Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Transistor - sci-fi action-RPG from the makers of Bastion

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Did someone steal Roguey's account? Praising Bastion, Dungeon Siege 3, and World of Goo?

Nah, that's Roguey. He/she has developed a serious hard-on for puzzle platformers and the like, since they're the genre that most commonly has the kind of tight, balanced design that he admires.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I've lost every game of checkers I've ever played.

Did someone steal Roguey's account? Praising Bastion, Dungeon Siege 3, and World of Goo?
I praised nearly everything about Bastion except gameplay, which is the most important part of games.

set

Cipher
Everyone and their mom praised Bastion, so I bought it like an idiot. I barely made it through half of the first world I walked into before I fell asleep. People were saying it was just like Super Mario RPG, which is... No? It didn't play like that at all.

We can't even get a game of SMRPG's quality these days. Ugh.

And this game? It looks just about as boring as Bastion was. I dunno, maybe it's got something to it, but there's something about this game that just turns me off. It's too sterile and blurry looking, I think. If you're gonna do a 2d/sprite game, at least go to the effort to make the sprites stylish AND detailed.

Quatlo

Arcane
People used to joke about HEY LISTEN from Zelda, but that god damned sword is thousand times worse.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

Well, checkers does require a basic modicum of logical thinking and foresight in order to play well, so that's not too surprising.
OTOH I've won many games of chess.

And technically I have won one game, but I cheated, so it doesn't count. I purposely distracted my brother by tapping my foot against the table throughout the entire game.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I'm decent at chess and suck ass at checkers. I don't think that's a rare thing. Different styles of tactics/memory/planning skills.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Weidman liked it. Downloading to see if I agree. I was bored to tears by Bastion, though I liked the aesthetics.

Well, checkers does require a basic modicum of logical thinking and foresight in order to play well, so that's not too surprising.

Haha, the unprovoked :butthurt: is strooooong :lol:

Last edited:

TheGreatOne

Arcane
Bastion is horribly overrated. Couldn't even bring myself to finish it despite it only being about six or so hours long. Plays more like an SNES-type platformer than an arpg.
No, it doesn't play anything like SNES platformers. Don't sully the name of those games by comparing them to that overrated indy garbage, especially when they're nothing alike. Bastion is mostly a Diablo clone with ranged weapons and shields, as it has an isometric perspective and very little actual platforming. It has nothing to do with 2D side scrollers that are actually well designed, challenging and fun to play. If you want to compare it to a 16-bit console game, Bastion is much more reminiscent in it's gameplay of the latter Ys games that had jumping and some Zelda clones.
I could write multiple articles dedicated to how Red and Transistor’s interactions are handled. I won’t, though. I’ll let you go discover that. We can talk about it again later, and be all like, “And then that one part…! And he said… I KNOW, RIGHT.” We will do this while sitting on a bed and consuming ice cream. Mandatory ice cream. Those are my terms.
I fucking loathe this self important way of writing that every goddamn art fag/feminazi video game journalist seemingly uses. Why cant these people write an article/review with out going off on these inane tangents between every God damn paragraph? An article that gets published is not your personal diary/blog/Twitter/Facebook.

If you go back in time to the early 2000s and look for articles and reviews on Dreamcast and N64 games on IGN, even they look highbrow in comparison. Hell, even Xbox 360 dudebro era articles on IGN, Gamespot and other similiar sites are probably far more tolerable than the ones in the liberal cesspools that are Kotaku and RPS. I guess when the authors are more simple minded (or atleast don't have that burning desire to show every one how "enlightened" and "thoughtful" they are like young university leftists do), they wont try to be clever and dilute their articles with irrelevant, unnecessary bullshit like the more "academic" art student SJW types, and instead just focus on writing on the actual subject.

24v60r6.jpg

Last edited:

WhiteGuts

Arcane
Honestly I'm happy to see that I'm not the only one who didn't like Bastion. I felt huge shame when I had to drop this universally acclaimed boring game.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
This game is six hours long, is self-described as action RPG, and by all reports, isn't challenging enough for anyone who's not in coma to have their character die even once.

I'll wait for a steep discount.

aris

Arcane
Is this the gathering place for over-edgy try-hard codexers? Seems like it.

Bastion a horrible game?
Wow.

Game seems fucking interesting. Gameplay seems waaaaay better than Bastion from what I've seen.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I played Bastion once it went on sale, and it was okay. It was an indie game through-and-through.

"RPG" and "six hours long" don't really compute for me. In fact, any game that can easily be completed in a long afternoon is suspect—they tend to be quickly consumed and easily forgotten. Portal is probably the biggest exception I've made, and it's a puzzle game, which makes a difference.

Moreover, I know full well that the difficulty of this game is on the easy side. I don't feel that it's tryhard or edgy to wait.

aris

Arcane
Looks like VATS on overdrive. Within a single round player can traverse battlefield back and forth, throwing three speciall attacks on the way, while enemies stand defenseless.
Then switch to realtime and run circles for few seconds until action points regenerate, then repeat. A turn based game where enemies won't take their turns to fight back - innovashun.
Heh. That's exactly what you could do in fallout 1 too with enough AP if you didn't realise it. You could circle strafe pretty much most enemies all day, and never actually have them do any thing.

I'll wait to play the game to pass judgement though.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Honestly I'm happy to see that I'm not the only one who didn't like Bastion. I felt huge shame when I had to drop this universally acclaimed boring game.

Bastion had some nice art, some great music and the narrator gimmick was fun for a bit. Actual gameplay however was utterly boring. I felt it was quite a letdown. From all the raving reviews I get the distinct impression that Transistor is the same. All show and no substance.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom