Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline True Thief 4 Dark Mod is released

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Then you should check thread with recomended FMs. Risk of burning out shrink.

Gord

Arcane
It's different, usually independent missions in a different setting for trademark/copyright reasons, but very obviously inspired by the Thief games.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
You know, it will sound silly, but all the videos of gameplay i ever watched from these series always put me off. It seems boring and i don't like some stupid skeletons in stealth games. I did love Hitman games. How is Thief comparing with them? What are main distinctions?

Baron Dupek

Arcane
The Dark Mod 2.02 is standalone, you don't need Doom3 to play.
I didn't played Hitman since first one in 2003. Thief is all about hiding in shadow, checking light crystal in the middle to prevent detection, and being aware of noise. Yes, sounds is important, modern devs cannot into that. Wood is OK, carpets are your best friends and metal is your worst enemy.
Play if you like to rob riches, pickpoketing and sneaking through undetected. Blackjacking is allowed but game taste best without it. It's called ghosting - no knockouts, no kills, no detection.

Divinity: Original Sin
You know, it will sound silly, but all the videos of gameplay i ever watched from these series always put me off. It seems boring and i don't like some stupid skeletons in stealth games. I did love Hitman games. How is Thief comparing with them? What are main distinctions?

Just play it already, play directly on expert difficulty. Thief 2 has almost no undead, and the ones that are there are easily missable. But treat the undead as very ugly people and pretend they're alive. And watching anyone play is boring, but when it's you playing... it is amazing. I'd recommend playing through them all in order, then FMs, but never play thiaf 4, because that game was cancelled and never released.

Thief is the real stealth game that no other competition came ever close. It's different of hitman because you don't hide in plain sight, and you don't have to kill anyone.

EDIT
Oh, things I should add: When I first heard about thief, I had a disc with a demo of the first game (dark project) and played it on a friend's computer, and I hated, because I was so used by FPSs of the time. then, I got a better computer a year later, and i decided to try lots of demos from those magazine disks, and I decided to try thief once again. Man, it was the best game i tried in years. I bought thief 1 and 2 at the first opportunity, and played through both of them in the free time I had back them.

So, I'm not good in ranking favorite games but if I had a gun pointed to my head forcing me to choose the best game ever of my life, Thief 1 and 2 would be my answer. And yes, since I played both together, i really consider 1 and 2 just one big game.

Monkey Island 2 is my second best game. beyond that, i can't rank.

Last edited:

garren

Arcane
Patron
Thief doesn't really have social stealth outside of one mission and random peasants and guards on the streets. You use shadows to hide mainly and can use sound as a distraction (noisemaker arrow etc.), killing is discouraged, the highest difficulty level forbids it. How much noise you make factors heavily how easily you are spotted, so avoid walking on those metal gratings and marble floors. Aside from mission objectives (often stealing a particular thing), you're supposed to steal as much loot as you can (how much loot you steal in a level, is how much money you can spend in the next mission buying gear, any leftover loot is discarded). You have rope and vine arrows which allow you to make new routes yourself in the sprawling levels.

Like you said, Thief has horror elements to it, whether you like them or not is up to the player. Thief has an excellent dark atmosphere and a cool setting. The lore isn't shoved in your face, it's up to you if you feel like reading about the stuff, which is often done by reading the in-game books, scrolls and notes, and listening to the conversations various individuals have. The environment itself also tells much of the world and setting by its visuals.

Gord

Arcane
First time shouldn't be necessarily played on expert directly. Play normal or hard first and save expert for a replay - it offers more objectives for increased replay values.

First time shouldn't be necessarily played on expert directly. Play normal or hard first and save expert for a replay - it offers more objectives for increased replay values.

There's aways FMs for that. And one can change difficultty at the beginning of each level, anyway.

TripJack

Hedonist
one series is shadow/sound-based stealth, the other is disguise-based stealth

one seires is third person perspective, the other is superior first person perspective

Thief has 2 great games in the series plus an awesome free successor in The Dark Mod that just needs more missions made for it, Hitman has 1 great game in the series

Thief has a metric fuckton of user-made missions, Hitman has no user-made missions AFAIK?

you haven't lived until you've sat in a tiny sliver of shadow shitting your pants in terror as the clink-clinking, the whispering, & the laughing of one of those 'stupid skeletons' is getting closer and closer as it searches you out, just two touches from its longsword and you are a fresh pile of thief mincemeat :obviously:

i disagree entirely

Will not play it probably anyway. :troll:
tasteless faggot

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
I see there's strong thief agenda on codex. Very vigorous responses all around.
Btw, ''sneaking on skeleton'' is still retarded concept. They don't have ears, eyes or any other senses. They are ghosts, who detect you with their metaphysical powers, not nose. Veeer is muh realizm?!

There's no skeletons in thief, there's zombies, which have eyes, nose and ears. Realism? thief has steam robots...

if you want realism, go play hitman, where people can't recognize their fat haired cook suddenly got thiner and bald.

Anyway, realism in movies/games is an impossible concept anyways...

Who knows man, all's I'm sayin' is that blackjack is the only weapon you need (other than holy water arrows for select situations). The no killing rule doesn't add to the challenge.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom