Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Trigger the codex with a statement.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Do you like Fallout? Their earlier games were a little too boring for my tastes, but when Fallout 3 came out in 2008, I think the franchise really came into its own, commercially and artistically. The entire game has an engrossing, gritty atmosphere, and a new sheen of consummate first person perspective that really gives the gameplay a big boost. It's been compared to Oblivion, but I think Fallout 3 has a far more dark, hilarious sense of humour.

In 2015, Bethesda released this, Fallout 4, their most accomplished RPG. I think our undisputed masterpiece is Kid in a Fridge, a quest so silly, most people probably don't pay attention to the themes. But they should, because it's not just about the joy of kindness, and the importance of family, it's also a personal statement about the game itself!

HEY TIM!

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I would patch it so your computer grows a fist and then punches you in the dick every time you start to go "HURF DURF SHOULDA BEEN OBSIDIAN" or "HURF DURF ANYTHING WITH COMPREHENSIBLE AND FUNCTIONAL MECHANICS IS A BAD RPG" or "HURF DURF I CAN'T UNDERSTAND WRITING WITH ANY SUBTLETY AT ALL AND THEN SAY IT'S BAD FOR NOT HAVING SUBTLETY".

I would patch Fallout 4 so it becomes a robot that travels back in time to erase No Mutants Allowed from existence. The cancer is inoperable now. The damage will never be undone. We cannot improve the series if we cannot get rid of the thing that literally and not figuratively makes the fandom not capable of seeing improvement. And we cannot get rid of it. All is lost.

I'm not so much as triggered as I am baffled.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I would say that it was the guy you quoted that was heavily triggered. People committed the crime of not agreeing with him.

Oh yeah, definitely. I wasn't the one who triggered him, though, but apparently it is as easy as calmly pointing out each flaw in Fallout 4.

My favorite part is this, definitely:

I CAN'T UNDERSTAND WRITING WITH ANY SUBTLETY AT ALL AND THEN SAY IT'S BAD FOR NOT HAVING SUBTLETY

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
No, [Fallout 4] had a very effective and well-made story. The sentence-to-sentence quality was lower than in New Vegas, but it was way better at actually doing what it was doing. It specifically fixes a LOT of the problems the story of New Vegas had in particular, its inability to show instead of tell, its paper-thin antagonist, and its total lack of emotion.

It just wasn't specifically made to give NMA-types a handjob for how smart they are, so they say it's obviously terrible. New Vegas namechecks more complicated things that you can feel smarter about "getting" -- it doesn't do anything with those concepts, but it namechecks them real good. Since it tells instead of showing and since the whole story is devoid of emotions, all of your engagement with the story is taking place in the same part of your brain, which a certain type of person feel really smart.

I'm not going to say this as an insult, because it isn't: the story of New Vegas is much better if you are autistic. You don't have to deal with anything except what is explicitly told to you to understand the story. You don't have to ever wonder about feelings, you don't ever have to piece together something from context, your entire understanding of the world comes from dialogue telling you "this is how you should understand the world."

And, like, there's nothing inherently wrong with that. Autistic people deserve to have some things they can get without having to rely on things their brains are bad at, just like there should be color-blind menu UIs, turn-based games for people with really bad reaction times, and button-mashing action games for people who don't like or have the ability to plan ahead.

But these guys aren't saying that. They're not saying "It was nice to have a game that was made for people like me to be able to appreciate, when most things that have a story are pretty much painting in colors I can't see." I could respect that argument. They're saying "Because this isn't the same thing, it is obviously inferior and bad and stupid and everyone who liked it is inferior and bad and stupid and everyone who made it is inferior and bad and stupid."

You can't make this shit up.

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
No, [Fallout 4] had a very effective and well-made story. The sentence-to-sentence quality was lower than in New Vegas, but it was way better at actually doing what it was doing. It specifically fixes a LOT of the problems the story of New Vegas had in particular, its inability to show instead of tell, its paper-thin antagonist, and its total lack of emotion.

It just wasn't specifically made to give NMA-types a handjob for how smart they are, so they say it's obviously terrible. New Vegas namechecks more complicated things that you can feel smarter about "getting" -- it doesn't do anything with those concepts, but it namechecks them real good. Since it tells instead of showing and since the whole story is devoid of emotions, all of your engagement with the story is taking place in the same part of your brain, which a certain type of person feel really smart.

I'm not going to say this as an insult, because it isn't: the story of New Vegas is much better if you are autistic. You don't have to deal with anything except what is explicitly told to you to understand the story. You don't have to ever wonder about feelings, you don't ever have to piece together something from context, your entire understanding of the world comes from dialogue telling you "this is how you should understand the world."

And, like, there's nothing inherently wrong with that. Autistic people deserve to have some things they can get without having to rely on things their brains are bad at, just like there should be color-blind menu UIs, turn-based games for people with really bad reaction times, and button-mashing action games for people who don't like or have the ability to plan ahead.

But these guys aren't saying that. They're not saying "It was nice to have a game that was made for people like me to be able to appreciate, when most things that have a story are pretty much painting in colors I can't see." I could respect that argument. They're saying "Because this isn't the same thing, it is obviously inferior and bad and stupid and everyone who liked it is inferior and bad and stupid and everyone who made it is inferior and bad and stupid."

You can't make this shit up.
Wha-

bataille

Arcane
I wear make-up when I play Skyrim. It's the only game that I bestow this honour upon.

CrawlingDead

Learned
Do you like Fallout? Their earlier games were a little too boring for my tastes, but when Fallout 3 came out in 2008, I think the franchise really came into its own, commercially and artistically. The entire game has an engrossing, gritty atmosphere, and a new sheen of consummate first person perspective that really gives the gameplay a big boost. It's been compared to Oblivion, but I think Fallout 3 has a far more dark, hilarious sense of humour.

In 2015, Bethesda released this, Fallout 4, their most accomplished RPG. I think our undisputed masterpiece is Kid in a Fridge, a quest so silly, most people probably don't pay attention to the themes. But they should, because it's not just about the joy of kindness, and the importance of family, it's also a personal statement about the game itself!

HEY TIM!
You spelled humor wrong, dumbass.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Fresh from Reddit:

"What are your undisputed top three most memorable moments from Fallout 3?"
https://www.reddit.com/r/Fallout/comments/5v7uoi/what_are_your_undisputed_top_three_most_memorable/
Stealing Independence. This is easily one of the most "Fallout" quests in the game. You team up with a cool treasure hunter to fight off waves of super mutants and then a robot army in order to steal the damn Declaration of Independence from their delusional leader who thinks he's in the American Revolution. Plus there are several ways to go about it. What's not to love?

GelGel

Educated
Skyrim is a walking simulator.

Every RPG containing a word "dragon" in it's main title is just plain bad.

Lostpleb

Learned
Skyrim is a walking simulator.
Aren't we supposed to trigger the codex, not shill for it? :P

Every RPG containing a word "dragon" in it's main title is just plain bad.
They do tend to be popamole-ish, but Dragon Quest was one of the main templates for Chrono Trigger. The director, Takashi Tokita, has gone so far as to say that Dragon Quest 2 was the game that inspired him the most.

Square might as well have named the game "Dragon Trigger", "Chrono Dragon" or even "Dragon Dragon".

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
So, I broke a Bethestard:

Bethestard said:
The conflict in FO4 is driven by ideology and emotions. The conflict in FNV is driven by nonsense.

Yours Truly said:
Bethestard said:
The conflict in FNV is driven by ideology and emotions. The conflict in FO4 is driven by nonsense.

Finally we agree. The first part of FNV is driven by emotions: revenge. The second part of FNV is driven by ideology: who should rule the wasteland, and why? And each of those factions have a belief system based on some Old World political structure, all of which have failed for some reason or another, but history repeats itself.

Thank you, come again.

Bethestard said:
This is the single most HURR DURR thing you have ever posted.

You will get loads of emotional rewards for your garbage-tier comeback and fucking smug Simpsons rejoinder. You will never, ever, ever, ever have to think of yourself as anything but an incredibly witty and charming person who is "smacking down" your intellectual inferiors. People will line up to give you intellectual handjobs.

All is lost. All is lost. All is lost. All is lost. All is lost.

Today was a good day.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom