Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Preview Trio of NWN2 videos at IGN

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Spazmo, May 2, 2006.

1. Spazmogender: ⚧ Erudite

Spazmo
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    Tags: Feargus Urquhart; Neverwinter Nights 2; Obsidian Entertainment

<a href=http://www.ign.com>IGN</a> got Feargus Urquhart to take them through a set of <a href=http://pc.ign.com/articles/704/704146p1.html>video preview</a> of the upcoming NWN2.<blockquote>From there, Feargus continues by explaining classes, alignments (and how they affect gameplay), and, interestingly, background stories. Something that's always bugged me is the relative lack of information in my RPG characters' history. Games like Oblivion are awesome but the history of my character that wound him up in jail is pretty much non-existent. This feature in NWN2 allows players not only to have a history, but have it affect the way the NPCs react at early stages.</blockquote>There's an interesting notion. I wonder how that works. Is the character background a D&D mad lib? "I grew up in _______ apprenticed to a ________ but my real interests were in _________!" And to what extent will NPCs "react"? Will one or two of them occasionally go "Oh! It's [PC]! Have you been doing any [POTTERY] lately, [PC]?"
    <br>
    <br>
    Thanks to <b>Hbyperboy</b> for the heads up.

^ Top  
  2. sheekgender: ⚧ Arbiter

sheek
    Parrots:
    Lol.

^ Top  
  3. HoodRichgender: ⚧ Novice

HoodRich
    Parrots:
    Glad to hear they're not taking that stupid 'hey your character is you so no background because we want you to feel more immersed and stuff. oh and he's in jail, but he's in jail because of whatever you think in your own mind! hehe immershun' route. Maybe they'll make it like that arcanum game which had this cool method of the background giving you advantages and disadvantages. Most likely the background is probably going to be really centered around that whole silly sword in skull concept, which would be too bad.

^ Top  
  4. RiKgender: ⚧ Novice

RiK
    Parrots:
    Have you watched the videos?

It's Baldur's Gate 3. Instead of re-doing Neverwinter Nights with an enjoyable single player experience, they've added Neverwinter Nights 3d, multiplayer and mod-making to Baldur's Gate.

^ Top  
  5. Volourngender: ⚧ Pretty Princess Pretty Princess

Volourn
    Parrots:
    Wrong. It's NWN2. With more controllable npcs. This is a fact.

^ Top  
  6. LlamaGodgender: ⚧ Erudite

LlamaGod
    Parrots:
    Backgrounds effecting your stats weaves into your character perfectly, since it modifies their role according to their past.

But if they arnt really going on the whole roleplaying thing, they'll just end up being retarded.

^ Top  
  7. krisgender: ⚧ Arcane

kris
    Parrots:
    he did say that the backgounds would affect NPC reactions and conversations, especially in the begining. To what extent or how deep that will be is yet to be seen. At least it IS there.

These interviews made me more positive about NWN2 and I may even preorder it.

^ Top  
  8. RiKgender: ⚧ Novice

RiK
    Parrots:
    Such control over the npc's, together with the "paused combat" makes it Baldur's Gate on 3d.

^ Top  
  9. HoodRichgender: ⚧ Novice

HoodRich
    Parrots:
    For some reason yesterday i couldn't get the videos to download, but i just got them to work. Is there some unwritten rule that says game designers must sound like kids? But anyways, he spent a little too much time on character creation and lighting. Besides that the actual game just looks like another boring typical fantasy. Combat neither looks tactical, or like a fun little hack and slash; in other words it looks boring. Environments look uninteresting and uninspired. As do races. I mean, really, elves and dwarves again? Sheesh. However the companion thing seems to be pretty well thought out.

^ Top  
  10. Volourngender: ⚧ Pretty Princess Pretty Princess

Volourn
    Parrots:
    "Such control over the npc's, together with the "paused combat" makes it Baldur's Gate on 3d."

No. It makes it NWN with controllable npcs. btw, moron, NWN had "paused combat". Dumbass.

^ Top  
  11. RiKgender: ⚧ Novice

RiK
    Parrots:
    You're CANADIAN!!!! lol

^ Top  
  12. Volourngender: ⚧ Pretty Princess Pretty Princess

Volourn
    Parrots:
    No. I'm Kanadian.

^ Top  
  13. Naked_Lunchgender: ⚧ Erudite

Naked_Lunch
    Parrots:
  14. Vultokgender: ⚧ Novice

Vultok
    Parrots:
    Worked great in Earthbound

^ Top  
  15. HoodRichgender: ⚧ Novice

HoodRich
    Parrots:
    Earthbound? You mean that three megabyte 16-bit console game from 1994?

^ Top  
  16. Spazmogender: ⚧ Erudite

Spazmo
    Parrots:
    I always liked chargen in Gearhead, where the one character I created had a father who was a PIRATE and a mother who was a FIREMAN. I reasoned that the genetic material from a pirate and a fireman had to create some kind of ubermensch.

^ Top  
  17. Atrokkusgender: ⚧ Erudite

Atrokkus
    Parrots:
    For crying out loud, it's DND, and set in Forgotten Realms. It's SUPPOSED to be like that.

I agree, however, that htey could include some extra races, from other DND settings -- Eberron, Greyhawk, Planescape (RIP), though there isn't much variety in them either, in terms of player races. Pretty much the same.

^ Top  
  18. Volourngender: ⚧ Pretty Princess Pretty Princess

Volourn
    Parrots:
    Any game without dwarves automatically lose 10% rating points. Period.

^ Top  
  19. HoodRichgender: ⚧ Novice

HoodRich
    Parrots:
    Exactly. I'm sure they have a bunch of races they could pull from. It's just sad to see elves, dwarves, etc. again. In every fantasy game. Always.

^ Top  
  20. LlamaGodgender: ⚧ Erudite

LlamaGod
    Parrots:
    How come they arnt using the added races from the 3.0/3.5 Forgotten Realms book? like Sun Elves and Drow and those elemental races.

I'd play one of the elemental guys, just for a change of pace.

^ Top  
  21. Spazmogender: ⚧ Erudite

Spazmo
    Parrots:
    They are. Every interview you see mentions how they're implementing tons of subraces, just like IWD2 did. It's really not hard. You just have to change the stat modifiers and maybe change the colour on the model.

^ Top  
  22. Rhombusgender: ⚧ Liturgist

Rhombus
    Parrots:
    I would think having the mother being the pirate and the father the fireman would be better... everyone knows how cool and sexy female pirates are, they must have great genes... and male firemen are just the coolest.. I mean, just watch a couple of fireman-movies..

^ Top  
  23. One Wolfgender: ⚧ Scholar

One Wolf
    Parrots:
    if you are suggesting Backdraft, please proceed to the nearest cuisinart and insert your face.

^ Top  
  24. LlamaGodgender: ⚧ Erudite

LlamaGod
    Parrots:
    DONT OPEN THE DOOOOOOOR!!!!!!!1111111111111

^ Top  
  25. Rhombusgender: ⚧ Liturgist

Rhombus
    Parrots:
    Heh.. I loved Backdraft when I was a kid.. and wanted to be a fireman because of it.. Haven't seen it in like.. 10 years or something..

There is a newer movie though.. *quick search on imdb* "Ladder 49"... also shows how cool firefighters are.. Though I dislike Travolta some..

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)