follow-the-absent-leader cargo-cult bullshit is endemic to the project as a whole.

Okay, now that my hopes are sufficiently realistically low, I'm probably ready to play and enjoy this. The parts where everybody shut the fuck up and cool Thief-y stuff happened looked pretty fucking good.

Cassidy

Arcane
While this is great news, I think I'll hold off finally playing TDM until there's a 2.1 release or something similar.

If you'd rather wait longer, then I'd suggest waiting for the still in-development "main campaign". By the time it is released, there will be it plus enough FMs for a long time of fun

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Waiting for a patch or two isn't a bad idea as there are quite many game-breaking bugs still present. I've only finished two missions and already encountered a ton of crashes (some requiring CFG file editing, some being just unexplainable), savegame corruption, the aforementioned load game issue, missions that refuse to even start for no apparent reason and so on. Still, the mod's so good that there's no excuse not to play it eventually.

The trailer's narrator is a try-hard douche all caught up in doing his "Movie Trailer Guy"-impression, while "Movie Trailer Guy" would be more concerned with "reading his lines well." It's almost the first impression, and it's a massive turn-off.
It was probably intentional. Kind of reminded me of felipepepe's "good fucking riddance" AoD trailer in its unapologetic nature, especially when contrasted with the shitty Thiaf trailer that was posted with it.

Based on the couple of missions I've played, the voice acting in the game is perfectly fine and conveys that Thief feeling reasonably well. It's definitely not going to ruin the game unless you're a faggot of gargantuan proportions. I guess my only complaint would be that the guards sound like twentysomethings, which is pretty natural but still reminds you that you're only playing fan missions.

gromit

Arcane
It was probably intentional.
Then I wish people would stop hamstringing themselves with in-jokey bullshit and "satire." At least, projects banking on an attempt to recreate products with genuinely sober atmospheres.

Going stand-alone is an excellent opportunity to expand the audience -- it looks, feels, and is more legitimate. That by all reports the in-game voices are "perfectly fine" is miraculous, because bad voice-acting gets so bad. So a project with "perfectly fine" voice acting launches their next phase with a douche making a stupid voice at you?

It makes even less sense. People who don't go "hurr hurr it's like that movie commercials voice guy only like ironic and stuff," go "oh god another fan-project where they either have no clue or don't give a fuck."

Anyway, just wanted to say, don't blame 7/10 for turning that shit the fuck off. Blame whoever's responsible for that narration going any further than the stoner's couch where it belongs (and is probably passingly humorous in context.)

Gord

Arcane
FFS, just try it, if you have any interest. If you still think it's shit, you can delete it right away.
If you aren't interested anyway, why make up stupid excuses?

MetalCraze

Arcane
So what's the verdict?

Buggy amateur crap or epic fan-crafted masterpiece?

In the middle ATM

They need to do something about Doom 3 lighting and shadows and do something about voice overs. Maybe it's possible replacing VOs with samples from Thief1/2/3

And EAX. FFS make it work on non-EAX cards already.

Gameplay wise it's Thief with improvements to AI that series always needed.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
They need to do something about Doom 3 lighting and shadows and do something about voice overs. Maybe it's possible replacing VOs with samples from Thief1/2/3
Being a good VO whore, I 'd very much like that, but wouldn't that cause legal problems? Using the assets of the older games?

Gord

Arcane
The easy way out is usually to require the player to provide them, but that would restrict the distribution of TDM 2.0.
Anyway, the few missions I've played so far haven't been that bad in terms of voice acting, I've certainly seen heard worse.

gromit

Arcane
FFS, just try it, if you have any interest. If you still think it's shit, you can delete it right away. If you aren't interested anyway, why make up stupid excuses?
Don't drag me into some "if you're not with us you're against us" bullshit.

I am so interested in trying it, that I wish they'd act like they had an interest in other people trying it. It's a massive jump in scale, but imagine if the inXile kickstarters were banking on jokes about Golden Manbabies. Wouldn't it be lovely -- we could all continue on, smug in the belief that no-one else has any interest, because everyone is dumb and we are smart.

The rest of the trailer looks fantastic. They should have started and stopped with the fantastic parts. The shit voice-acting on the cutting room floor. For a "joke" sounds a lot like the kind of VA these projects sometimes end up with, so it's pretty asinine to have ganged up on someone for puking in their mouth a little and stopping the video.

They should have floated that shit, and someone should have said, "no, this is not only kind of dumb, but will give the wrong impression to anyone who hasn't been following / half-following this project." Or was the trailer just for the purposes of a masturbatory circle-jerk? Because I strongly believe an easily-installable standalone Dark Mod could make a huge splash, outside the usual community.

Anecdotally, in "real life" all the other people I know who are "gamers" -- that bop around forums, that make "cultural" in-jokes -- have the worst, and most predictable taste. The people who like good games don't do that, because they have extremely low tolerances for retardation.

As it should be, in all things :obviously:'d

Sophistry and pseudo-ethical argument aside, it's stupid to lead your trailer with tone and content not found in the product. If that content sucks, it's indicative of a disregard for the quality of tone and content. Thankfully I -- unlike 99.99% of the potential audience for this -- know better, having kept one eye on this project for a while.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom