Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Town of Salem - a game of murder, deception, witch hunts and ignorance

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
One of my recent guilty pleasures has been this little online game called Town of Salem. It's based on various party games that people may have played in days of yore, except the room full of partygoers has been switched out for a chatroom and some buttons.

The idea is this: 7-15 players are lumped together into a lobby, they form the Town of Salem. Each of the players is given a role and must strive to complete the goals for that role. However, one is not supposed to reveal their role to the other players, as this tends to lead to the killing roles targetting you and removing you from the game. Combine this with the fact that there are 3 factions in the game, each with their own goals, and you are left with a room full of suspicious people with murder on their mind.

Of the 3 factions the Townies are the most numerous, but also the most uncoordinated. They have no internal communication channels available and usually are the ones that get revealed (and targeted) first as they waste time trying to find one another. The Mafia are a small faction (usually only 3 players) but with an internal communication channel and instant awareness of each other they make for a very deadly force. Finally there are the neutrals, which usually have individual roles that give them the option of which of the other factions to side with. Survivors must survive, Witches want to see the Townies die, Executioners are trying to get certain players lynched and finally the Serial Killers, Arsonists and Werewolves just want to kill everyone.

Each game lasts between 10-25 minutes and is divided into Days, which again are divided into certain phases. The most important of these phases is the Voting phase, where the surviving players can vote up one of their own to be lynched. This is why the secrecy and deception becomes so important, because anyone can be lynched at any time - and you'd be surprised how many times people are randomly lynched...or why.

You see, the best aspect of ToS is the social aspect - or the lack of it, to be more precise. The game's chatbox is the most important part of the game, with accusations being thrown back and forth which can lead to people getting lynched. Sometimes it doesn't take more than for someone to say the wrong thing or have picked the wrong name to be voted up. I've yet to see anyone calling themselves "Justin Bieber" live past the 2nd night, for example.

The key to surviving in ToS is be good at deception. Sometimes someone starts throwing out clues (or outright accusations) that someone is playing a bad role. This often leads to the target getting voted up and lynched, then the next day the accuser gets voted up and lynched once people figure out that they've hanged the wrong victim. Since everything is on the clock, there's rarely time to sit back and ponder over things, so snap judgements will have to be made - which isn't that far from today's online society of instant actions. With online harassment campaigns/public shamings being drummed up out of nowhere almost every day, ToS can serve as a wonderful tool to see how they work from the inside.

Another part of Town of Salem is the ignorance level - it's pretty high. The most common names you'll see are modern-day (pop) stars, Pokémons, foods, colours and internet memes. Once in a while I try to pick a name that brings a little inclince, only to get some very interesting responses. Once I chose "Don Quixote", the only comment I got was "I like your name, it sounds familiar." Another time I picked "Harvey Keitel", the player who murdered me left the death note "Who the fuck is Harvey Keitel?" (No one saw a reason to answer him.)

But sometimes the name you pick can work to your advantage. Once I picked "Murder Victim" and both the Serial Killer and the Mafia targeted me on the first night, leaving gloating death notes. Unfortunately the Lookout (whose role is to see which players visit a certain player each night) was watching me and could identify both of them the next day. That was a short game.

The game was recently updated, and besides a general slow-down of everything it did add a Pay2Win scheme...sort of. Which role you get is randomly determined at the start of the game, but now players can buy Scrolls that increase the chance of you getting a given role by 10 times the normal factor - usually resulting in a 70% chance of getting the role. Otherwise the in-game currency is all about visualizations - make your townie look like a nurse, Jessica Rabbit or a werewolf, or get a pet to follow you around (to your death).

So if you're interested in taking part in small bursts of MMOG, or have an above-average interest in sociology, then you might wanna check out Town of Salem. Monocled gentlemen of prestige need not apply to this den of ignorance, of course, but even they might still enjoy a laugh or two.

Viata

Arcane
So I bought the game on steam after reading it and I have already played 6 hours in a row. Pretty great game. The part were you are an executioner or Jester are the best one, it's pretty obvious to find them so you have to be quite smart to deceive everyone. Also, the pay 2 win can be ignored as even if you start as a certain class, that doesn't mean easy win. Great game, finally short and funny game to play in a "too tired to play rpg games" day.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
So I bought the game on steam after reading it and I have already played 6 hours in a row. Pretty great game. The part were you are an executioner or Jester are the best one, it's pretty obvious to find them so you have to be quite smart to deceive everyone.

Those two roles I have trouble playing as, mostly because I've only played them in Classic mode where everyone knows they're present and therefore keep an eye on them. The few times I've won with those two roles is when I manage to be sneaky instead of deceitful, but an Exe working with the Mafia can be a gameturner.

The only "standard" role I've yet to win with is, ironically enough, the Serial Killer. You'd be surprised how even the most noobie players seem to have encyclopedic knowledge of how to spot them, and once found they get lynched ASAP. Meanwhile I've won more times with Medium than I can count, and every single game where I've been Jailor. Jailor is a VERY powerful role.

The lulziest role in the game, however, is the Transporter. There seem to be no limits to how greatly a Transporter can mess up a game...for anyone.

Viata

Arcane
Those two roles I have trouble playing as, mostly because I've only played them in Classic mode where everyone knows they're present and therefore keep an eye on them. The few times I've won with those two roles is when I manage to be sneaky instead of deceitful, but an Exe working with the Mafia can be a gameturner.

The only "standard" role I've yet to win with is, ironically enough, the Serial Killer. You'd be surprised how even the most noobie players seem to have encyclopedic knowledge of how to spot them, and once found they get lynched ASAP. Meanwhile I've won more times with Medium than I can count, and every single game where I've been Jailor. Jailor is a VERY powerful role.

The lulziest role in the game, however, is the Transporter. There seem to be no limits to how greatly a Transporter can mess up a game...for anyone.

The first 6 games I was SK and is this fucking hard to win. Vet kill you quite easily(funny enough, playing as vet is quite annoying) and lookout and invest are always lucky. I won once as a Jester, but that's thanks to framer and dumb town. Medium was always a shit class for me as people usually leave the game after dead(some don't, but every time I was medium, they did) and I have yet to play as Transporter or see someone playing as it.
Jailor is indeed OP, but most people are just "gotta execute him" and lost all they executions. I won mostly as Doc, GF and Vig.

Tigranes

Arcane
So it's MMO Mafia. It's my favourite group game IRL, so that could be fun. A Codexers only round could be nice too.

Steve

Augur
So I bought the game on steam after reading it and I have already played 6 hours in a row. Pretty great game. The part were you are an executioner or Jester are the best one, it's pretty obvious to find them so you have to be quite smart to deceive everyone. Also, the pay 2 win can be ignored as even if you start as a certain class, that doesn't mean easy win. Great game, finally short and funny game to play in a "too tired to play rpg games" day.

Why buy it when you can pay the identical browser version of it at http://blankmediagames.com/.

Dexter

Arcane
I remember playing this in the good old Warcraft III days a lot, maps were called "Who is the Killer" or "Mord im verschlafenen Städchen": https://www.epicwar.com/maps/143391/ http://www.epicwar.com/maps/122426/ and there was also a werewolf version. You started the game not knowing who got the special role and tried to stay alive for several days, everything was safe during the day and you could mingle with other players or try to get somewhere lonesome away from them. When night came the murderer or werewolf came lose, if someone was near him when he turned he could notice it and possibly get the message out, which is why the murderer/werewolf was trying to get away from the other players and be somewhere lonesome in the woods while accusing others of being him. Once someone was dead chat privileges with the living were gone. At the end the survivors had to guess and convince others of who the murderer was and vote for it, who might have made a mistake and been identified or who tries to convince others that it's not him but someone else.

There were a lot of game concepts that proved to be successful in the WC3 Modding scene that went on to be very successful afterwards, among them DOTA and Tower Defense, as well as possibly games like Magicka that were very similar to "SpellCraft".

There are still a lot of untapped fun maps like "Uther Party", Escape Gay Hell/Space/Heaven series, Run Panda Run, Footmen Frenzy that could be successful as standalones or maybe minigame collection.

I wonder how viable these things are as standalone games, are there enough players to be able to find a game? How long does it take? Will this still be possible a year from now or two? The boon of WarCraft III back in the day was its large userbase and the way the lobbies worked (newest ones always displayed first and you could refresh) instead of popularity-based like in StarCraft II, which kind of killed the Modding scene on that one. There were so many people playing WC3 Custom maps and probably still are that you could easily start a party with these maps even now, and the way map download worked was that nobody needed to have the files in the beginning but the Host transferred them to the other players at the start.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
I wonder how viable these things are as standalone games, are there enough players to be able to find a game? How long does it take? Will this still be possible a year from now or two? The boon of WarCraft III back in the day was its large userbase and the way the lobbies worked (newest ones always displayed first and you could refresh) instead of popularity-based like in StarCraft II, which kind of killed the Modding scene on that one. There were so many people playing WC3 Custom maps and probably still are that you could easily start a party with these maps even now, and the way map download worked was that nobody needed to have the files in the beginning but the Host transferred them to the other players at the start.

I've been wondering this as well, especially after my most recent games/small social experiment.

Lately I've picked my name from movie titles that came out more than 25+ years ago. Whenever I'm in a killing role, I leave a catchphrase from the film in the death note. I made sure to pick films that should be known to people that know anything about films in the first place. So far I've had 2 games like this where I'm in a killing role, people are dying and the death note clearly stated the film's catchphrase. Yet no one ever made the connection, no one ever said "I think that guy is evil, hang him!" based on the rather obvious clues I'm leaving.

This leads me to conclude that the majority of players are ADD-riddled pre-pubescent koalas on cocaine. I'd be surprised if a sizeable chunk of the current playerbase will remember this game in 6 months.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Fun game, full of lies and treachery, should be Codex favourite !

Only 4 $ on steam or free on their website but it runs from webpage and needs flash, so choose your poison !

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
I haven't touched this game since early this year. The rampant cheating just got completely out of hand, to the point that the game devs saw a reason to make a Turkish-only version of the game.

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
:necro:

So I heard that Town of Salem is getting its first expansion tomorrow, and reading the list of upcoming changes got me excited about this game for the first time in quite a while...

...for about 7 seconds, then I realized just how rotten the developers are.

ToS's biggest problem is the community. Because the game was originally browser-based and required only a free sign-up, there was little to no punishment for cheating. If your account got banned you just made a new one. This was somewhat addressed with the Steam release of the game (where getting banned was final) except... the devs linked the browser version of the game with the Steam version of the game, meaning that those that forked over $5 for the game got thrown in with the cheaters that paid nothing.

For years the devs have been asked to address this, and now they have, by releasing The Coven expansion. This expansion is only available on Steam, though adding it to the browser version is a future possibility. This means that players can no longer create disposable accounts to cheat in Town of Salem... except in order to get this "feature", you have to buy the expansion, which is $5.

In short, players are being made to pay $5 to be protected against cheaters. Nice protection racket the devs have got going there.

But that's not all. In addition to players breaking the rules being let off by the devs despite a wall of evidence being presented, they're also banning anyone that mentions the fact that the game's new expansion is blatantly ripping off the two games that are direct competitors to Town of Salem - namely, Epic Mafia and Throne of Lies, the latter which will be getting a Steam release later this year.

There's also the thing with their Kickstarter last year where they set a goal and offered stretch goals - only for them to change the stretch goals FOUR TIMES during the Kickstarter to try to avoid having to do anything for the playerbase!

Truly a lovely bunch of devs. I feel bad for having thrown 5$ at them, don't repeat my mistake.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom