Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Translations of wapanese games

Discussion in 'jRPG Weeaboo Discussion' started by spekkio, Jan 23, 2010.

1. Siveon Arcane Patron

Siveon
    Parrots:
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Click here and disable ads!
    Fair enough! I should play Ogre Battle one of these days anyway, but I got frustrated because I wanted to find all the cool secret shit. I think there's a VN-like 'true ending' as well?

^ Top  
  2. Damned Registrations Prestigious Gentleman Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist

Damned Registrations
    Parrots:
    If you're talking about MotBQ, there's not really a 'true ending' so to speak, but there are easier and more difficult to get endings, which a lot of the secret stuff plays into. There's also a bonus side mission sort of thing. If you try the game and it doesn't grab you, I recommend trying the bonus mission before giving up on it; it'll spoiler what a lot of the late game units can do and give you a taste of the mid to late game combat, which is a bit faster paced and higher stakes.

^ Top  
  3. CryptRat Arcane

CryptRat
    Parrots:
    Nobody cares but I abandoned Last Armageddon (at least for a while). This game is too hard for me.
    [​IMG]
    Show Spoiler
    I haven't got the beginning of an idea of what the slates are about, maybe I missed a particularly important one, I can't enter the tower (no idea what the proof they want is, but it's very likely that the alien which spoke in the base told me and I didn't notice) and didn't manage to do anything in points of interest (my 8 first demons can't read the 2 books in the two dungeons upper from the start, didn't try with the 4 remaining ones because I never got them back, but maybe the titles alone are clue and you're not meant to read inside the book although how it's presented seems to indicate you can read them, I've got no idea what the cd-rom is about). No idea if I triggered something after beating the giant in the alien base or if it's just a useless cinematic. I found the Ahora sword, and judging by the monsters which are stronger there the desert and the grey lake are probably area of interest, this tree in the grey lake seems particularly intriguing, but I've got no idea what they are about.

The game is not particularly interesting but the atmosphere is cool, you're playing demons fighting aliens, you're constantly switching between two parties (not at will, one for the day, one for the night) which is cool too and the demons evolve which is more cool visually than gameplay-wise.

Exploring the world map is OK, you often suddenly get to face hard monsters and realize you shouldn't have adventured there this early. That said the main point of adventuring seems to be to read slates, and I haven't managed to figure out anything by reading the slates.
    The two dungeons I've explored are almost empty, with nothing except random encounters, but they are not that big.
    Maybe the game actually has some very nice large scale puzzles and I'm just too bad. You're thrown in a world with the goal of figuring out things (and killing aliens) and that is actually very pleasant at first.

The game uses a "learn-by-doing" system which is not great but somewhat more interesting than usual at least on paper : you'll quickly earn skills which can kill the entire opposite team, but if you use it you basically get no XP, and if you attack or use magic instead you earn much more XP. What is actually interesting is that sometimes you're facing monsters which make a lot of damage so you must choose to kill them easily or try and kill them more fairly to gain XP with the risk of being killed.
    There's a shop/crafting menu where you make weapons, armors and consumables, not every demon can use weapons nor armors.
    In practice I made some armors, weapons, HP/MP restoring items, and I resolved every combat by having everyone attacking or using some random skill which kills everythings, the combat/stuff system is pretty poor, even compared to the combat systems of other NES jrpgs that I personally like but completely understand that a lot of people think they're too simple.

Now my demons are all super strong with the time I've spent on trying to figure out things but I'm just stuck. Maybe things will get clear after a break but I doubt it.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  4. aweigh Arcane

aweigh
    Parrots:
    that little half-bracket at the beginnig and end of japanese dialog takes up two english letters' worth.

there is no particular point to why i'm postnig this i'm just mildly druk.

• incline incline x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. oasis789 Arcane

oasis789
    Parrots:
    So I finished it and it's not a long game, but it's quite good and one can tell that it was made with lots of love and thought. Like Spirited Away it's filled with Shintoism and traditional folklore, but its also sprinkled with j-horror staples like cursed letters, haunted schools etc. There's this one well-written moment where you are exploring downtown and see something sparkle in the middle of the road. If you go and see what it is, you find it's a pair of shoes neatly placed there. And then a monster smashes straight into you, re-enacting the suicide. On the gameplay side it's fairly challenging, as you have to juggle out-maneuvering enemies, swiveling the flashlight to spot them, throwing consumables to distract and hinder, and manage your limited stamina, while figuring out how the quirks of each monster/ghost. Checkpoints are pretty few and far between too.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. CryptRat Arcane

CryptRat
    Parrots:
    What about this mecha dungeon crawler?
    I'm not sure yet that it is as good as Shadow Brain (the dungeons seem emptier) but I've roammed between the first cities and defeated a few bosses and so far it's fun. The resource (bombs and healing items) management part is nice. There are different weapons but I haven't bought any new one yet.
    Some screenshots :
    [​IMG]
    Show Spoiler

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

^ Top  
  7. oddech_wymarlych_swiatow Erudite

oddech_wymarlych_swiatow
    Parrots:
    Wohohou dude I care. Been waiting for translation for years. Which port was translated?

^ Top  
  8. CryptRat Arcane

CryptRat
    Parrots:
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. CryptRat Arcane

CryptRat
    Parrots:
    Since I'm playing Out live, which shares similarities with Shadow Brain but, if vaguely interesting, seems worse in every aspect (maybe I'll give details later), I'd better explain why I liked Shadow Brain instead of speaking about this one. If you like dungeon crawlers you can really at least give Shadow Brain a try.
    I requote screenshots so that there's no ambiguity that I'm talking about this one. I never know if I should open a new thread for that kind of things, but anyway...
    It's a cyberpunk turn-based dungeon crawler, single character. The story is some classic cyberpunk story, I don't remember it well but I remember it's OK.

The game is divided into 16 16x16 areas. One big strength of the game is these areas : they're not abstract, there's "Medical town" which contains a lot of pharmacies, "Playland" with cinemas and games, I think there's a power plant area, etc.... The areas are varied and you'll meet many characters ; the dungeon never feels lifeless. There are shops and hotels, to sleep and save, and you'll quickly gain access to the network with additionnal shop and NPCs to talk with. The game is relatively linear, you can't unlock every area from the start without following the story checkpoints but I never felt like it was too railroaded (and not only because it's a dungeon crawler and we don't really care). The "adventure" part is pleasant, with some backtracking ; overall I liked the pacing of the game. It's probably worth noticing that there are a few mandatory minigames. EDIT : I forgot to mention that you have to find the maps of the area in-game, that's cool enough to be mentioned.

The fights are turn-based, 1vs1, and they are mostly cool because you have enough various options and the enemies are varied enough too. Even if the game isn't particularly hard, you will probably get surprised and die a few times. Some boss battles are very fun.
    Enemies randomly appear on the map, they don't move and you have to engage a combat by yourself, so in theory you can limit yourself to attack only enemies blocking your way.
    There are 3 categories of weapons, sometimes stronger of weaker depending on the enemies. For each categrory there are different weapons to buy and to find including unique ones, generally with different power depending on the energy cost ; some weapons have special abilities instead of dealing damage. There's a limit but you can wear different weapons of each category (maybe 3 of each or 10 in all, something like that).
    Additionnally you have got classic consumables (grenades, healing items) and you'll get some additionnal capacities which will be upgraded during the game, like an healing and a barrier abilities or some various combat or non-combat abilities.
    I won't comment precisely about stats because I don't remember how they work, you've got hit points, energy which raise at each level, and probably damage too, I know you can miss but I don't even remember if accuracy depends on the weapon you use, same with speed, you and your opponent choose an action and then they are resolved in a given order but I don't remember if your speed depends on anything (you and your opponents can gain additional turns).
    By the end of the game you really have various options, and you'll probably have to search for all the last unique items and upgrades to be able to fight the last bosses and especially the very last one which is not easy to beat.

Concerning the technical aspects, I think the game looks very cool, and the musics are good too. It's been a little while but I'm pretty sure the translation is nice to read (I can't comment about accuracy).

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. flyingjohn Cipher

flyingjohn
    Parrots:
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. spekkio Arcane

spekkio
    Parrots:
    [​IMG]

^ Top  
  12. Make America Great Again MrRichard999 Arcane Patron

MrRichard999
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    • Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  13. Make America Great Again TheEntitledOne Arcane

TheEntitledOne
    Parrots:
    Just a reminder that friday is Incline Day.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 3
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Make America Great Again TheEntitledOne Arcane

TheEntitledOne
    Parrots:
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. spekkio Arcane

spekkio
    Parrots:
    ^
    #hyperweapon #tastefulrape #rance-sama

^ Top  
  16. Rahdulan Arcane

Rahdulan
    Parrots:
    Oh my, last Glory of Heracles game has been translated.
    http://transcorp.romhacking.net/projects/herc4/

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  17. LJ40 Learned

LJ40
    Parrots:
    Man, I'm really excited to try out Heracles 4 but fucking seriously:

"For nearly 20 years I have helped shape and strengthen the spirit of the ROM hacking community. I fell into a unique community of peers and fans alike all those years ago. I was there to help get things started in mid 90’s. I’ve translated several games. I’ve built ROMHacking.net. I’ve turned hacking newbies into superstars. I have given more than my fair share, but yet the passion lives on. Today marks completion of one more chapter in that legacy, one more gift to my community, and one more SNES English fan translation. Today marks the release of Glory of Heracles IV: Gift from the Gods!"

Do you think it would be possible for this fucking tard to stroke himself (deserved or not) off any harder?

• hopw roewur ne x 2
    • Funny x 2
    • meh x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • retadred x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Phantasmal Arcane

Phantasmal
    Parrots:
    This self-congratulatory faggot also feels the need to put his own intro screens with music into his rom patches too you have to skip through. I'd remove them if I knew how.

^ Top  
  19. oasis789 Arcane

oasis789
    Parrots:
    http://46okumen.com/projects/e-v-o-the-theory-of-evolution/

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    ^ Top  
  20. Haba Harbinger of Decline Patron

Haba
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Here is some happy news to celebrate the end of 2016:

Baldr Sky never. Fuck Sekai Project.

Fuck Sekai Project.

Also fuck Peter Payne.

Never forget.

Never forgive.

Where is my Seinarukana, you cunt?

I'll fucking cut ya'

Bitch

• Funny Funny x 1
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. abnaxus Arcane

abnaxus
    Parrots:
    Funny, it's on my PC98 list.

^ Top  
  22. Gamerhenky Literate

Gamerhenky
    Parrots:
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 2
    ^ Top  
  23. SCO Arcane In My Safe Space

SCO
    Parrots:
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    The relocalization of Ar Tonelico 2 is a significant hack, not just a new translation. Some more scenarios, lots of bug fixing (horrible port), the japanese voices actually included (us release had no voices in some scenes), not horrid budget translation text etc.

Also the same guy is doing Atelier Marie + Ellie (ps2 version). Not done yet, but they have the script.

http://ateliertraduction.forumactif.org/t24-traduction-d-atelier-marie-elie-terminee#101

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Make America Great Again MrRichard999 Arcane Patron

MrRichard999
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    Interesting video

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Haba Harbinger of Decline Patron

Haba
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)