Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tower57 - AlienBreed/ChaosEngine-inspired co-op shooter Amiga4life

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I am sad that you guys are going to Kickstarter, but only because it means the game will get delayed :) don't change it too much, this is like Chaos Engine 2, can't believe how close you guys got that artwork to the classics. Waiting (not so) patiently.

Cyangmou

Barely Literate
First of all thanks for the compliments DwarvenFood =)

Why do you think the game would get delayed?

With Kickstarter, we want to kickstart the development in order to be finished a lot faster, or to be finished at the time we intended to release the game with sparetime development and have produced something with a higher quality.
The core features we decided on won't change at all.

If we can reach our funding goal we can:
a) work fulltime on the game, instead of working just in the evening hours on it - this means first and foremost we might be able to focus solely on developing this game, without any distractions through job/clientwork, this should speed up the development.
b) add more polish or detail to certain features or aspects of the game, so that they it will feel much more complete than without the campaign and maybe it's even possible for us to add stuff which complements the game and we couldn't realize in sparetime-only.
c) hire professional help for stuff we can't do on our own (mainly music / sfx)

benitosub

Novice
Welcome back to another update!

This week work continued on the trailer, more specifically we are striving to make the various locations feel as polished as possible - of course they are really just tiny level mockups using unfinished tilesets and missing tons of props and such, but that’s why we are kickstarting the game after all ^_^

With that in mind, we added some light rays to the sewer level:

1zNRAFs.gif

Furthermore no red light district would be complete without some hustle and bustle, so Amor’s Den will get its own traffic, both pedestrian and motorized:

tqj90FG.gif

L7Ft7VR.gif

The point I mentioned above regarding locations stands for enemies as well, of course we have plenty of concepts and ideas, but most of them remained to be produced. However we didn’t want people watching the trailer to think that the game only features robots for enemies, so we added an enemy guard.

The only problem was that we really wanted to show him dying in battle, but we don’t have “death animations” yet, and because of our paperdolling system, creating new animations is a somewhat lenghty process.

Here’s how we’re getting around that one:

5sNuf4T.gif

And that wraps up this week’s update, I hope everybody enjoyed it!

If you want to get the update (plus some juicy extras) in your mailbox every week, feel free to sign up to our mailing list over at http://eepurl.com/boYiJP

Cheers!

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
* the emergent gameplay: as defined in WikiPedia, "complex situations in video games, board games, or table top role-playing games that emerge from the interaction of relatively simple game mechanics". The (custom) engine we are using is designed using a pattern called "entity, component, systems", which - without going into details cause I'm not sure how interesting it is except for programmers ^^' - allows us to do just that: create a basic set of rules for how all entities in the game interact. I'm talking things like "fire burns", "electricity travels down to the closest entity within a certain range" (I didn't say the rules were scientifically accurate ;) ), "blood puddles slow you down", etc. What the player makes of these rules, and how he chooses to exploit them is what creates the complex and often unforeseen situations.

Sometimes the results are funny / borderline-bugs:
one rule says "fire propagates to entities within a certain range". Normally a fire has a "lifetime", after which it dies out, but if you set fire to two entities close enough, then re-kindle the fire of one of the two entities at the right time, you can create a self feeding cycle of fire where each entity sets fire to the other one before burning out :D

Other times the results are really cool: originally we had the laser gun create a short-lived flame, just a few frames, on the targets it hit - cause, you know, lasers are hot? Well once while playtesting, I hit an enemy with a laser at the exact moment he was shooting at me: the laser created a small flame on the point of impact on the enemy, the small flame ignited the bullet, the flaming bullet came hurling down at me, lodged itself into my leg, and set me on fire...

This sequence of events was not something I scripted or had even anticipated would ever happen - remember, this is just a rule that says "fire burns", nothing in the code specifically handles setting bullets on fire in such or such case. So this somewhat complex situation unfolded thanks to the interaction of several systems that define the rules of the world: and this is exactly the sort of gameplay we are trying to create, a sort of TCE-AB sandbox where we give players the tools to have fun in their own way, and discover their own ways to beat or break the rules of the game!
That's really cool :thumbsup:

What libraries you guys use on your game, if you don't mind me asking. SDL?

benitosub

Novice
Hi!

I use SDL for rendering, filesystem, and input management on the lower level. Then on top of that is my own little engine, which handles rendering on a higher level (scene management and presenting everything in a tight little package for SDL to render with as little draw-calls and texture changes as possible), asset management (caching, texture atlases, etc.), "higher level" input management (abstracting keyboard, mouse, and gamepads into input controllers and actions, re-mapping keys, handling callbacks, etc.), entity-component-systems, per pixel collisions, proprietary map format, scripting, etc.

The other library I use is RakNet, to handle (online) sessions, entity replication, chat, and so on.

Hope this answers your question :)

First of all thanks for the compliments DwarvenFood =)

Why do you think the game would get delayed?

With Kickstarter, we want to kickstart the development in order to be finished a lot faster, or to be finished at the time we intended to release the game with sparetime development and have produced something with a higher quality.
The core features we decided on won't change at all.

If we can reach our funding goal we can:
a) work fulltime on the game, instead of working just in the evening hours on it - this means first and foremost we might be able to focus solely on developing this game, without any distractions through job/clientwork, this should speed up the development.
b) add more polish or detail to certain features or aspects of the game, so that they it will feel much more complete than without the campaign and maybe it's even possible for us to add stuff which complements the game and we couldn't realize in sparetime-only.
c) hire professional help for stuff we can't do on our own (mainly music / sfx)

Hey Bro you the graphics guru (meditation) ? Compliments on everything. Nothing seems out of place, and all objects/vehicles etc all fit the style and aestethics of the rest. Well done.

Cyangmou

Barely Literate
Hey Bro you the graphics guru (meditation) ? Compliments on everything. Nothing seems out of place, and all objects/vehicles etc all fit the style and aestethics of the rest. Well done.

Yeah, I am the one who does all the designs, animations and graphics, thanks =) Glad you like the style

Last edited by a moderator:

benitosub

Novice
Welcome back to another update everybody!

And a very happy Independence Day to our American friends! Here’s our very own 4th of July BBQ to celebrate freedom :)

w04RPbA.gif

This week we’re looking back on the past month or so, which has been extremely productive. In this time we have gone from a single demo level and a bunch of concept drawings to a fully fleshed game world with 5 new unique tilesets and counting!

52SoNcd.png

And in other big news (at least for us ^_^’), we now have a set date for the start of our Kickstarter campaign: we will be launching on Monday August 3rd!

To drum up some badly needed awareness for our campaign, we will also be posting a daily countdown gif or image through our twitter @tower57devlog until the start of the campaign. And of course for those who want more detailed updates, there is always the mailing list over at http://eepurl.com/boYiJP

And finally in slightly sadder news, next week’s update will probably be our last until the start of the campaign, as we re-focus all our efforts on polishing the trailer, the Kickstarter landing page, the perks, the stretch goals, contacting you-tubers, press, preparing campaign updates, and a hundred more little things (for those of you who might be interested in that kind of stuff, there is always the mailing list of course).

Fear not however, we’ll go out with a bang ;)

Have a great week-end everybody!

benitosub

Novice
Welcome back everybody!

This will be our last update for the next month or so, as the clock is ticking and we need to pour every resource available into (hopefully!) making our campaign a successful one.

This week we've been busy polishing up and recording the various trailer scenes. Here are some of the results we've been sharing throughout the week on our #tower57devlog twitter feed:

O2MxOHU.gif

DYvit5a.png

vUPzPAr.png

obvJ6Br.gif

GMsNHuS.gif

jBEgzDo.png

Considering 30 updates / weeks is quite some time in an indie game's life-cycle, we also wanted to share with you how far we have come in those seven and a half months.

This was probably one of the first rooms I built with Cyangmou's tiles, before the game even turned into a collaboration:

XZM7r48.png

Wasn't long before I started playing around with lights:

7DPFxpZ.png

And a character! (even though at that point the character was still in black and white, and would remain so for quite some time!)

NnJe9Vs.png

Next up were weapons:

vKwQogS.png

And here is where we are almost 8 months later, after a full engine rewrite, 2 level editors (with a 3rd - and final! - one on the way), and 2 live demos at indie events (with a 3rd one coming up in 3 weeks!).

jtemnsV.png

As you can see we've come a long way, and are eagerly looking forward to an even longer way ahead of us.

Thank you all for following and supporting us during those 30 weeks! Don't forget you can still sign up for the mailing list over at http://eepurl.com/boYiJP and hopefully see you all in 20 days in our KS comment section ^_^

Cheers!

benitosub

Novice
Hey everyone,

it's been roughly 3 weeks since we last posted, and what 3 weeks those have been!

However I'm happy to say we are nearly done with our Kickstarter preparations and are preparing to submit for review ahead of our August 3rd launch date.

So to celebrate the only way we know how, here are some gifs from our campaign (this is the "unpolished" source material) showcasing various features or aspects of gameplay.

Hope you all enjoy them, we'll post some more when we launch, just to harass everybody one last time ^_^'

Cheers!

nzqq001.gif

0kg1lqO.gif

AxAwt1y.gif

ESrqwPo.gif

SMyoht1.gif

UBfLhy8.gif

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I hadn't seen you had a thread there. Good luck, and congrats for completing the campaign preparation.

Hey Weirdstuffinspace thanks for the feedback!

My bad, I didn't actually list the stretch goals in any kind of order, just what the main ones would be :) However you make a very good argument for not having consoles be the first one!

The low 3$ "console pledge" was not meant for first-release backers, but more in case we do get funded, we figured backers who are *only* interested in the console stretch goals might want to contribute towards reaching that stretch goal but without investing "too much" in case we don't make it - especially if there are other stretch goals to reach first before getting to consoles. Maybe that doesn't make any sense though :D ? We are basically trying to figure out a way to get "console backers" who are only interested in the console stretch goal to join in the support, but without making it too risky for them. Any ideas that could help in this regard would be more than welcome!

Actually, I think a better way to do this would be to run a separate kickstarter after this one is complete just for the port. It won't make console players help you reach your initial funding goal, but they would have contributed little, if at all anyway, as it would still have been too risky for them, but you risk having backers not interested at all in your reaching some of your stretch goals, which might make you lose more than you would win.
After the main KS is successful, you could launch a second KS only for the port (or for director's cut + port if it is after launch).

benitosub

Novice
Hi everyone,

so after almost a year of weekly dev-blogging, we have finally launched our Kickstarter campaign!

Please do check it out, even if you don't intend to pledge, all feedback is more than welcome :)

Also a big heartfelt "thank you" to all who posted in our thread, provided feedback, comments, words of encouragement, and much more! Hopefully this will be the final stretch before being able to focus 100% full time on Tower 57 =D

Obligatory Kickstarter link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/514621648/tower-57

And here is our trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LH5DBtV7lM

Wish us luck!

Marco / benitosub

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Pledged, and good luck !
What did you use to draw the outline there?
npc.gif

You checked the transparent pixels of the sprite and colored the one adjacent to a non transparent one?
Did you do this dynamically, or did you save the sprite outline?

benitosub

Novice
Hey everyone,

sorry it's been so long, we've been super busy as you can imagine :)

Galdred the outline was done by Cyangmou (not sure how though) and saved ;)

Luka-boy actually it will have a slider, so you can set the amount of shake you want!

Outlander believe me we're trying :D we send out tons of mails every evening, we've contacted over 200 youtubers, we wrote every press outlet we could think of, we even ... *shudders*... created a Facebook page :D But if you have ideas by all means they are more than welcome, anything that spreads the word is great :)

Astral Rag thanks, you're awesome!

Haba yeah I don't know what to say, the indie press has been amazing from the start, very supportive, same for youtubers, but the "mainstream" international press doesn't seem interested in the game, we got 2 lines in between articles on Kotaku and Kotaku Australia (which prompted a hilarious comment ^_^), but other than that the "big ones" - Polygon, RPS, etc. - seem to be too busy or (understandably) flooded with requests. Doesn't mean we don't keep trying though ;)

And since it would be rude to show up after so long without bringing something, I wanted to drop a couple of gifs :) One we tweeted yesterday, the other is going out later tonight:

QHaWT2W.gif

Sometimes it's easier to let turrets do the work for you (Also quite risky though)

uFn2GMD.gif

Right now the turrets are pretty dumb, they will always focus on the nearest target ;)

Hope you like them, and thanks again to everybody who backed, shared, tweeted, or simply enjoyed our posts!

Cheers,

Marco

funky_koval

Augur
Backed it just because I had a good time with the Chaos Engine back in the Amiga days. Good luck!

Kutulu

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex
This looks absolutely brilliant, i mean it.

I loved chaos engine & alien breed, finished both of those on my amiga 500.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom