Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Trigger the codex with a statement.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Whitethistle, whitethistle, all in a row, in Neverwinter Woods they all grow.

That is certainly one for the connoisseurs among us.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Punishing the player for decisions they did not make is terrible one hundred percent of the time no matter what. No matter how much contempt you feel for "casuals". No matter how much you sneer at everyone who isn't yourself. It's unforgivably terrible design.

Companion permadeath is absolutely without value. It adds literally nothing but frustration. Because all it makes the player do is save more often and reload their save. It is worthless. Absolutely, utterly, categorically worthless. It has no worth. It has no value.

Characters with gameplay-unique properties or unique story content should never, ever, ever be taken away from the player at random. Taking away an ally because of their AI scripting, outside the player's control, is taking them away at random.

This is true no matter how contemptuous you feel.

It is hard to give a damn about companions when they constantly make me reload my game and constantly make me babysit their suicidal AI so that I can make progress without reloading.

Fuck your masturbatory, worthless conception of "Realism". Video games aren't realistic. There aren't a finite single-digit number of people in the real world who will be your friend. There isn't a finite number of paths through any given encounter. You aren't locked onto a single life path by virtue of the fact that if you don't do that, you aren't playing the video game you paid good money for. Stop acting like making video games more obtuse and user-hostile makes them more "realistic". You're not making anything more realistic. The world of a video game is already, unavoidably distorted, and to ignore how those distortions affect the game makes it more unrealistic, not less.

These are the people that Bethesda caters to.

Last edited:

Erikolaz

Educated
The fact that numerous people here think that PS:T is a good game is beyond me. It's an objectively incorrect opinion:

Capture.jpg

Bethesda always showed us what is means to have good rpg games and we as rpg codexian(s) should encourage them by pre-ordering their titles even before they come out.

kalganoat

Savant
life is strange is the best story driven game of this generation. I cried and kept thinking about it for weeks.

Ocelot

Learned
Mount and Blade Warband is an empty overrated action game but at least you can play as a female warrior.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

Mount and Blade Warband is an empty overrated action game but at least you can play as a female warrior.

Warband is really fun for a lot of reason also mods for it are amazing. I enjoy it immensely beside the flaws and i think the game is great considering was at the time developed by a small team.
Overrated? Maybe.
But to me they did amazingly better than any of the other games that attempted to copy it.

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
Displaying benevolence and goodwill is a thousand times more effective in promoting rpg incline than rabidly rambling about how everything in the industry is shit in a way or another.
Casuals and trannies have the ear of video game developers because they're simply easier to listen to. We're left to lie to ourselves about how the genre is better off without mass appeal, and turning into an elitist bunch of cunts.
RPGCodex is the first agent of decline.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
Josh Sawyer should take over all video game balancing in existence.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom