Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Totally Not Corrupt Professional Objective Gaming Journalism DRAMA

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
There's still more shit going on at Joe's Twitter.

Good fucking lord Dan is a dip shit. Maybe lose his job worthy?

Tytus

Arcane
They are both retarded. Joe should've stop arguing with him a long time ago. But apparently he couldn't let it, go. He is too much of an obnoxious mexican jock to do it.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
They are both retarded. Joe should've stop arguing with him a long time ago. But apparently he couldn't let it, go. He is too much of an obnoxious mexican jock to do it.

Even so, someone is giving IGN a hard time so he's ok in my book. Self-sacrificing his dignity by arguing on Twitter while also exposing an IGN pawn as a dipshit is worthwhile.

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected
IGN versus Angry Joe. Funny stuff.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=803517

https://twitter.com/AngryJoeShow

Now, this was obviously not IGNs final conclusion of the game because a preview never is. Their review ended up giving the game 8.9/10 but I believe there was less "hyperbole" in that article. Not sure though. The same person wrote both articles though -> Ryan McCaffrey.

Anyway, Angry Joe made his Titanfall review video about a month ago. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhUHOqaC5_A) At around 8:25 he starts mentioning the fact that a lot of sites gave the game high scores and praise. At that point, he mentions "BELIEVE THE HYPE" in jest when a screenshot of the above preview is shown. After that, he calls out outlets giving it a 9/10 and a 10/10, and again a screenshot of IGN (in this case, the 8,9/10) is being shown as an example.

Nothing really happened, until today.

It's a pretty long twitter discussion between Angry Joe and Dan Stapleton, IGNs Review Editor. I didn't even link the entire thing because there are more single tweets. Dan seems to be calling out Joe because he used a quote from a preview and then showed the score from their review, two different articles. Also the fact he's talking about 9s and 10s when IGN only gave it a 8,9 and not a 9. The discussion seems tense from the start, but only gets worse and then things like this are said:

tweet1ugd44.png

tweet267cvd.png

Things like this are hilariously embarrassing. It just shows you why the video game medium has miles to overcome before journalists and real writing talent actually start taking jobs in this sector.

Repressed Homosexual
It seems to me that even sites like IGN and Gamespot had relatively qualified people in their first few years.

I think the problems are ultimately due to the fact that there are millions of desperate young men who are willing to work for peanuts to do the same work, so those who end up with the jobs have had to stomp on any ethical standards they might have had and are ready to tow any party line to keep their jobs.

Repressed Homosexual
Because it generates more traffic and the media conglomerates who own them couldn't give a rat's ass about "journalistic integrity", "honor" or "fairness"; they only care about traffic and ad/publisher deals. This is literally nothing but a vehicule to spread as many ads as possible.

Repressed Homosexual
Because it generates more traffic and the media conglomerates who own them couldn't give a rat's ass about "journalistic integrity", "honor" or "fairness"; they only care about traffic and ad/publisher deals. This is literally nothing but a vehicule to spread as many ads as possible.
I suppose controversy does generate hits, but you'd have to imagine that one of these days it could generate a lot of negative attention, and there is such a thing as bad press.

No because it's like a tabloid. It doesn't matter if tabloids behave in grossly unethical ways or put out extremely poorly researched or misleading articles, or engage in petty quarrels.

They pay these people quasi minimum wage or less to talk about something made for overgrown manchildren. They don't care and don't understand anything else than page hits and trafic.

Cadmus

Arcane
I like Joe. He is a complete retard and his reviews are totally retarded, shamefully unfunny and his gaming tastes and skill are total shit, but he is so naive and honest that it's kind of refreshing to hear his stupid consoletard shit once in a while.

IGN on the other hand, I have never read but they look like the typical faggots, so good on them, get fucked. I like that Dorito man image, he funi.

Xeon

Augur
Colin Moriarty I think is pretty good, End of last year someone posted his top games of all time or something on Reddit and he listed a lot of older games from when I was a kid. Don't know about his actual reviews but I really liked most of the listings and the mini reviews he included.

Angthoron

Arcane
Game Journalists Physically Unable to Write Reviews Without Adding a Number
by Jack · April 17, 2014

At a writer’s workshop during last week’s PAX East, professionals in the industry taught newcomers on how to write a review. Unfortunately, the lessons fell apart after it was discovered that no one could write a review without attaching a numerical score to it.

Surprisingly, this workshop actually had quite a few helpful tips on writing reviews. It was suggested that writers should start with an introduction that expresses how they feel about the game. Furthermore, they should always substantiate any opinion with facts based on what they played. It would have been extremely useful if the students actually got that far.

However, the teachers were not professional game journalists but rather independent writers who have won awards for their opinion pieces. The lessons they tried to teach seemed to fall on deaf ears as many of the students kept asking questions about what kind of number should go with a review and how to leverage that number into more hits for their website.

“This obsession with numbers just baffled me,” said writer Richard Payne, “Sure, you can add a number to your review, but I find that the best reviews are ones that clearly express their opinion without being misleading or confusing. But no one seemed to care about what actually went into the words. In fact, I don’t think anybody actually cared about writing at all.”

“I wanted to gauge their skill levels so I had them write a short paragraph expressing their opinion on a painting of a cat,” recalled Payne, “I did not expect much as it is extremely difficult to describe a very plain picture. But these paragraphs I received were just plain garbage. Why would anyone subject themselves to reading anything these people produce?”

The following is an example of an opinion that an attendee had written:

This painting is definitely a 10 out of 10. It is quite possible that we have found the next Mona Lisa. The visceral nature of this picture speaks volumes about the artist and brings tears to my eyes. It just makes me feel human unlike other paintings. The cat may not be perfect, but is the cat even important when we look at the whole picture? After all, the high quality frame shows that the artist spared no expense bringing this masterpiece to us. By the end of my viewing, the cat did not even matter. Instead, I discovered something new about myself.

“After reading these paragraphs, we decided to give some quick pointers and have them start over again,” continued Payne, “We just kept receiving these reviews with numbers and pointless abstract commentary that somehow did not match the number at all. What frightened me the most was that some reviews just had a number and that these writers could not stop themselves from doing it. I swear it is almost instinct for them.”

Even a few veterans attended the workshop including IGN review editor Dan Stapleton. Stapleton said that he needed a refresher on how review scores worked. He got into some trouble when he kept arguing about the importance between review numbers. To make his point, he took out a pen and almost stabbed a teacher saying that .1 of an inch is the difference between life and death. No charges were pressed.

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected
Even a few veterans attended the workshop including IGN review editor Dan Stapleton. Stapleton said that he needed a refresher on how review scores worked. He got into some trouble when he kept arguing about the importance between review numbers. To make his point, he took out a pen and almost stabbed a teacher saying that .1 of an inch is the difference between life and death. No charges were pressed.

Something is going on at IGN. This dogmatic craziness probably comes from a very dominating, anti-freedom, stressful, work environment.

I sure wish we had some rogue IGN employee leak out working conditions, and testimonies.

Deleted member 7219

IGN is far worse than Joe, so I have to side with him now. He is not without fault, but fuck IGN!

I do disagree with Joe on some things but I can't help but like him. He plays the 'little guy' rather well.

Cadmus

Arcane
Agothron is making a joke, right? I'm a bit unsure because uhm the journalism is stupid but this is obviously over the top, right?

Cadmus

Arcane
Agothron is making a joke, right? I'm a bit unsure because uhm the journalism is stupid but this is obviously over the top, right?

logonew.png

It's basically The Onion of vidya games
even spelling it out like this won't stop the next person falling for it though

Ah I thought it might be that website but I didn't notice the link in the author's name.
I don't know what's The Onion :(

Angthoron

Arcane

logonew.png

It's basically The Onion of vidya games
even spelling it out like this won't stop the next person falling for it though

Ah I thought it might be that website but I didn't notice the link in the author's name.
I don't know what's The Onion :(
It's basically a vegetable in the world of fruity news agencies.

wwsd

Arcane
Vatnik
What I don't get is why sites don't seem to discourage their staff from getting into this kind of drama to begin with. Disagree with what someone says? So? You have your own review and thousands upon thousands of people watched/read it.

Well, why are talk shows that include non-scripted drama between journalists and such so popular? Seriously, nothing is more fun than seeing people of a supposedly dignified stature get into a mud fight. There is so much romanticism about the activity of journalists, but in the end they are just as petty, spiteful, and competitive as the next guy. We like to see these people debase themselves.

Games journalism is a peculiar case, because of the acceptance of practices like accepting gifts from the people whom you are supposed to critically examine, and the openly admitted interweaving between reviewing, reporting, PR, and sponsoring. Of course this exists in all forms of journalism, but the gaming industry is one of the places where this openly accepted. So when games journalists quarrel like this, it's even better, because the whole system that they have built up is being called into question, whereas in other forms of journalism you can always argue that it's just a few "bad apples" deviating from real journalism.

I never read Polygon or the PAR. What is/was supposed to be special about them? I just see the same old crap.

What I don't get is why sites don't seem to discourage their staff from getting into this kind of drama to begin with. Disagree with what someone says? So? You have your own review and thousands upon thousands of people watched/read it.
gossip sells more than facts.
since when did you see facts on a videogame magazine?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom