Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Trinity name change contest

deadlus

Novice
So it's certain that you guys must change the name?

Raymondo

Liturgist
mr. lamat said:
i see you've hired your six year-old nephew as lead artist. stellar job, mate. absolute top gear there! now just have your mumsy fund it and get your dad to photocopy the manual at work and you're all set, superstar.

otaku hanjob: you need some help sweetie. all that rage, all that angst... it's scary.

Mr. Lamat, you my friend are an idiot. You don’t seem to understand how these things work so I’m going to make it very clear to you.

Most games these days take about 1 to 2 years in development and consist of about 110,000 to 350,000 lines of code, 5,000 textures and about 800 3d models. Now why do you think independent games always go vapourware, huh? Because it takes about 20 to 40 people at least a year and a half, working fulltime whereas Independent developers work about half of that maybe even a 3rd.

Now do you understand why they go vapourware?

Let’s also, just for the fun of it, bring up the less experience factor. Independent games consist of a lot more less experience team members then industry games, making it harder and making more problems for them.

Oh yeah and let’s also not forget the fact that they’re not getting paid for this, so therefore it’s more likely for an independent game to fail because they don’t have to worry about losing money for the business because there isn’t one.

So why don’t you sit down, shut the fuck up and think about killing yourself.

Oh by the way if you do slit your wrists do it in a bath with water. That way it’s easier to clean up.

mr. lamat

Liturgist
wow Raydundo you sure showed me. you made it hurt inside and that's not okay. my feelings are valid and i do not approve when mean people like yourself make such hurtful comments. perhaps these suicide fantasies and thoughts of violence you have do need be talked about, but i am hardly the person and this is not the venue. please refrain from sharing anymore of who you are as a person, it makes me not like you very much.

once again, this game will never be completed!

Raymondo

Liturgist
wow Raydundo

I see you failed the spelling test at school again. Oh well there’s always next year. Also when you start a new sentence, after a full stop you put a capital letter. Like this.

my feelings are valid

Not to me.

and i do not approve when mean

I didn’t ask for your approval

it makes me not like you very much.

Your opinion equals jack shit to me.

mr. lamat

Liturgist
yes... raydundo = redundant.

you seem a rather sharp butterknife, exitium. perhaps i'll let you play in my green kingdom before anyone else.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Fallout 3 will never be made.....

Happiness is in the small things, like this luuuurvely thread. Keep on feeding the troll, it has got quite some entertainment value!

Spazmo

Erudite
Fuck off, Ray, what you know about game design amounts roughly to three canceled jokes. Furthermore, just because indie games don't have 5,000 textures and 800 3D models doesn't not make them games. Don't tell me Geneforge doesn't count as a game because 20ish people didn't spent a year and a half writing it.

Raymondo

Liturgist
Spazmo said:
Fuck off, Ray, what you know about game design amounts roughly to three canceled jokes. Furthermore, just because indie games don't have 5,000 textures and 800 3D models doesn't not make them games. Don't tell me Geneforge doesn't count as a game because 20ish people didn't spent a year and a half writing it.

WTF are you talking about Spaz. You totally missed the point and furthermore the question in hand. The examples weren’t the point I was trying to make, the point I was making was that games are complex to make and aren’t made in a few months. They can take years and with independent projects having less time, experience and money it’s no wonder they go vapourware.

Oh yeah and get your facts right first. I only ever cancelled one game due to lack of time and motivation.

Spazmo

Erudite
And skill and talent and resources and a fucking clue. ANYWAYS!

How do indie games have less time? I would say that not having the deadline that commercial games usually have actually gives them more time to make the game. Lack of money is only an issue if you absolutely insist upon licensing the hottest and newest engine. Lack of experience is a stupid argument because it's a vicious circle: if they don't have any experience and thus can't make any games, how can they get any experience?

mr. lamat

Liturgist
that just goes to prove that you're a failure raydundo. always failing, never being able to bring anything of substance to the table... perhaps this is where these suicide fantasies you have stem from?

Raymondo

Liturgist
How do indie games have less time?

Because most people have jobs, collage or school maybe even both.

Lack of money is only an issue if you absolutely insist upon licensing the hottest and newest engine.

For software, programmers need compilers. Sure there are a few good free ones out but the best are commercial. I do admit however it was a weak point.

Lack of experience is a stupid argument because it's a vicious circle: if they don't have any experience and thus can't make any games, how can they get any experience?

Because if you don’t have experience or have the skills to make a good game you get flamed while trying to promote your game, which lowers morale and is properly the result of some projects not getting finished?

The internet can be a cruel place for newbie independent game developers. Wouldn’t you say spaz? :wink:

EDITED:

mr. lamat said:
that just goes to prove that you're a failure raydundo. always failing, never being able to bring anything of substance to the table... perhaps this is where these suicide fantasies you have stem from?

And what do you being? Lame ass arguments, no point, stupidity, flaming people better then you, etc.

Spazmo

Erudite
Well, Ray, when you're you, sure you get lots of shit because you give even less. Smart developers work on their games quietly without attracting any attention and only reveal them when enough work has been done that they'll have something substantial to show like screens or a FAQ that's reasonably accurate or something.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom