Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Translations of wapanese games

Chateaubryan

Cipher
I think the situation is good for what it is : he is condemned to lurk on the Codex, probably gulping every page of this topic, waiting in frustration for somebody to troll in his stead.

laclongquan

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
There's a guy I suspect is his alt. Same writing style, at least.
We could try this nifty method to grab closet weeaboos

I know who you meant. I accused him out of jest since he's quite similar but then another poster scare him off (ban him again, I suspect).

There's just no other like EV. Wyrmlord is too nice that baiting him is just not satisfying. Andhaira is frankly mindboggling...

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Topdrunkee thy ILLnifique said:
Lunatic Dawn III in particular almost resembles an isometric crpg.
http://lunatic.artdink.co.jp/3rdbook/
I'm not really sure what kind of game it was from what I played though.
It was sandbox like and It had some rogue like qualities to it. (Every single town & dungeon seems to be randomly generated.)
The battle system was similar to Diablo, but that honestly doesn't matter much to me considering how much focus is placed on the exploration in Lunatic Dawn III.

I also thought it was cool how you could pretty much recruit and or kill anybody that you meet in the game. Which made Lunatic Dawn III seem even more similar to a Crpg.
If anything you'll never see Lunatic Dawn III translated into English, because it's actually too Western (complex) for the average console rpg hacker.
It's usually not the type of game that they would translate. (They normally go for linear story based Jrpgs.)

Just in case someone's interested in some screenshots:

screen_2.jpg

screen_3.jpg

A pity I'm too lazy to actually learn Japanese.

Luzur

Good Sir
Captain Rufus said:
Unless you are from the UK or that furry who makes the Sabrina Online comics you probably haven't even HEARD of an Amiga.

I honestly can't fault anyone (except for Commodore who somehow FUCKED UP a computer that was a good 6-10 years ahead of its time and still 1/2 to 1/4th the price of competing PCs and Macs. HOW DO YOU MANAGE THIS?) for not really knowing about the Amiga.

Amiga is actually known by ALOT more people then just Furries or the British (Sinclair Spectrum would be more known to them then Amiga.), it would have sounded better if you had said "Unless you where born 1970-80 or was nerd you probably haven't even HEARD of an Amiga.".

and the Amiga failure was caused by the marketing people not getting the idea of the machine and Irving Gould taking direct control after Thomas Rattigan was ousted for being too good at his job.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I fucking hated Soldner's child, but the rest of those games are actually pretty good.
How the hell did you hear about these games? They're so damn obscure that I'm surprised that there's actually mothafuckas outside of Japan who have actually heard of them before.
It was a link posted on RPGcodex.
http://www.quartertothree.com/game-talk ... stcount=14

While this list is somewhat old, it contains incredible stuff.

It was sandbox like and It had some rogue like qualities to it. (Every single town & dungeon seems to be randomly generated.)
I like sandbox games, Morrowind was great, this looks nice as well.

I honestly don't see the appeal with the Etrian Odyssey games.
They're shitty ass grind fests.
Yes they are. However there are FOE. An unbeatable opponent has strange charm. Poison Pink has also unbeatable opponents, when main characters would be unable to hurt them, they would become bored and move to somewhere more interesting.

laclongquan said:
There's just no other like EV. Wyrmlord is too nice that baiting him is just not satisfying. Andhaira is frankly mindboggling...
He did what he did. When he was warned by mod, he posted additional loads of images. Had he did that on 4chan, he might face lawsuit.

Wyrmlord posted 10000 posts then left. I doubt he would come back under the same name anytime soon.

Luzur said:
Amiga is actually known by ALOT more people then just Furries or the British (Sinclair Spectrum would be more known to them then Amiga.), it would have sounded better if you had said "Unless you where born 1970-80 or was nerd you probably haven't even HEARD of an Amiga.".

and the Amiga failure was caused by the marketing people not getting the idea of the machine and Irving Gould taking direct control after Thomas Rattigan was ousted for being too good at his job.

I've got the first edition of the history book about Commodore. Its pretty depressing towards the midpoint or so.

Brilliant engineers utterly shit marketing and management.

Luzur

Good Sir
Captain Rufus said:
Luzur said:

I've got the first edition of the history book about Commodore. Its pretty depressing towards the midpoint or so.

Brilliant engineers utterly shit marketing and management.

On the Edge? yes i pre-ordered it, dunno if that second book have anything new to add?

felicity

Scholar
I'm not really sure what kind of game it was from what I played though.
The battle system was similar to Diablo, but that honestly doesn't matter much to me considering how much focus is placed on the exploration in Lunatic Dawn III.

I also thought it was cool how you could pretty much recruit and or kill anybody that you meet in the game. Which made Lunatic Dawn III seem even more similar to a Crpg.
If anything you'll never see Lunatic Dawn III translated into English, because it's actually too Western (complex) for the average console rpg hacker.
It's usually not the type of game that they would translate. (They normally go for linear story based Jrpgs.)

Lunatic dawn is great. It's a mixture of mud, roguelike and dungeon crawl. Don't play the 3D diablo version, it sucks. The only version worth playing is Lunatic Dawn - the 3rd book, it's turn base isometric. Lunatic Dawn 2 is better in the exploration aspects but the combat is a goatse RT system.

I like that in LD you actually have to split the spoils between party members. There are a lot of interesting artifacts and events. You can marry in the game and produce offspring. It's useful because your character ages and eventually will die, then your offspring will carry your torch.

The combat system is simple so the game can get repetitive and while there are quite many huge dungeons, they are reused frequently in quests but if you like freeform gameplay, loot and dungeon crawling this game is heaven.

artd07.jpg

artd06.jpg

artd02.jpg

Black Cat

Magister
I am not sure this is not just a rumor so far, but those in the know are telling me there's an english version of Chantelise going around in case someone is interested.

If you do not know what this Chantelise thingie is, think kind of a doujin action jrpg zelda ish thingie about a girl with a big sword,like, thingie and her fairy sister, though if you weren't already salivating about being able to bloody finally play bloody Chantelise in a bloody civilized language most asuredly you weren't among this post's target demographic, nya.

Felix

Arcane
That kind of stuff is what is really embarrassing about electronic games. So much T&A/wank(or shlick) bait in so damned many of them.

spekkio

Arcane
In news related to my current Tactics Ogre - The Knight of Lodis LP: Aeon Genesis finally released their translation for Tactics Ogre - Let Us Cling Together.

20fosoh.jpg

Tactics Ogre is a very detailed 3-D isometric turn based war / rpg sim. You start out with a band of troops and build a small army and fight many battles with choices to make in between battles that will determine which one of the 8 possible endings in a non-linear storyline.

You have the option to recruit characters, control individual equipment of each character, with over 6 male character classes, 6 female character classes, 3 demi-human classes, and more. You can also train at safe locations to advance your army before the next battle / storyline advancement.
w19r3c.jpg

rw07jl.jpg

2f05114.jpg

e5pkjn.jpg

2edmqdw.jpg

Rejoice, fellow weaboos!

spekkio

Arcane
Tales of Innocence (NDS)

throughhim413 & Kingcom recently finished their translation for Tales of Innocence. More info here

qp2pw1.jpg
2w6azc8.jpg

ra0y02.jpg
2lkagbm.jpg

If you missed the recent decline of Tales... series, now is your chance to catch up...

Uh, I got this a few days ago but forgot to mention it here...I see I'm too selfish to be a newsposter.

Anyway, a few months ago I suggested Metal Saga for the PS2. I recently learned that it was part of a series. AGTP translated one game, Metal Max Returns, and is 20% finished with Metal Max 2. Didn't try it yet, though. Sounds like it's worth checking for anyone who is too worried their cat or ferret might mock them for playing a jrpg with lolis or whatever.

Metal Max Returns, a remake of Metal Max (Famicom) for the Super Famicom, appears at first glance to be a fairly stereotypical RPG. Some careful observation and about half an hour´s worth of gameplay later, and it reveals itself to be much, much more. Set in a gritty, post-apocalyptic/wild west hybrid environment, a nameless youth decides to become a Hunter, one who fights monsters and cashes in on bounties, usually with heavy artillery. Enter Metal Max´s defining feature - tanks. You´ll spend a lot of time playing with your tanks - twinking them out, customizing them, even attaching little baubles to their dashboards. Most of the game is spent with your tanks, but it´s important that you don´t ignore your human characters´ development, because there will be times when you can´t use your tanks.

Metal Max is light on story, but heavy on gameplay. There´s a ton of stuff to do, such as hunting the weekly bounty head, improving your Hunter rank, toying with your tanks, exploring, getting a tattoo. It´s really up to you to figure out what you want to make of yourself in the wide world of Metal Max, but you´ll have a blast doing so!

Wikipedia doesn't include it, but I'm sure Metal Walker (gameboy color) is part of the series as well. It's kind of fun.

It's an RPG with rock-paper-scissor styled mechanics, but plays like biliards where you ram your robot into the enemy bot. You start off with a neutral robot with no real strengths or weaknesses. In the traversable overworld, you find parts to upgrade it, which gives it traits, but also abilities, such as sea travel, hovering, and shoving power. These abilities help you find more parts for more power. Surprisingly, alot more fun than it sounds.

Sorta related: from what I've read, Steambot Chronicles, also for the PS2, is similar (got an official english version, but I'll just put it here anyway). Didn't play enough to form a solid opinion (no codexian "played through the tutorial, it's shit" from me, sorry), so here's copypasta from /v/'s recommended games wiki, which also contains some translated games.

A Non-Linear Real-time rpg. Play however the fuck you want, from good to evil, without having to do it all through text choices. Think a steampunk Grand Theft Auto combined with Katamari's controls and Dark Cloud's levels of customization. Play music for a living, get a boring job, become a criminal, get an apartment, get laid, become a cage fighter, etc...

The all got shit reviews for lacking handholding a compelling story that drags the player around, so you know it could be good.

spekkio

Arcane
Not much going on in this field lately, maybe except Rance's phenomenal success on Codex.

Still, Hardcore Gaming 101 prepared some interesting article about fan translations:
link

Good read for people interested in chinese/korean rpgs/rape simulators.

Also: Front Mission 2 (PSX) translation should be ready p. soon...

lightbane

Arcane
I tried that Metal Max Returns game, but as soon as I patch it both Snes 9x and ZNES refuse to load the game (even if the game worked before pthe patching). Any ideas?

That's usually due to a bad rom dump, or bad header or some other emulation jargon I don't know much about. Look for a rom that looks like Metal Max [J] [!], these are the best dumps.

With ZSNES, you can also try soft patching (name the rom and the ips the same thing and put them on the same folder).

Some sites also offer prepatched roms.

EDIT: hmm, I tried here and it said "CHKSUM: FAIL", which I believe is code for "SHITTY ROM". Let's see if I can find a decent one.

EDIT 2: Spekkio's right, just tested.

spekkio

Arcane
lightbane said:
I tried that Metal Max Returns game, but as soon as I patch it both Snes 9x and ZNES refuse to load the game (even if the game worked before pthe patching). Any ideas?
From translation readme:
Quick ROM Info:
4.00MB (32mbit LoROM), WITHOUT Header (*exactly* 4,194,304 bytes)
Check if your rom has correct size (it's not likely), remove header using
SnesTool

anus_pounder

Arcane
I'm currently looking at the translation for SRW J (GBA). Chances are it'll be months before its finished. Apparently, despite being 99.9% finished, they want to finish another translation first + they want to translate the crucial .1% left, like the main menu heading. -_-

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom