Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Trigger the codex with a statement.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Last edited:

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
How the fuck is it that you claim to be old enough to have played classics like Daggerfall and Fallout 2, and have apparently frequented No Mutants Allowed, but you've still not managed to work out how to fucking quote people on a regular-ass forum?

We're talking about a little boy who came of age playing Oblivion and Oblivion with Guns (I read and probably participated in the NMA thread where he started this, to my immense regret). He seems to have spent very little time actually playing Fallout 2 and lots of time reading the Fallout 2 wiki. I don't know why anyone would do that. It''s just a kid pretending to be way more monocled than he really is. But like most Bethestards, he's no good at role playing. He only went to NMA when people basically laughed him off the Steam forum. They told him to come here because they have a sense of humor.

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
This has become the 'Make reasonable statements the Codex can discuss without someone getting hurt' thread.

Oct. 9 2017 - Swen Vincke officially cucks the Codex...

"You may have a very vocal minority... were represented by, say, a couple of developers inside your company, you may wind up going in the completely wrong direction."

Also worth noting, the Codex raised significant shekels for a D:OS2 fundraiser. Which begs the question, if the Codex out raised the Watch for a company/man that ultimately cucks them in favor of the drooling majority - did the Watch also cuck the Codex?

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
This is not so much trigger as it is funny, but whatever. And yeah, the guy was autist enough to make every sentence a separate paragraph.

Random redditor said:
You see, this is where things start to get messy.

Define a "good roleplaying game".

You'll get a unique answer from everyone you ask.

FO4 IS a good roleplaying game.

You play a role. You have stats, you gain XP, you level. You have quests that have multiple paths, and you have a direct affect on them.

So why is this not a "good roleplaying game"?

Now, I pretty much fear the age-old tropes are going to get trotted out - please, spare me the copy and paste from RPGCodex!

I've been playing roleplaying games since 79.

Christmas, 79. My sister had leave from the air force. Took me shopping for my x-mas present in a bookstore (I was a heavy fantasy, sci-fi and western reader back then).

My eye caught a glance at the cover of the D&D basic boxed set - 1st edition.

The rest, as they say, is history.

From there - I won't bore anyone with the details. If it was a roleplaying game, I've played it, or heard of it. From TSR, Chaosium, Steve Jackson Games, to I.C.E Rolemaster, and back again.

Villains & Vigilantes. The World of Synnabar. Tunnels&Trolls (I'm looking at YOU, Apple Lane!). Traveller (loved that fucking game TO DEATH!) Paranoia (went to GenCon as a 1st level Troubleshooter). I've met Gary G. Gygax in person and I've been DMed by Greenwood.

Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (GDW rocks!). Rogue Trader.

The list goes on.

I remember when fucking Wasteland FIRST CAME OUT!

Hell, we were playing ASCI adventure before that on a TSR-80!

I get so FUCKING tired of these so-called elite drama queens trying to preach what is "A FUCKING GOOD ROLEPLAYING GAME!"

I'll tell YOU what a good roleplaying game is. One where you get to play a role and you have fun doing it.

And I don't give a fuck what game it is, or what role, or who the fuck made it!

You played a role AND HAD FUN! That is what it is all about. That is the spirit, the gist of it all. To.Have.Fun.

Some roles and games were memorable. Others forgettable. Some quirky, others rigid. Whatever. What was fun, was good.

Was Boot Hill a good roleplaying game? It depended on who one was playing with, and who was the GM. I played games that kept us captivated all weekend long! Others were Monty Haul, phat lootz kill-the-bandits forgettable sessions.

What mattered then, was was it fun? Did I have fun playing? I hold that that is still valid to this day.

They hold Planescape:Torment to be the Roleplaying Masterpiece of all Time.

I fucking HATED Planescape!

Yes, it is well written, the storyline is genius. All valid points, certainly.

But it wasn't fun.

Balder's Gate was fun. BG:SoA was fun.

Hell, the gold boxes were fun!

I've personally lost count and recollection of all the CRPGs I've played down the years. Might&Magic, and all those.

Ultima! Oh gods yes, I played them to death!

Neverwinter Nights. I still play it. Because of NWN, I got into modding and creating Persistent Worlds, and online group PnP sessions. As well as DMing on a persistent world as well as hosting a server.

As NWN2 came out, we FUCKING HATED IT! It split our Community and it never recovered. I learned to despise Obs fanatics back then. They thought they had a stranglehold on "wut was a gud roleplaying game" then and still do. The "l33t" of Gamers.

So I am no stranger to the fanboi syndrome (I've since recovered and would like to think I am cured).

Fanatism is harmful. It blinds. It's like looking at your reflection in the mirror. You know the mirror reflects back the *absolute truth", but because of how our brain works, we can only see what we want to see. What we wish to see.

We warp and twist the truth to fit our expectations. I think one of the hardest things in life to achieve (if at all possible) is to actually see only that which the mirror reflects, uncolored and unbiased.

And that brings us full circle, doesn't it.

Can we look at Fallout 4 like this?

I try.

One thing I do know - FO4 is a roleplaying game, and it is fun.

That makes it a good roleplaying game in my book.

League of Legends is a tactical RPG dream game with unparelled depth of mechanics on par with seminal open ended tactics game Star Trek: Away Team.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom