Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Travels Through the Arena: A TES I LP

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
As soon as possible, probably by the 12th, I will begin playing through TES I: Arena. I'm going to be a high elf sorceror or battlemage as those are, in my opinion, the best classes to play

Last edited:

Wayward Son

today is 12th
I had to go to school today. Just got home.
The Adventures of Wayward the Elf EP:1
Meet the Her
o
3pX2Ppd.png

And we see the first screen of the first game of the first RPG series I played on my first pc.
OthesSj.png

dQQpaEX.png

:shock: No one, and I mean no one would have expected this.
ht3EvGc.png

0yW3pcr.png

kgV0HA0.png

:Shock: Double betrayal. Oh the horrors...
GhmeJI.png

Oh noes!!
F6T5CeX.png

Daedroth! So, he's a Daedra, right? (Listens to someone in the room) No? Nothing that epic? Just a battlemage? Seriously, Bethie, seriously, you've changed bro...
vrI5ViU.png

Why did he make them naked? I mean, he has enough power to shapeshift daedroth into humans, so obviously he'd have that kind of power. Or, maybe... hmm, kinky. Anyway, forward my komrades.
vyTaVJw.png

And here we go with the in-depth character creation and development that the series will be famous for. Naturally, I hit select because I really don't want to go through that damn quiz again (for the umpteenth time)
fpKvzUf.png

This is only part of the class list and each of the classes has a unique spin to it. Fo those of you who never played Arena as a sorcerer, they can use up to chain, all weapons, have 3x INT boost to mana and absorb enemy spells. The only real downsides are lack of crit strike (perfectly worth the magics in this game) and lack of rest based mana regen. This will make the first dungeon actually somewhat more difficult than if I was say battlemage as I will start out at zero SP and have to rely on lootz for damage until I reach the first city, where I can buy Restore Power (mana) Potions.
vqdeg7S.png

As on the codex, so in-game. Most people will only call me Wayward, however.
b9EsgR5.png

Caught this as it was fading.
jYNUbH2.png

Of course I'm gonna play high elf, the only race with a noticeable benefit, the immunity to paralysis. This nullifies the threat of an entire group of enemies. They nerfed these guys in the later games. Leik, srsly, Beth, HI Lf OP, plz nrf.
mh63i58.png

First reference to the in-game Elder Scrolls. We still don't see one for dour whole games, though.
AdEXiUb.png

Didn't even have to re-roll guys, this is seriously the best roll I've ever gotten on Arena.
UZMg6gx.png

This is our final version of the character sheet.
gT8c5S6.png

Here's Tharn's apprentice he betrayed. Now, in death she betrays him! Double Betrayal!!!!1!!!!! :shock:
She babbles on and on about stopping the evil mage, yada yada yada. Basically, key in cell, head west, south, west until I find shift gate.

Postword: How'd ya guys like the first update? Next time, I escape the prison and possibly start Stonekeep.
If you want me to change res, you'll have to tell how to do that from imgur.
Give me your feedback and I'll try to improve upon this LP.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
:hero:

May I offer a suggestion? The images are too small for me to see anything without straining my eyes. Do you know of any good converters that can extend 320x200 images to 640x400?

I use FastStone Image Viewer, but I am sure there are better alternatives available. Either that, or maybe use an ingame normal2x/normal3x filter or something to enlarge them.

Imgur can do that too (check the Edit button when uploading the image), but I don't know if it can do that en masse.
Old one:
gT8c5S6.png

New one:
msP28Wq.png

Also, this screen is missing:
:Shock: Double betrayal. Oh the horrors...
GhmeJI.png

Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Finally some classic stuff.
Size is minor inconvenience, hope it improve in later updates.
Will read.

And "scripted story" have new meaning now tsk

Wayward Son

:hero:

May I offer a suggestion? The images are too small for me to see anything without straining my eyes. Do you know of any good converters that can extend 320x200 images to 640x400?

I use FastStone Image Viewer, but I am sure there are better alternatives available. Either that, or maybe use an ingame normal2x/normal3x filter or something to enlarge them.

Imgur can do that too (check the Edit button when uploading the image), but I don't know if it can do that en masse.
Old one:
gT8c5S6.png

New one:
msP28Wq.png

Also, this screen is missing:
Thanks and I couldn't get the image URL to work no matter what I did.
Next episode should be up by Saturday night.
I'll try to get the res up for the next episode. What res would you recommend?

Wayward Son

Okay. Thanks Nevill. Like I said, you can expect another episode by tonight or tomorrow night.

Wayward Son

The Adventures of Wayward the Elf EP2:
Escape From Oblivion's Beginning
KQB69n1.png

And here we wake up in... a prison cell connected to a sewer... Not only is that unsanitary, but Oblibion made a bad first impression of Imperial Sewer prison cells.
1f3orts.png
Where in Oblivion am I?
You're not. You're in Arena. A better world... A better game...
hDhmJyd.png

The key was magically telported into our cell by Ria. If she can do that, why doesn't she also teleport a full set of uber-enchanted ebony shit?
xv8U20X.png

The first loot pile! I preparatorily save so as to abuse the RNG loot system by save scumming to get better stuff and...
ietObkM.png

This is probably the best loots I've looted out of this since the time I got a half suit of ebony as my first Knight class character.
aTJVR0n.png

Our first enemy slain like the little fanboy, erm goblin he is!
04ukymj.png

After a couple of loot piles, this is our haul, an ebony bracelet and war axe.
LvFYwvE.png

Our first level! I put the points into WIL and AGI this time
1f3orts.png
I am now stronger than ever before!!!
Calm down man. You're only LVL 2
SdBlB1v.png

Here's the Shift Gate Ria mentioned. Time to get outta here
1f3orts.png
I concur. Time for revenge! Death to non-Elves!
Calm down man, Jesus.
1f3orts.png
I am your Jesus.
Anyway, we continue on...
2LSIUkr.png

... and face the worst monster in the game, the dreaded, the horrible DRM!!!!!1!!
1f3orts.png
Back foul beast! Take the power of my magic 300!!!
mCYNiwOJSPQPazXasSD1WgQ.jpg
You called?
Screw you, Leonidas, we meant this 300
T0Sw0Lm.png

Ha2oLW3.png

We seem to be transportalponded to a random city in Summurset.
1f3orts.png
Ah finally home with all these mostly useless, no face, generic NPC's. Still better than Oblivion.
You said it man. So anyway, I already know where to go for the first quest from previous experience. So.....
GI2acwe.png

We head straight to the location where we learn the location of a dungeon where we learn the location of the dungeon where the first piece resides.
1f3orts.png
What's with all these ni-
Whoa, man! None o' that!
1f3orts.png
What? I was just gonna say nice guys.
N- nevermind. We march forward along the walls to find the castle. We also stop at some shops and the local Mages' Guild to get decked out, but realize we are as poor as the second we woke up. However, we've got some decent starting equipment and so recklessly charge for'ard to find the castle Rihad.
c16zFux.png

We find the castle and go to get an audience with Queen Big Blumbas.
TcmSJw2.png

RiaMfkm.png

We agree to her requests.
1f3orts.png
I shall slay the dark Golthog and-
Whoa, whoa whoa, don't get ahead of yourself. Golthog doesn't even exist.
1f3orts.png
REALLY? No glory for me? I will slay whoever lives in that place in the name of their lies and deceits!!!!1!!!!
That's the spirit
On the Next Episode of Dragon Ball- erm, I mean Adventures of Wayward the Elf:
We grind a bit in Stonekeep for XP and money and then conquer the Stonekeep.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Still no luck with bigger picture size? What do you use to take screenshots, anyway? Are you running the game in DOSBox?

If all else fails, FastStone Image Viewer has the option of mass modifying files, though it would work better if the game settings/screenshotting tool take care of that from the get go.

Wayward Son

I do run and screenshot in dosbox. I doubled the res on all pics except the ones showing my character's face because those are to show when the character himself is talking. Should I double again?

Wayward Son

I see my mistake. The option to increase res on upload got unchecked and I thought it was checked. Would 640x480 be sufficient?

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Download FastStone Photo Resizer
Here is something for massive image convertion with few clicks.
Really helped me with Deus Ex Revision screenshots, (3GB of BMP files turned into 100MB of JPG), which solve the issues, where you're ready to write update and find that your screenshots are tiny.

Lemming42

Arcane
This game is so cool visually, even if you have to burn your retinas out trying to see it in the pics in this LP. Walking around the empty cities at night with that dark foreboding MIDI music playing and the chance to be attacked at random creates an atmosphere of genuine unease that few other games have.

Don't forget to buy the Passwall spell.

Also if you want decent sized screenshots, you could just window DOSBox and printscreen and then upload to imgur. It's kind of a pain in the balls but it'll work.

Wayward Son

Also if you want decent sized screenshots, you could just window DOSBox and printscreen and then upload to imgur. It's kind of a pain in the balls but it'll work.
This is what I do, but they upload at 320x400. Imgur has the mass resize option before you upload, it just got unchecked when I began uploading.

Cassidy

Arcane
It may not be very purist to be playing such a game scaled up to higher resolutions, but you should go to at least 960x600 by using a 3x scale in Dosbox, preferably one that preserves the sharpness of the game instead "anti-aliasing" it.

Nevill

Arcane
So what happened to the LP? :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom