Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Trio of NWN2 videos at IGN

Spazmo

Erudite
Tags: Feargus Urquhart; Neverwinter Nights 2; Obsidian Entertainment

<a href=http://www.ign.com>IGN</a> got Feargus Urquhart to take them through a set of <a href=http://pc.ign.com/articles/704/704146p1.html>video preview</a> of the upcoming NWN2.<blockquote>From there, Feargus continues by explaining classes, alignments (and how they affect gameplay), and, interestingly, background stories. Something that's always bugged me is the relative lack of information in my RPG characters' history. Games like Oblivion are awesome but the history of my character that wound him up in jail is pretty much non-existent. This feature in NWN2 allows players not only to have a history, but have it affect the way the NPCs react at early stages.</blockquote>There's an interesting notion. I wonder how that works. Is the character background a D&D mad lib? "I grew up in _______ apprenticed to a ________ but my real interests were in _________!" And to what extent will NPCs "react"? Will one or two of them occasionally go "Oh! It's [PC]! Have you been doing any [POTTERY] lately, [PC]?"
<br>
<br>
Thanks to <b>Hbyperboy</b> for the heads up.

sheek

Arbiter
Spazmo said:
There's an interesting notion. I wonder how that works. Is the character background a D&D mad lib? "I grew up in _______ apprenticed to a ________ but my real interests were in _________!" And to what extent will NPCs "react"? Will one or two of them occasionally go "Oh! It's [PC]! Have you been doing any [POTTERY] lately, [PC]?"

Lol.

HoodRich

Novice
Glad to hear they're not taking that stupid 'hey your character is you so no background because we want you to feel more immersed and stuff. oh and he's in jail, but he's in jail because of whatever you think in your own mind! hehe immershun' route. Maybe they'll make it like that arcanum game which had this cool method of the background giving you advantages and disadvantages. Most likely the background is probably going to be really centered around that whole silly sword in skull concept, which would be too bad.

RiK

Novice
Have you watched the videos?

It's Baldur's Gate 3. Instead of re-doing Neverwinter Nights with an enjoyable single player experience, they've added Neverwinter Nights 3d, multiplayer and mod-making to Baldur's Gate.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Wrong. It's NWN2. With more controllable npcs. This is a fact.

LlamaGod

Cipher
Backgrounds effecting your stats weaves into your character perfectly, since it modifies their role according to their past.

But if they arnt really going on the whole roleplaying thing, they'll just end up being retarded.

kris

Arcane
LlamaGod said:
But if they arnt really going on the whole roleplaying thing, they'll just end up being retarded.

he did say that the backgounds would affect NPC reactions and conversations, especially in the begining. To what extent or how deep that will be is yet to be seen. At least it IS there.

These interviews made me more positive about NWN2 and I may even preorder it.

RiK

Novice
Volourn said:
Wrong. It's NWN2. With more controllable npcs. This is a fact.

Such control over the npc's, together with the "paused combat" makes it Baldur's Gate on 3d.

HoodRich

Novice
For some reason yesterday i couldn't get the videos to download, but i just got them to work. Is there some unwritten rule that says game designers must sound like kids? But anyways, he spent a little too much time on character creation and lighting. Besides that the actual game just looks like another boring typical fantasy. Combat neither looks tactical, or like a fun little hack and slash; in other words it looks boring. Environments look uninteresting and uninspired. As do races. I mean, really, elves and dwarves again? Sheesh. However the companion thing seems to be pretty well thought out.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Such control over the npc's, together with the "paused combat" makes it Baldur's Gate on 3d."

No. It makes it NWN with controllable npcs. btw, moron, NWN had "paused combat". Dumbass.

RiK

Novice
Volourn said:
"Such control over the npc's, together with the "paused combat" makes it Baldur's Gate on 3d."

No. It makes it NWN with controllable npcs. btw, moron, NWN had "paused combat". Dumbass.

You're CANADIAN!!!! lol

Vultok

Novice
Spazmo said:
"I grew up in _______ apprenticed to a ________ but my real interests were in _________!" And to what extent will NPCs "react"? Will one or two of them occasionally go "Oh! It's [PC]! Have you been doing any [POTTERY] lately, [PC]?"

Worked great in Earthbound

Spazmo

Erudite
I always liked chargen in Gearhead, where the one character I created had a father who was a PIRATE and a mother who was a FIREMAN. I reasoned that the genetic material from a pirate and a fireman had to create some kind of ubermensch.

Atrokkus

Erudite
As do races. I mean, really, elves and dwarves again?
For crying out loud, it's DND, and set in Forgotten Realms. It's SUPPOSED to be like that.

I agree, however, that htey could include some extra races, from other DND settings -- Eberron, Greyhawk, Planescape (RIP), though there isn't much variety in them either, in terms of player races. Pretty much the same.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Any game without dwarves automatically lose 10% rating points. Period.

HoodRich

Novice
metallix said:
As do races. I mean, really, elves and dwarves again?
For crying out loud, it's DND, and set in Forgotten Realms. It's SUPPOSED to be like that.

I agree, however, that htey could include some extra races, from other DND settings -- Eberron, Greyhawk, Planescape (RIP), though there isn't much variety in them either, in terms of player races. Pretty much the same.

Exactly. I'm sure they have a bunch of races they could pull from. It's just sad to see elves, dwarves, etc. again. In every fantasy game. Always.

LlamaGod

Cipher
How come they arnt using the added races from the 3.0/3.5 Forgotten Realms book? like Sun Elves and Drow and those elemental races.

I'd play one of the elemental guys, just for a change of pace.

Spazmo

Erudite
They are. Every interview you see mentions how they're implementing tons of subraces, just like IWD2 did. It's really not hard. You just have to change the stat modifiers and maybe change the colour on the model.

Rhombus

Liturgist
Spazmo said:
I always liked chargen in Gearhead, where the one character I created had a father who was a PIRATE and a mother who was a FIREMAN. I reasoned that the genetic material from a pirate and a fireman had to create some kind of ubermensch.

I would think having the mother being the pirate and the father the fireman would be better... everyone knows how cool and sexy female pirates are, they must have great genes... and male firemen are just the coolest.. I mean, just watch a couple of fireman-movies..

Rhombus

Liturgist
Heh.. I loved Backdraft when I was a kid.. and wanted to be a fireman because of it.. Haven't seen it in like.. 10 years or something..

There is a newer movie though.. *quick search on imdb* "Ladder 49"... also shows how cool firefighters are.. Though I dislike Travolta some..

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom