Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Translations of wapanese games

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
BTW, I finally tried Monster Hunter Tri on the Dolphin and was MASSIVELY dissapointed... what a shitty combat system!

Seriously, how can people praise this? Is slow as fuck, with little to none variety and the biggest challenge is HITTING something... even the enemies can't fucking hit you right, you can keep gathering bodies right in front of a horde of dinossaurs that even if they attack you they'll mostly miss anyway... what a shame, and I've been hearing so much good stuff from this game during years, just for this... meh.

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
Do you really think so?
I played it and I didn't feel it was that slow.
Granted, most of the beginning is piss easy but when you hit the caves/desert outside you start having to take care of heat/cold environments and monster variety gets good.

Are you by any chance comparing it with Demon Souls?

deuxhero

Arcane
And what's wrong with the previous patch for ToP PSX? It was based on Snes/GBA version?

Honestly? No fucking clue.

The Last Story is pretty much a gimmicky action rpg...you have cover and stuff.
It could have gone in a nice direction with the spells that leave magic fields of imbuing power but then whenever you use the awesome button you own everything on the screen (it comes in two flavors: mole popping and wall running).

While I personally enjoyed some of the boss battles, the fucking repetitiveness of the normal fights (read easy as fuck) makes it hard to enjoy.

Still shooting bananas at hulking trolls never gets old.

The objectives were too commonly "protect mage while they blow something up" to really abuse cover most of the time though. The multiplayer is surprisingly fun (at least as a fast-cast mage), not exceptional, but worth a go (if anyone actually played it anyways...).

BTW, I finally tried Monster Hunter Tri on the Dolphin and was MASSIVELY dissapointed... what a shitty combat system!

Seriously, how can people praise this? Is slow as fuck, with little to none variety and the biggest challenge is HITTING something... even the enemies can't fucking hit you right, you can keep gathering bodies right in front of a horde of dinossaurs that even if they attack you they'll mostly miss anyway... what a shame, and I've been hearing so much good stuff from this game during years, just for this... meh.

Yeah, the combat and controls of this game really pissed me off. Everything just feels completely inept.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Are you by any chance comparing it with Demon Souls?
While Dark/Demon Souls games certainly left me spoiled on action games, I'm not.

Monster Hunter simply is inferior to most action games I know, from Zelda to Dragon's Dogma, Dynasty Warriors and even Mount & Blade. I'm still in the initial island, and haven't faced any huge enemy, but clearly the design for battling the small ones is retarded, I can't fucking HIT them, no matter what weapon I use, the hitboxes are so small and the attacks so slow & static that you have to wait for them to be standing still to hit... I understand they don't want to use lock-on, but FFS, tune the game to work well without them, not this retarded mess.

It's a very dissapointing game that forces me to play it exactly like the developers planned for it to work, especially with dumb limitations like not being able to swap weapons wihtout going back home... I was very hyped to finally try this series and was let down by such a dumb combat scheme.... even worse knowing that the guy that worked on this has some ideas to "improve Dark Souls 2"... fuck.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I'm gonna sound like an elitist fanboy, but it sounds like you just suck at the game. I've never had trouble hitting small enemies except maybe the bugs (which are obviously meant to be hard to hit). If you can't hit something the size of your character you must be completely inept, trying to spam one attack instead of using the full move set or timing anything.

The series has some major problems. Most notably the massive amount of time spent walking around looking for your targets and the fact that later single player battles quite often take 44 out of 45 minutes to complete when done properly and if you miss up just slightly you'll time out and have just wasted all that time for nothing. But the combat isn't one of them. Watching an expert play the game is actually fucking impressive, because the potential for skilled timings and and precision attacks is very high. I've seen a single guy take out a monster faster than the other 3 of us working on it's mate. And it wasn't because he had slightly better equipment or because we were all too inept to complete the mission without him. He was just fucking amazing.

stabby

Learned
Though I'm probably going to sound like a fanboy myself, (and I haven't touched MH:Tri so I don't know the full details,) but that sounds like the normal reaction to the game for anyone who tries it out felipepepe, myself included. The usual step now is to either take a step back to look at the game again and realize it's not quite like other ones out there (hell, I personally can't see how it qualifies as an 'action' game tbh) and adjust how you approach the game, or just drop it entirely. It's a game that definitely needs some planning & prep work for any mission you do, and patience. A LOT of patience. Sure it's got a shit-ton of HP bloat, a limited inventory that fills up quickly, a 3-5 second pose after taking any potion or powerup, and a finicky as hell camera, and a myriad of other differences from your average action/adventure game, but once you get the knack of it you might just see that it does, in fact, work somehow. Of course, the fact that the first star or so of the missions still qualify as the 'tutorial', and as Damned Registrations said, it can take up to 45 mins or so to solo a monster once you're deep into it, but it's a game series that is definitely rewarding if you persevere.

That all said, I can't imagine how it must play on an emulator, especially with M&K (hell, even other controllers for that matter). I'm a PSP man so the controls, and more imp7ortantly the finger-hooking style, definitely do the job there.

Quick edit: Also, when did this become the emulator thread? I want more news on Trap Protagonist games and whether or not that VN where you play as a Horse & romance girls is getting translated dagnabbit!

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I'm playting it with a Xbawks controller, and it works very well, but it that mindset of "taking a step back" that I don't like, usually games like this accept multiple playstyles, but here I feel forced do play it "the right way", and all the weapon variety is just a matter of choosing the best for each hunt, not to fit various players preferences. In fact, I was most dissapointed by the whole "hunt" thing, I thought they were side-quests, not the sole purpose of the game...

In short, I think I'm facing two problems; wrong expectations for the game and trying it years too late, after games like Dragons Dogma and Dark Souls blew it away.

Damned Registrations

I can sympathize with that. Monster Hunter WAS amazing when it came out, but that was a long time ago. Other devs have finally started to iterate upon the formula and it makes the flaws show a lot more harshly. Meanwhile MH hasn't really improved much at all since it's first incarnation. Better monster variety and some weapons, but that is about it.

Maybe it'd be better (in comparison to dragons dogma for example) if you had bros to play with, so you could get more out of the support effects they put in the game like tracking and status effects and so forth. Dragon's Dogma didn't seem to have much to offer in that regard, even if it had multiplayer it'd just be a slash fest. The one thing MH can offer that neither of them can is the multiplayer experience. It feels really cool to know that you're filling a very specific role on the team, stunning the monster with a hammer so the guy with a sword can hack the tail off, etc. That aspect is entirely missing in single player. I played a bit of Tri online though and it felt a lot more sloppy than the original. The difficulty is just toned down too much so doing specific things to the monster is either too easy or not important enough to bother doing.

stabby

Learned
^ Fair enough, and as I said it's really one or the other as there's really no in between about it. Though to be honest, I really don't find that there's a 'right way' to play the game, and that though there is something of a factor that certain weapons are more suited to specific monsters, there is still somewhat of a leniency in choosing a weapon for your play style and sticking to it. True, I could go on and on, but you did give it the ol' college try and it's not your cup of tea, I'm not going to try and convince you further.

Hell, I can fully admit it's one of the few games that can beat certain MMOs in grind-tastic gameplay(seriously, the amount of times you hunt the same monster because you're just missing that one material you need for your shiny new weapon/armour piece that just won't drop), but personally I'm part of the group that finds the game just somehow works in some strange way. The fact I do play it co-op with some friends definitely helps matters if I'm honest.

deuxhero

Arcane

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
In official translation news, Atelier Ayesha is confirmed for NA release by the ESRB

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/01/04/tecmo-koei-bringing-atelier-ayesha-to-north-america/

The series is actually really fun.

If you were too turned off by the bright tone and young protags of the Arland games to try it, Ayesha stars an independent woman and I've seen comparisons to Majora's Mask in terms of tone for the plot of Ayesha.

During the course of the game, a handful of cutscenes include suggestive material: two female characters accidentally groping each other in a dark cave; a female character discussing being touched by men (e.g., “Whenever something happened, some guys would always touch my butt in the midst of the confusion”); two female characters taking a bath together (deep cleavage is depicted).

Funny how about half of the article talks about the 2 minutes of fanservice that are in the game. Goddamn weabboo cretins.

On second thought NO, its not funny you mongoloid imbeciles !

I can't stand that shit in anime and in jgames. When it's used it's usually completely out of place and it's just there to fulfill an incredibly moronic perversion of some subhuman species getting exited when two female animu characters "accidentally" grope their boobs, or when the camera inexplicably goes down to show the character's panties. Of course actual sex between is an unthinkable taboo and and kissing is equivalent to marriage or something, while moe loli pantie shot is oh gawd itz heavan for all those retarded impotent basement dwellers who should all die in a fire.

Yeah I'm ranting and I'm drunk and I speak the fucking truth.

deuxhero

Arcane
Funny how about half of the article talks about the 2 minutes of fanservice that are in the game. Goddamn weabboo cretins.

Because it's the ESRB's content warning you idiot bubber. EVERY game, even the most innocent, will highlight the dirtiest scenes because it exists the highlight the dirtiest scenes.

Atelier doesn't have any "purposeful" panty shots. You can see some character's underwear when they are dead and the camera angle matches up, but nothing scripted.

The main series (Iris was an attempt at a more "traditional" jRPG and tacks one on) doesn't have romance either aside from Totori and Mimi, and the reason they never do anything is because it takes Mimi two games to even admit she loves Totori.

spekkio

Arcane
ITT we learn that ghostdog is probably more into yaoi than yuri.

Updated my journal.

:rpgcodex:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
My drunken rant was about fanservice in general (and mainly in anime) you fuckers !

:x

But yeah, I never stopped to think about what deuxhero said, which of course is true... :oops:

deuxhero

Arcane
Plus “Whenever something happened, some guys would always touch my butt in the midst of the confusion” sounds like the miner girl talking about the difficulties of being the only woman in a workplace otherwise populated by men in their early 20s.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Unknown jRPG report : DARK HALF by Enix for the snes

Atmospheric jRPG with turn based (tactical ?) combat and non-anime art style, where it seems you play both incantations of God and Satan as they roam the earth preparing for their final battle against each other :eek:
(and now you can stop wondering why this wasn't released in the west...)

mobygames said:
Through the Light came the Darkness, and through the Darkness came the Light. They were inseparable in the beginning, and gave birth to each other. Rukyu appeared before all the other creatures, the great demon of darkness, later to be known as the Satan. The divine hero-god Roda went up to his dark realm to defeat him, but was struck down, and presumed dead. But the hero couldn't die so easily: he swore to defeat Rukyu once and for all. Meanwhile, Rukyu doesn't just stay in his realm, waiting for Roda: he goes out to the world as a death-bringing sorcerer, and he is out for Roda...

The game is quite different from most other RPGs, because it lets you play as both the "good" hero and the villain. The game is divided into chapters, and each chapter is played by either Roda or Rukyu. You switch the two heroes chapter-after-chapter, and lead them to their ultimate battle from two opposite sides. The entire game, including the battles, is viewed from an isometric perspective. The battles are random and turn-based, and the battle field is divided into squares you can position and move your characters on. Both Roda and Rukyu can have party members join them, and both attack mostly with magic. Rukyu uses a special energy called "Soul Power", while Roda cast one-time spells from scrolls he receives after battles.

dh3.png
dh4.png

An english patch that has about 60% of the game has been released. Unfortunately the project seems on hold or dead :
http://klepto.freehostia.com/darkhalf.shtml

Here's a video using an older patch with crappy translation and fonts :

Zetor

Arcane
Looks like the guy working on the translation of the Generation XTH Wizardry games for PC is becoming more active - he now has a forum and everything (http://kudomuramasa.foramu.net/)

You can register and pm him if you want to be a tester -- there are also some screenshots showing the translated UI / some in-game text and a progress report thread here:
Topic / status
---------------------------
Offline manual / Second pass [Download Link] (slightly out of date)
Demo / 90%

Screenshots: 1/10/13
http://kudomuramasa.foramu.net/t7-screenshots-1-10-13

Things to do:
-Fix lines over 99 characters in malform descriptions
-Mission summaries
-In-game manual
-Type text, remaining item abbreviated text
-Insert remaining monster names
-Sector names aren't showing in english
-Tech Name in camp screen
-Riku's nickname
-"Male"
-Intro images are broken
-Fix default team name

bminorkey

Not an RPG, but guys, play this: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/disc...tris-by-the-country-that-brought-you-the-ring.

Don't look up anything. No spoilers. Don't even scroll down on that page. This is crucial. Just download and play. Keep an eye on the game's installation folder.

The English translation is clearly made by a non-native speaker, which detracts from the experience a little (it also gets some inconsequential details wrong), but you get the gist of it.

Damned Registrations

Oh look guys, I just found another translated game that hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
And the demo for the Generation Xth: Code Hazard translation is out!

C7E3FCDC8FEC7A544BA9BFDB91BCB56FDE55A715

Great game so far, I'm still getting to know the classes and how to not die, but it shows great promise. Weird how they don't use mouse controls thought...

If you're interested, apply as a tester here: http://kudomuramasa.foramu.net/t5-if-you-want-to-be-a-tester

Even Jaesun might be interested by this one... ;)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom