Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry Translation release for Wizardry Gaiden I - Suffering of The Queen!!

Asaki

Novice
Sure thing.

These little Gameboy games would have been killer to play on the bus when I was a kid. Instead I played Final Fantasy Legend 3 ten times.

You know what would be incredible? Translations of the PS2 Busin 0: Wizardry Alternative Neo

It doesn't seem like anyone will ever translate it and I realize it's leagues of effort and time needed compared to these old games, but it's a shame we never got this one in English.

This would be cool to play but I'm not enjoying the long animations. I like it quick and snappy.

Asaki

Novice
I have been thinking about this one... I remember when I was fooling around with some hex stuff to eliminate an annoying character that popped up during fight scenarios, i might have ommited a character that could have caused this... I'll check it out. Would you help me test against this to help me fix it Asaki?

Any luck?

MrRichard999

Game re-worker!
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
I have been thinking about this one... I remember when I was fooling around with some hex stuff to eliminate an annoying character that popped up during fight scenarios, i might have ommited a character that could have caused this... I'll check it out. Would you help me test against this to help me fix it Asaki?

Any luck?

Its fixed, going to upload it to romhack as soon as the upload queue clears.

MrRichard999

Game re-worker!
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Ok, a patch has been released for everdrive users now thanks to Arromdee. You can find it available for download on the first post of this thread. Also made a few grammatical changes too.

Asaki

Novice
Awesome news. Sorry I never got around to replying before, lost a lot of employees at work and things got super busy (something people refer to as "real life", I think?).

Started working on Wizardry I again, and remembered to check up on this one. These games are a lot more time consuming when you can't just have an emulator not save the game when your party gets wiped out.

MrRichard999

Game re-worker!
Patron
Also got two projects in the works for Wizardry Empire 1 & 2. Here are a few screenshots of the first one.

Wizardry%20Empire%20-%20English_35.png
Wizardry%20Empire%20-%20English_36.png
Wizardry%20Empire%20-%20English_37.png

MrRichard999

Game re-worker!
Patron
Thanks :) Dont forget to thank AgentOrange & Mark Patraw's wizardry website also. Cant do this all by myself :) Also some great news, took a look at Wizardry Empire II and it seems the ROMS are almost exactly identical except for new dungeon dialogue. I can pretty much transfer all the work from the 1st Wizardry Empire over to the 2nd one and just only need to have dialogue translated only on that one which means these two translations can be released close to each other without having a load of work on the 2nd title to do :D

Also if anybody is interested, would like to get some testers once the project is mostly completed.

busin0-guy

Barely Literate
holy crap ._.
I never thought I would seriously see someone on the www who could possibly make an english translation patch of busin 0 x.x
Please... Mr-badass-Richard .... make this a reality!
I would totaly donate for an english translation patch of that game haha... I mean.. I'm aware (even though I don't know exactly obviously) that this would be an enormous project. but ..you are my only hope :hug:

MrRichard999

Game re-worker!
Patron
I hate to be the breaker of bad news but it more than likely wont happen... So far all the Wizardry PlayStation titles don't have significant relative matches when I look up words in them... This is why I went to work on Wizardry Empires I & II for PC, Wizardry Chronicles for PC, & Wizardry - Staff of Resurrection for game boy. If I do get these done, I might try to take a crack at the other ones but in the mean time I gotta stick with what I know is doable.

busin0-guy

Barely Literate
It's all cool :)
I understand that it's easier asked for than done
I don't know how you actually do this with translating games at all.. Is there a simply and short way to explain how you go for such projects?
Oh and I'm not asking for a 'short and simple way' because I'm too lazy too read or anything I just don't want to bother you too much with explaining things to noobs that come randomly at you to ask stuff lol

MrRichard999

Game re-worker!
Patron
The easier ones you can do a relative search of text strings by game which then allows you to map out the table of what value equals what letter. Some games may go by a default Shift-JIS table which is super easy, and aren't... and sometimes stuff is encoded or compressed and that's where I do not get involved :D

There are some nice documents on this site if you want to play around with some ROMS if you are interested. ---> www.romhacking.net

Hengki Kusuma Adi

*bump*

I made a Lycurgus Battle and Ending video too :D
BTW, this Wizardry Gaiden Trilogies still need to be retranslated anyway (by someone else).

Asaki

Novice
Wow, two years later and I finally get around to playing this game @_@

Yeah, the translation's kind of rough, but it's a heck of a lot easier to read than Japanese =)

I was wondering, though, why the default party got changed in the translation? I thought it was kind of strange that they all start out somewhat powerful, and in their mid-30s (age), and how I got through the first two dungeon levels without dying once. Sure enough, I made a Japanese save and loaded it up in the translation, and got a different party of 16-year-olds. So now I'm starting the game over with these new guys =) And my thief has already died once =)

Best part about the original party is that you start with a Bishop. "Identify" skill = free money from Boltac!

I'd like to release my own hack-of-a-hack, but I doubt I'll be able to find the time to do all the research required. So far, I swapped the font for the bold version from Wizardry Trilogy (GBC), and cleaned up those two garbage tiles from the map screen. Just some personal preference stuff, really.

Asaki

Novice
I could make up a list of typos if you're interested. I haven't noticed any glitches yet, though (aside from the starting party being wrong).

MrRichard999

Game re-worker!
Patron
That would be great! I could go in and fix whats in it. Whether its a typo or something that looks weird in the dialogue, I can adjust for it. A lot of the dialogue was done by Tangyi and there may have been a slight language barrier involved but its all fixable.

Dorarnae

Arbiter
These little Gameboy games would have been killer to play on the bus when I was a kid. Instead I played Final Fantasy Legend 3 ten times.

You know what would be incredible? Translations of the PS2 Busin 0: Wizardry Alternative Neo

It doesn't seem like anyone will ever translate it and I realize it's leagues of effort and time needed compared to these old games, but it's a shame we never got this one in English.

This would be cool to play but I'm not enjoying the long animations. I like it quick and snappy.

that was a problem the first game had...but this one, you have option to skip animation.
fight at 2:20

Asaki

Novice
That would be great! I could go in and fix whats in it. Whether its a typo or something that looks weird in the dialogue, I can adjust for it. A lot of the dialogue was done by Tangyi and there may have been a slight language barrier involved but its all fixable.

A lot of it is from words being translated to English, but not the order of the words. So you'll get things like "Fighter Monster bashes" instead of "Fighter bashes Monster".

Some other things, off the top of my head:

On the "Edge of Town" menu, maybe "Go Maze" should say "Enter Maze".

Dungeon exit says "Up-staris here Follow?" I think one of the other games says "Stairs going up. Take them?" but I'm not certain.

"Find a treasure!" should maybe be something else ;)

I'll have to take some notes next time I play, I know there were some other things I found.

MrRichard999

Game re-worker!
Patron
It's been a while since I looked at this one actually. I think there were issues re-organizing stuff to switch it around. Once I finish up with a project I am working on I will have to see if its possible.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom