Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review ToTheGame adores HOTU

Spazmo

Erudite
Tags: Neverwinter Nights: Hordes of the Underdark

<a href=http://www.tothegame.com>ToTheGame</a> have <a href=http://www.tothegame.com/review.asp?id=50> reviewed <a href=http://www.bioware.com>BioWare</a>'s latest RPG offering, <a href=http://nwn.bioware.com>Hordes of the Underdark</a>. They think it's excellent and HOTU scores <b>9 out of 10</b>.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Probably the biggest addition is to allow characters to break the level 20 cap. Going into Underdark will be a tough and treacherous journey, one in which you’ll need to grow in power. Level 20 won’t cut it towards the second chapter of the game and by the end of the game you’ll really feel a sense of how powerful your character has become. Bioware makes life easier if you’re a newcomer to the series as it’ll allow you to choose a pre-generated character. Giving gamers the ability to move up to level 40 gives them a chance to become more than one class without having to worry about losing precious levels. Twenty more levels to pick and choose to be whatever you want. Oh the fun!</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
Yup, there's nothing more fun than playing a completely overpowered character. The concept of epic prestige classes also makes me recoil in terror.
<br>
<br>
Spotted at <a href="http://www.rpgdot.com">RPGDot</a>.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Nah. Powergamers are too busy playing with their +3 holy sword of death that kill balors with ease at level 10 in some other DnD. :roll:

Jed

Cipher
Volourn said:
Nah. Powergamers are too busy playing with their +3 holy sword of death that kill balors with ease at level 10 in some other DnD. :roll:
The NWN OC? Shadows of Undrentide? BG2? Throne of Bhaal?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Don't forget TOEE. Espicially considering you aren't 10th level in TOB; and you meet no balors in the OC until after 10th level; and not to mention there is no balor in SOU. To top it all of, you don't meet a balor in BG2 until most likely past 10th level (and if you rush to find one before then you are probably in a tough fight. Meanwhile, in TOEE; for such a "low level oriented game" it surely has TONS of +3 uber weapons; and you also fight a balor. WOWSERS! Therefore, in conclusion, you obviously failed to get anys embalnce of a point, troll.

Consideirng you can find +3 weapons in TOEE at such a low level; I'd guarantee that you'd easily fine +5 ones by the time you'd reach 20th level if a sequel would be made. Face it, TOEE is amde for powergamers just like NWN OC, and TOB (then again at leAst those two have a semblance of story unlike TOEE).

Enjoy. :D

Voss

Erudite
Wow. This discussion wasn't completely predictable.
:roll:
Can we move to subjects that haven't been covered, ad nauseum, in previous Bioware discussions?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Hey, at least you admit it. Just like HOTU is deisgned for powergamers too. :cool:

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Volourn said:

So, remind me again.. What level are you when you kill the demilich in BG2?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
15-18th level under normal circumstances. Then again, you don't beat the demi lich with ease unless you've faced him alreayd multiple times. This si completely than fighting a BALOR at 10th level max, and beating it with ease.

Plus, I wasn't saying BIO doesn't attract powergamers; I'm just syaing they *aren't* unique this regard and the most beloved devloper on these boards are just as guilty of attracting powergamers.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Yeah, it can be easy when you know his weakness which, of course, takes time to find out.

And, that's kewl spelling u have thar!

Transcendent One

Liturgist
It doesn't take that long to figure it out.

But anyways, at least it's an improvement that there are only two protection from magic scrolls in BG2. In the original there were like five, one of which you can get for free, and the others you could buy for a relatively cheap 2000-3000 GP.

It's funny, if a lich was tossed against a level 1 character in BG1, and he had a +1 weapon (not so rare in BG1) and a pro-magic scroll, he would be able to defeat the lich (THAC0 may get in the way, but you get the point).

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Invite me to the wedding, please.

Who's getting married? :P

It's funny, if a lich was tossed against a level 1 character in BG1, and he had a +1 weapon (not so rare in BG1) and a pro-magic scroll, he would be able to defeat the lich (THAC0 may get in the way, but you get the point).

It would probably take a few reloads though. :P

Volourn

Pretty Princess
You, and "these boards". :D

As for the lich in BG1; I seriously doubt a BG1 party would win if the lich had access to all his spells. Spells like stoneskin and the like would make him laugh at fighters, magic resistant spells for the mages, and a summoned balor or two would deal the physical dmaage against those who read the protection from magic scrolls. They might be able to pull through after quite a few reloads after learning, in what order, the lichc asts his spells. Or letting him cast the spell, run away, and come back when he has no spells left....

Voss

Erudite
So has anyone here picked it up yet?

Is it shiny? Is it tasty?

kumquatq3

Liturgist
Is it tradition to knock every review on every other gaming site when posting it? I'm being serious here. Is it a running gag or something?

triCritical

Erudite
kumquatq3 said:
Is it tradition to knock every review on every other gaming site when posting it? I'm being serious here. Is it a running gag or something?

Exactly!

No really, the fun about RPG codex, is that we make fun of everyone else.

Actually King Volourn is just like King Midas, every thread he touches turns to a Bioware, or ToEE debate.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
kumquatq3 said:

Call it a knack for pointing out what should be obvious.

Voss

Erudite
Tri- he does tend to chime in, but usually only after other people have started the same old argument yet again.

Kumquat- given the quality of a lot of the reviews in the last year, they tend to deserve it.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Voss said:
given the quality of a lot of the reviews in the last year, they tend to deserve it.

I have to agree with this one. I've pretty much come to the conclusion that there are only very few sites out there I can rely on for a decent review.

I think I should become a reviewer. :P

Voss

Erudite
Speaking of bad reviews, I haven't seen Doom&Gloom boy around in a while. Did he finally get tired of the abuse and flee back to the BIS boards?

evilmonkey

Liturgist
Saint_Proverbius said:
Volourn said:

So, remind me again.. What level are you when you kill the demilich in BG2?

oh around level 9 or so.

makes it all feel so nice.

scroll of anti trust, whack whack whack - and besides I've often enjoyed a meta game every now and then.

and I have no intrest in this debate about at what D&D level one should kill X or whatever - but have fun.

side note to keep with the topic.
A positive thing is that SoU does not contain the rags to riches, well it have riches to diety, but anyway no rags - still it being hi-fantasy lands it in the ignore folder.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom