Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Translations of wapanese games

Repressed Homosexual
It's Idea Factory man... don't get your hopes up.

I played it briefly on consoles, the combat system is garbage, and the story and characters all kind of horrids even for this type of material. Not worth playing.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I would more willing to give it a pass if it was based on Ghostlight PS3 version but instead they appeared to gone to present the best option on PC so pre-ordered.
I was gonna pre-order as well, but it seems that all DLCs included in the pre-order are just powerful weapons that kind of "break" the game. Apparently you can disable them, but even so...

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
In other news, I clocked in 40 hours in Yumina by now. 2 routes done, one more to go before I can unlock the "True" route. It is so _bad_, but kind of interesting at the same time. In an academic way. That combat system is just so...

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
In other news, I clocked in 40 hours in Yumina by now. 2 routes done, one more to go before I can unlock the "True" route. It is so _bad_, but kind of interesting at the same time. In an academic way. That combat system is just so...
LP or GTFO.

TigerKnee

Arcane
Why would anyone LP Yumina? The story is honestly generic tripe. The dungeon crawling is fun but it's also slow as shit so most of the LP will be "I had to spend 5 hours grinding so I can pass the next boss"

Oriental Blue was just released.

A GBA JRPG that's non-linear and apparently even has choices and consequences.

Can someone tell me more about this one?
Yeah, at first I wasn't interested, having not heard of it before, but non-linear JRPG with C&C sounds interesting. Anyone wants to give it a try and report?

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Can someone tell me more about this one?

Well, I haven't played it myself yet, but for what it's worth this review makes it sounds pretty innovative: http://www.gamefaqs.com/gba/918788-oriental-blue-ao-no-tengai/reviews/review-133529

On the surface, it looks like a typical Japanese RPG, but it's actually quite complex. This game uses what they call a "Free Scenario System," which is basically a fancy term for a branching storyline. Although the game only has one ending, the path you take along the way there will probably be very different from someone else's playthrough.

Some events are determined randomly, others are determined by the time on the in-game clock. Your actions also influence what might happen. Unlike most RPGs, you don't have scripted wins or losses in boss battles. If you lose against a boss who's trying to steal a certain item, they will steal it and get away with their crime. If you beat them, you'll keep it safe. The boss battles in this game are very challenging, so even if you're unable to beat the boss, you can continue to play through the story. In fact, certain events are only available when you've lost.

[...] There are plenty of side quests to take, and a message board with requests from people all over the world. If you take too long to finish them, the requests might be finished by someone else. The little girl that's sick in bed will die if you ignore her, and the town that's being invaded by monsters might turn into a ghost town unless you intervene. There's a lot going on in the world, and you're free to pursue or ignore whatever you want.

That kind of makes it sound like what cboyardee's trying to do with Barkley 2.

I'm definitely going to give it a try... as soon as I have the time, which won't be exactly soon. :(

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Why would anyone LP Yumina? The story is honestly generic tripe. The dungeon crawling is fun but it's also slow as shit so most of the LP will be "I had to spend 5 hours grinding so I can pass the next boss"

Frankly, my endgame tends to look like this now:

yumina_ethereal_overpowered.png

Yumina isn't bad enough to make a good LP. Though watching my sanity crumble as I finally force myself through the Yumina route itself could probably be amusing to some sadists.

In other news, Grisaia no Kajitsu is GOOD. God damn it, take note japfags. You can have actual FUN in the drivel you scribble! The protagonist doesn't have to be a spineless worm! Why didn't I spot this earlier (the school setting, obv.)? I hope the other two games in the series are as good.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
I hope the other two games in the series are as good.

A boy trying to find the paradise he once lost arrived in a secluded garden at the end of the world, where he found five girls. Not knowing himself what the result would be, he took out five seeds and distributed them to the girls, driven by a sense of duty and perhaps even the faintest murmurings of something like hope. One by one, the girls planted the seeds they had been entrusted with in the ground around them, waiting for the day when they would bear fruit.

But whether or not this day will come remains to be seen - everything hinges on one final struggle to learn where a true paradise is to be found.

Our story picks up immediately after the events of Grisaia no Meikyuu, with Kazami Yuuji having been detained for suspected involvement with an international terrorist organization, lead by Heath Oslo, that has managed to enter Japan's borders with a devastating new weapon of mass destruction in hand. Meanwhile, at Mihama Academy, the remaining students find themselves with time running out - due to financial issues, the school is set to close within the month. Over the past year, though, the girls of Mihama have finally begun to find their own legs, thanks to Yuuji's involvement - are they really just going to bury their heads in the sand and let the world change around them? And are they really willing to let the man who changed their lives slip away without so much as trying to win him back? As the end of their time at Mihama Academy approaches, Amane, Makina, Sachi, Yumiko, and Michiru find themselves arriving at a single conclusion.

How much a group of students can do in the face of countries and organizations far bigger than any individual could hope to be remains to be seen. In the first place, Yuuji's position is far more complicated than any of them could have imagined, as he finds himself embroiled in an elaborate game of super-political chess revolving around both himself and an inconceivable new system slumbering in the depths of CIRS - a system that Yuuji may have more of a connection to than he thinks. One thing is for certain, though - the girls of Mihama are no longer willing to let the world steal things away from them without at least a bit of resistance first. And with help from a mysterious individual known only as Thanatos, they may just achieve their goal...

The final chapter in the Grisaia series, featuring Prologue De La Grisaia, a prologue set before Yuuji's arrival at Mihama; Blanc Aile no Tane, the overarching story's grand conclusion; a smorgasbord of bonus eroscenes; and an after story to the events of Blanc Aile no Tane.
lulz

tet666

Augur
In other news, Grisaia no Kajitsu is GOOD. God damn it, take note japfags. You can have actual FUN in the drivel you scribble! The protagonist doesn't have to be a spineless worm! Why didn't I spot this earlier (the school setting, obv.)? I hope the other two games in the series are as good.

Grisaia is great, finished all routes not long ago, great game some of the funniest one liner laughs you will ever get in a VN. The Mc is a real Bro its really refreshing after all the whimps in most other Vns. Some parts felt dragged on a little but overall really good can not wait for part 2 whenever that will be done.

deuxhero

Arcane

Does anyone know why a steel dagger has higher attack power and lower price in this?

edit: I'm obviously supposed to use the grass on the dying girl whoes family says needs the grass, but I can't figure out how to use it on her.
edit 2: Nevermind, use it facing her father, not her.

Last edited:

tet666

Augur
Damn this looks great, but i cant stand machine translations, sure hope it gets translated eventually.
Im pretty mutch a newbie to VNs the only ones i played so far are Ever17, G-senjou no Maou, Saya no Uta and now Grisaia which i very much enjoy
I thought about playing Rewrite or Cross Channel next since the setting sounds similiar any opinions?

Stabwound

Arcane
So does anyone translate anything besides Japanese dating/school/bird simulators anymore?

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
So does anyone translate anything besides Japanese dating/school/bird simulators anymore?

Yumina the Ethereal
Aselia the Eternal
Seinarukana
Kamidori: Alchemy Fucker
Duel Savior/Xcross Scramble
Baldr Force
Kara no Shoujo/Cartagra
Rance I-VI

Hell, even Boob Wars

I dunno lol?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom