Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tried FFXIII on PC and...

miles teg

Scholar
... it's MUCH better than I was expecting. Why did this game receive so much hate?

It's extremely linear, but so was 10 and it didn't receive as much hate as this. And all the FFs are "linear" in a manner of speaking. The only issue is that this game doesn't make any effort to mask it: locations are literally just corridors that eventually open up on much needed big locations, and then back in another corridor again.

I'm in Ch 7. and story wise, there isn't much happening, but there is a lot of focus on character development here, that I hadn't seen in a while in the series. It's a bit too packed of cut scenes, yes, but they are needed to make you forget you are moving from corridor #244 to corridor #245 and overall I find myself craving for new characters interaction. Also, haircuts are not all emo's.

The combat system was a bit confusing at the beginning, but it doesn't take much to get the hang of it and it's actually pretty dynamic, in a good way. Some enemies are just boring HP sponges, but overall the combat system is surprising well designed, I think. I hate that I can't choose the party leader, since some classes, like Sentinel and Medic really suck on a main (forcing me to cast the boring Cure while the commando AI takes all the fun? come on...) but I can tollerate this.

Not getting bored, and for 7 bucks I'm more that satisfied.

tl;dr People just grow up and understand that FF is not just FFVII. There is life before and after that. (before is better, though, FFVI quality is still unmatched IMHO, but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy this game).

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
How's the performance? I had a problem with the game periodically dropping to sub-30fps despite running at a silky smooth 60fps the rest of the time. Some kind of bottleneck going on there. Dunno if it was ever patched.

The soundtrack is excellent.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Because edgelords gonna edge. It's not the worst game ever, just like Pillars of Eternity isn't the worst game ever.

That said, xiii does have 2 of the most annoying characters in vidyagame history: Snow and Vanille.

Also the real game only starts in chapter 10 or 11 or something. Everything before that is a tutorial/intro. Yes. Really. It even says so in the game.

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
You'll be able to change party formation entirely in the later part of the game. You'll also unlock all roles for every character, though they still have some specificities that make them each better at some roles than at some others.

Nothing happens in the story because of 2 things :
- Most of the story already happened, and therefore the whole game until chapter 10 or something is just discovering what happened, why etc (which isn't even that clear or interesting to begin with).
- The narration is completely fucked. Most of the exposition has been put in an encyclopedic thingie instead of the actual events and shit. Why not, but since there's no story to tell between the heroes becoming enslaved and the endgame, you get nonsensical random shit over and over. Which is due to the game being a Final Fantasy, and therefore people expecting cutscenes and shit. It's quite difficult to make cutscenes that don't tell anything but that's exactly what they achieved here.

The game is pretty meh. It received hate because of the combination of what I wrote above and the lack of JRPG staples (shops, towns/hubs etc etc). I suspect the linearity of character progression is another big factor. I guess people liked the illusion provided by FF10 or something.

Ash

Arcane

It's a piece of shit and ya'll decline enablers.

It's extremely linear, but so was 10 and it didn't receive as much hate as this. And all the FFs are "linear" in a manner of speaking. The only issue is that this game doesn't make any effort to mask it: locations are literally just corridors that eventually open up on much needed big locations, and then back in another corridor again.

:retarded:

Last edited:

newtmonkey

Arcane
With the exception of obviously broken or unfinished stuff, this is one of the worst games into which I have ever seriously put any time.

1) The combat is braindead. I gave up 12-15 hours in, because every battle seemed to be the same thing. Even compared with other Japanese RPGs—even compared with RECENT Japanese RPGs—it is completely boring.

2) The story is nonsense. The game was literally created by having bunch of artists draw characters, monsters, and backgrounds for years, and then putting it all together somehow at the very last minute—and it shows. This is why 99% of the actual story of the game is presented in text form from a menu.

The game is also completely disjointed. You run through a corridor and enter a room, and suddenly your two characters chat about something totally random while not looking at each other. Then you run though another corridor, enter another room, and they continue their conversation, or maybe you switch to two other characters and repeat the whole thing all over again. Why didn't they finish their conversation in the last room?

3) They threw the baby out with the bathwater. The designers at Square could not understand why towns, or an overworld, or NPCs, or exploration, or challenging combat, or interesting character development/builds, or finding cool equipment in out of the way places work, or how it all fits together, so they just got rid of EVERYTHING.

It seemed the entire time that the game was created under the bizarre concept of making you suffer through the awful corridors and combat, to be "rewarded" with cinemas of "cool" character designs talking at one another. It seemed surreal to me.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
ter. The designers at Square could not understand why towns, or an overworld, or NPCs, or exploration, or challenging combat, or interesting character development/builds, or finding cool equipment in out of the way places work, or how it all fits together, so they just got rid of EVERYTHING.

Not on purpose. The chaotic development made them unable to have towns and things like that in the game. It was originally more open ended.

FFXIII-2 is made of things mostly left on the cutting floor of FFXIII and it is apparently (I haven't played it) a much less linear game.

newtmonkey

Arcane
taxalot
Didn't they claim at one point that towns were "impossible" in a AAA game? I could have sworn I read that somewhere.

I did play FFXIII-2 (though not to completion), and it is a lot better. It probably is what FFXIII should have been, as it has got somewhat open areas, NPCs, actual choices you can make, enemies that can kill you, etc.

Max Stats

Liturgist
I did play FFXIII-2 (though not to completion), and it is a lot better. It probably is what FFXIII should have been, as it has got somewhat open areas, NPCs, actual choices you can make, enemies that can kill you, etc.

Lightning Returns seemed better still with what little I played of those two compared to Final Corridor proper.

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
I tried to give this game a chance and played for several hours but the boredom overcame me.

There are just so many trash fights. And cutscenes summon cringe en masse. And there's no challenge. And everything takes so long. After several hours of playing I walk and walk through this ice zone and it's fight after fight. I lost one because I didn't pay any attention because I didn't care - wasn't a boss or anythin, I just used to click autoplay and didn't notice I'm dying and should switch people to support role. At that point I've asked myself why don't I play anything else and switched.

I played FF9 recently and could compare it. In FF9 you had a lot of little side objectives. You have many optional stuff hidden. In fights you can steal stuff which is high risk/high reward playstyle. You can spend some time to grind to get abilities from your items - but most of the time you aren't really encountering that many enemies if you go straight to the objective.

Deflowerer

Arcane
Putting it like this:

Despite all the hate Codex pile on it, there's significant number among us playing Skyrim and it score high place in top 75.

With FF13, people just ignore it.

That's how bad it is.

Well, there's a bias towards WRPGs here anyway, so that's not saying much.

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
Despite all the hate Codex pile on it, there's significant number among us playing Skyrim and it score high place in top 75.

I think most of people who do not like Skyrim say something like "it's not a real RPG" or "it's full of missed opportunities" but you wouldn't say it's a bad game on its own. FF13 may be hated as poor Final Fantasy game (no XP gain or any control over your party for first several hours is a hard sell) but for most people it's a long bland corridor in a very bizzare world where nothing makes sense and you have to go read included encyclopedia to understand what happens - and unlike some games where the story is supposed to be mysterious (like Dark Souls) the game spends hours showing you cutscenes where people throw fancy terms around either not explaining shit or repeating the same explanations over and over again: (FAL'CIE ARE ENEMIES OF CUCKOON is engraved into my ears even though I've only played the game for several hours.

laclongquan

Arcane
Wrrrrrrrrong!

When we put the hate on Skyrim we mostly do it because of the stunted gameplay compared to Morrowind. We dont say it full of missed opportunities but "dumbdown gameplay".

Get your shits straight~

(DarkUnderlord please gimme access to Trump icons so I can put an icon there to put their eyes out, pretty please.)

Ash

Arcane
I think most of people who do not like Skyrim say something like "it's not a real RPG" or "it's full of missed opportunities" but you wouldn't say it's a bad game on its own.

Pains me to say it but no it's not a complete dumpster fire, though I'd still say it's somewhat bad. It's easy, streamlined, bland, but it still has some merit. It still has gameplay ffs, even if said gameplay isn't very good. I'd rate it 5/10, maybe 6 if being generous. FF13 otoh is complete dogshit.

Quoting a Jon Tron video unironically.

Never seen any of his content aside from that one vid. Don't give a crap who he is or what he did, only that the video is a perfect summary, all you need to know about Not-Final Butchery 13: If you give a single shit about gameplay or general quality there's nothing for you here.

Last edited:

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
Wrrrrrrrrong!

When we put the hate on Skyrim we mostly do it because of the stunted gameplay compared to Morrowind. We dont say it full of missed opportunities but "dumbdown gameplay".

But that's exactly what I mean. It's a missed opportunity of not being a Morrowind but even better. You don't complain about Borderlands being dumbed down, for example, even though it's less complex than Fallout 4 and similar to it. You can still see in Skyrim a framework for a best game ever and it's far from that beautiful vision.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
The game is not that bad man, it's good to laugh at the story and the boss battles can be challenging. Besides there's no point in hating it, unlike Beth and Bio where they got super popular by making shitty games and raping the genre, FF is already popular before this thing even planned and everyone in this world agree that FFXIII sucks and the dev decided to throw away XIII's formula.

Ash

Arcane
Just no. Bethesda already had garnered decent popularity with Morrowind. "By August 2005, the game had surpassed 4 million copies sold.". That's a shitton and on par with or more than all but the most popular FF games.

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
Yeah, I was surprised to see a few years back many people said FF10 was their favourite and talked about it as a "last classic FF" or something. I clearly remember that before FF13 the consensus was that FF10 is shit and even 8 and 9 are not that good. And nobody remembers 12.

Max Stats

Liturgist
I clearly remember that before FF13 the consensus was that FF10 is shit and even 8 and 9 are not that good

I thought 9 was the one everyone loved because it has black mages and other throwback bait all over it, after a couple games that didn't feel like classic FF.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom