Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Trine 3 - uh oh, they fucked it up

tormund

Arcane
That video achieved its goal. That EG article that reported on it talks about "short length and cliffhanger ending" as if those were the only issues with the game, and first and best rated user comment on EG is as follows:
Jesus, people are getting to be so entitled based on what they think the value of fifteen bucks is. Out of control. I can't believe such a decent developer has to fall on their sword like this in response.

I honestly wonder about the number of people that would play 10 or more hours of Trine 3 as it is.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Hey, Shadowgrounds was kick-ass.

Interestingly though, a kinda similar thing happened with Shadowgrounds: Survivors where they added PHYSICS gimmicks, multiple protagonists and RPG features but the levels themselves were kind of boring + too easy. But they don't seem to have gotten much flack for that. Of course, they were a lot less famous back then.
That's true. Although I still enjoyed Shadowgrounds Survivor. Of course I probably paid the equivalent of $0.25 for it. They should take a break from puzzle platformers. I'm sure a Shadowgrounds 3 or whatever would be a lot cheaper to produce.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-11-05-trine-3-gets-new-free-stage-and-50-per-cent-off-sale

Trine 3: The Artifacts of Power has received a new content update adding an all new level and support for Linux and SteamOS.

The new stage, Quest for Cake, sets our heroes in search of a delicious treat. Hopefully it's not a lie.

The update also tweaks a few minor issues, like adding mid-level checkpoints to the Lost Page stages and fixing the Wizard's box exploit.

"This is a free update that we felt inclined to do for our fans," said Frozenbyte CEO Lauri Hyvärinen. "We would love to continue with the Trine series and this is our first tentative step in that direction, hopefully the first of many."

To commemorate this new content, Trine 3 will be 50 per cent off this weekend on Steam, GOG and Humble Store, placing it at £7.99 rather than its usual £15.99.

The new content and sale are no doubt a response to fan backlash over the game's short length, which recently put the future of the series in jeopardy.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
The series should have no future. The first was a charming game with nice visuals and an excellent soundtrack. The second added a bit more but was nothing amazing. A third installment of more of the same wasn't needed. These guys need to branch out into other things. Hell, a new Shadowgrounds would be a welcome alternative.

DemonKing

Arcane
A third installment of more of the same wasn't needed.
Except the third wasn't really "more of the same" given they neutered two of the three classes and went 3d for no good reason especially since they couldn't actually afford to finish the game in their new engine because it became too expensive.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Bought this for 2 dollars by completing my "bundle" on Steam (the game is on sale right now). Worth?

Well, compared to the other two parts this one is way too easy and feels short. I have taken the route of grabbing all the artifacts through each level, but to add insult to injury they are easy to find too. The graphics are gorgeous as always, plus the music adds the fairy tale charm to it. But after two days of laid back playing it, it was over. All achievements unlocked, nothing more to do. I would say you will not regret thos 2 bucks, but the series deserved a better conclusion without a 3d fluff that killed the difficulty gap.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom