Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tropico 5 - Released

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Why even play games when you can code them?

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I liked the gameplay of Tropico 3, but couldn't stand the barren and vacant humour.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Tanks, molotovs and rocket launchers? Massive military invasions? Maybe now military will no longer be a "Build base+arsenal and forget" faction

Jugashvili

管官的官
Patron
Codex 2013
Looks like the war sim kiddies finally got their toys. I don't have much respect for Kalypso, but I didn't expect them to sink that low. Tropico never was a war game, nor was it meant to be. Tanks, rocket launchers and massive military invasions are not in keeping with the Caribbean banana republic theme.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Tanks, molotovs and rocket launchers? Massive military invasions? Maybe now military will no longer be a "Build base+arsenal and forget" faction

Were they shooting at building and then run over by a bad driver?

Renegen

Arcane
I saw some of the preview videos and I am actually really impressed with the changes they've made. Essentially, the game's economy doesn't give you anything for free anymore, there's a cost now. That nice gold deposit deep in your island that will nonetheless set your economy up for the next 20 years? You can't exploit it anymore because you have to explore your island with cash before you know of its resources. That lumber camp that generates a lot of money and has low costs? You need to research the building first. Those money printing cheap tourism buildings? You don't get them until the 3rd era of the game. Want to sell excess corn on the world markets? Nope, exports are only possible through selective trade offers that have a set contract length, if no one is buying corn tough luck. Foreign aid? Sure but if you piss them off in the colonial era it's game over.

I think the game is finally going to be challenging and the eras thing at least feels different.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I think the game is finally going to be challenging
As long as you stay away from the inevitable DLC cheat buildings. ;)

Jokes aside, this sounds quite promising. very much looking forward to friday!

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You forgot to add "everything described with a retarded humour which kills all the joy of playing"

Borelli

Arcane
You forgot to add "everything described with a retarded humour which kills all the joy of playing"
In Tropico 1 the leader's traits descriptions had some funnies but some of them were told straight, but in Tropico 3 they added hit or miss humour to every. Single. One. Felt too contrived.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
http://store.steampowered.com/app/245620

And it has day 1 patch notes longer than SMA's penis:

• Several performance and visual optimizations
• Added visual effect for failed and expired tasks
• Fixed rare loading screen freezes
• Fixed traffic logic bugs (cars no longer get stuck)
• Improved multiplayer stability
• Fixed several multiplayer exploits
• Alt+mouse scroll now changes zoom level while placing a building
• Oil Refinery no longer collapses when nearby deposits are depleted
• Disasters no longer change camera scroll speed
• Tornadoes no longer destroy buildings that are far away
• Fixed rebuilding destroyed buildings after disasters
• Campaign progress correctly matches the dynasty used and no longer prompts for dynasty saves
• Added autosave between campaign missions
• Plantations and ranches no longer transform to construction sites when crops or livestock type is changed
• Improved trade ships movement logic
• Trade ships and freighters now use different color schemes
• Revoke effect of the Martial Law edict on elections is now corrected
• Fixed some achievements not working/unlocking properly
• Improved surface suitable for construction on randomly generated islands
• Improved hardware compatibility with Intel HD graphics cards
• Fixed several localization issues. Those responsible have been punished by Miss Pineapple

I'll report back soon if it's :decline: or :incline: compared to number 4.

Last edited by a moderator:

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Decline even further, as far as I can tell. Presidente Traits are even more barebones, they're just one basic one. Yes, I know there's more than one dynasty member in this one, but come on, Crusader Kings has tons of traits for each of the thousands of characters in the game.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
In Tropico 1 the leader's traits descriptions had some funnies but some of them were told straight, but in Tropico 3 they added hit or miss humour to every. Single. One. Felt too contrived.

Don't worry! They removed almost all leader traits for 5.

Happy?

Grinolf

Arcane
This. The whole "colonial" era thing strikes me as a gimmick, and a very dumb and uninspired one at that. The Tropico concept is meant to simulate what it is meant to simulate -- a banana dictatorship. In other words, c. 1950s to 1980s. Could be stretched back to the 1920s, with the United Fruit coup and the revolts in Honduras, Panama, El Salvador, and the rise of the Somoza dynasty in the 1930s. The name of the game is repression, electoral fraud, embezzlement, insurgencies, meddling by international companies and powers, and so forth.
Actually much earlier. Cabbages and Kings is considered as canonical description of banana republic in the culture and it was realeased at the begining of 20th century ("1904," - google tells me).

And yes, it was a very timely answer.

Jugashvili

管官的官
Patron
Codex 2013
Actually much earlier. Cabbages and Kings is considered as canonical description of banana republic in the culture and it was realeased at the begining of 20th century ("1904," - google tells me).

And yes, it was a very timely answer.

The term was coined in 1904, as in the earliest documented use of it, but it only entered the cultural and political mainstream with the Fruit company coups in the 1910s-1920s (Cuyamel Fruit and most notoriously United Fruit).

Not to mention the fact that a colony cannot be a banana republic, by definition.

baturinsky

Arcane
Playing it now... Like: snap-to grid and farm area highlight, need to make variable goods to sell, instead of cigar spam or something. Dislike: lack of Pause shortcut, confused with how many new things (such as trade) exactly work.

Edit: Also, music is much better.

Last edited:

Grinolf

Arcane
The term was coined in 1904, as in the earliest documented use of it, but it only entered the cultural and political mainstream with the Fruit company coups in the 1910s-1920s (Cuyamel Fruit and most notoriously United Fruit).

Not to mention the fact that a colony cannot be a banana republic, by definition.

I don't think it is really matters in this case, when it became a culturial and political mainstream. Much more importantl is the fact, that region at that time was already quite a mess and provided a plenty of material for satire. And the best and most memorable attempt to make fun of banana republimcs was done in that time. So pushing a start date earlier was justifies. Another question, if it was justified to push it back all the way into colonial period. Obviously there was no republic, even banan's ones, at that period. But from what I saw, at that time you play as a governor, who try to avoid giving all his moneys to the metropolis and in the same time pleasing crown enough to have his governorship extended even longer. And as idea it didn't sound bad.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
After playing the first mission it seems to be more of the same, which is hardly surprising. On first glance it does seem like many things have gotten a bit more complex, but it's hard to say how things will play out on later missions that should be a bit more challenging than the first one.

If you liked Tropico 4 you'll surely like this, if you didn't then there's probably nothing new in 5 that will make you enjoy it.

Edit: One significant difference from Tropico 4 is that you can return to a previous island in later campaign missions, with all your buildings intact. So it's often advantageous to build up a bit more than you need to complete a mission, and to plan your infrastructure so that it can handle future expansion.

Last edited:

baturinsky

Arcane
Got stuck in third mission. How do I wage wars? Enemy attack in group, killing my squads one by one

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Build guard towers to occupy the enemy, and build your military buildings close together so that your forces move as a blob. Tanks are also good.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Not bad so far. The first time in Tropico series that I lost due to failing in elections even with fraud. Otherwise - construction and education is a mess. Buildings are constructed SLOWLY.You are in near-constant deficit of high-school education.

baturinsky

Arcane
Having two or three construction offices and schools at a time was a rule of thumb in Tropico 4 and seems to be the same in Tropico 5

Last edited:

Calapine

Educated
Patron
Codex 2014
First few minutes impression:

Colours! Ugh. Like it has been programmed with crayons. I know the series is over the top, but in 5 it's just painfull to watch. Everything looks too...happy too. Palace being spiffy is ok, but slums should look slumy.

Gamespeeds. There are 2. Normal and Fast. That's too barebones. Of course you can pause, but playinger at a Slow speed during diffcult times and construction feels much more natural than FULL PAUSE, FULL SPEED, FULL PAUSE. And why no Very Fast in case I just want to skip some months quick? It can't be technical, the game sits at 20% CPU utilization on my old i7 920.

Avatar. Females ones are all so ugly. Of all races the African has the least ugly one. But I didn't want to be black!!

pDt0QZc.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom