Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Translations of wapanese games

Zetor

Arcane
Yeah, it's just like a party member's inventory (in the 'status' screen you can switch between them with left/right shift or ctrl depending on control scheme, iirc). It IS bound to the party, and I think it gets nuked if you completely disband the party (not sure, I've never done that).

edit: in the offline manual, it's sorta-explained under "Character Screen"

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
The translation for the first Suikogaiden was just recently completed. The Suikogaidens are basically a type of CYOAs set in the Suikoden universe starring Nash (one of the main characters from Suikoden III) that tend to run alongside the first two games' plots. They're all PSX games as far as I'm aware.

http://ramsus-kun.webs.com/Suikogaiden/Home.htm

spekkio

Arcane
Some news from the translation / emulation front.

1) Tales of the Tempest for NDS, supposedly the worst game in the Tales universe, has been translated by Absolute Zero Translations. Grab the patch here:
http://www.romhacking.net/translations/1814/

No, it's not an April Fools joke. Or maybe it is... :(

2) Translation of Front Mission 2 for PS1 has been aborted due to technical difficulties and general suckitude of the group. Info here:
http://www.frontmission.info/

3) PPSSPP, a new PSP emulator for Android/Win/Mac/Loonix surfaced some time ago. It's open source, so you can expect fast (?) progress (or >9000 different and incompatible branches). SVN Builds can be found here:

http://www.emucr.com/search/label/PSP

Compatibility is IMO p. low, but when something works, it works fine (in most cases).

TigerKnee

Arcane
The Tales translation is real, but the joke is that the team wasted 2 years of their life on it when they could have translated a good game.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
We named Tales of Game's after the Tales series because they were the worst games we could think of.

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I wonder if the FMT team actually ran into a problem or if the whole "Let's translate the entire fucking series!" thing just became too much for them.

As for Tales of Tempest, at least its out of the way now. Now they can focus on translating Tales of Destiny II and the Tales of Destiny 1 remake, though at the rate Phantasian Productions goes, I'll probably have to ask my grand kids how those translations turned out.

lightbane

Arcane
Some news from the translation / emulation front.

2) Translation of Front Mission 2 for PS1 has been aborted due to technical difficulties and general suckitude of the group. Info here:
http://www.frontmission.info/

:rage: :rage:

Dammit, why? I had been waiting for years and that's what I get? :decline: I'm sure Front Mission 5 was much harder to translate, yet it was eventually completed...

deuxhero

Arcane
Everytime is see some shitty Otome game or generally bad game has been translated, I have to sigh and shake my head at how people will do translations for THAT, but not actual good games.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Everytime is see some shitty Otome game or generally bad game has been translated, I have to sigh and shake my head at how people will do translations for THAT, but not actual good games.

Actual games are usually much harder to translate and hack.
Especially older games (like Front Mission 2) when then did all sorts of bullshit to save memory at the cost of being able to use english text. Front Mission 5 probably had nothing like that, likely even let you name your character or whatever in english if you wanted to, so they didn't need to do a bunch of the technical bullshit to put letters into the game.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
1) Tales of the Tempest for NDS, supposedly the worst game in the Tales universe, has been translated by Absolute Zero Translations. Grab the patch here:
http://www.romhacking.net/translations/1814/

No, it's not an April Fools joke. Or maybe it is... :(
"The translation was completed in-line with localization standards for the series and includes battle and karaoke subtitles."
Downloading.

Watch out for my Sing-A-Long Let's Play.

deuxhero

Arcane

Actual games are usually much harder to translate and hack.

Otome games are littles BUT text, and I've seen games fail after text insertion and extraction was demonstrated.

Cool name

Arcane

I am not sure that does means what you do think it does means.

Otome Games: Pure and hybrid visual novels whose main target market are teen and young adult girls.

Maybe did you mean bishoujo games or something. :?

Cool name

Arcane
Ah. They do translations of that by the same reason most dudes do translations of bishoujo games I guess.

But if you want to shake and sigh you should start by bishoujo games. There are, I do not know, a few hundreds of those translated for every single Otome one? :?

I do mean no offense but it is kind of hard to take it seriously when you a criticizing a 'genre' that has, what, ten games translated? Tops. Most girls who are into Otome games do play them in japanese and that's that: Presently there are more Otome games made in the west than actually translated from Japanese.

Edit: And LoveRevo is funny as hell. For girls, at least.

LundB

Mistakes were made.
As a result, she ended up weighing 100kg (about 220lb) by the time she was in high school ... The heroine expects these guys to be falling all over her, but they have no interest whatsoever.

Wow, an entertainment product that doesn't send girls the bullshit message of "You're great how you are, guys will love you for the inside even if you don't take care of yourself at all on the outside!", but rather the truth? While I have no interest in playing the game, I certainly approve. A worthy translation project :salute:.

stabby

Learned
Otome games are littles BUT text, and I've seen games fail after text insertion and extraction was demonstrated.

Yeah, but your bog standard VN & VN-Like can have it's text extracted and translated on the fly (well, PC ones anyway) because it's basically using an engine that Displays a graphic and outputs some text, where as a game like FM2 has a lot more running under the hood, the text throughout the game has a chance to be encoded differently depending on how it's used (ingame event vs. menu text for instance), and it's all more likely to go tits up if the end result is off by one or two bytes.

Oh, demonstration of text inserted in game != Game Translated btw, if anything I imagine that's when the more time consuming work actually begins in the project. Going back to the Front Mission 2 cancellation, from what they've said (and stated in the patch notes) it's one type of event that can't be done at the moment as the text happens to be stores/displayed differently than the rest of the game. The issue at hand isn't that they can't figure it out and crack it though, they're calling it quits because they just don't have the spare time to do it (I'm willing to put a fiver on the fact someone just had a kid).

And finally, :P to you. LoveRevo is a fun game.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
We named Tales of Game's after the Tales series because they were the worst games we could think of.
pGmYk2O.jpg

Brofist this if u cry evertime!!!11 ;_;

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
This post points out that there actually might be worthwhile Chinese developed games out there.

Its a turn based RPG, I can't really think of a game that is like an exact clone of it. Maybe like Grandia's battle system with a mixed with a 3x3 grid system and with Valkyrie Profile style graphics? Thats probably the best way to describe it for me.

Game came out ten years ago, and it's the first I've ever seen of it.

Anyone familiar with Chinese game industry? And for that matter, how's the Korean market? Anyone worthwhile over there?

Above mentioned game at least has a translation project: http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=15771.0

oscar

Arcane
What's some cool C&C-heavy visual novels/games? Quite enjoyed Steins;Gate.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom