Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Totally Not Corrupt Professional Objective Gaming Journalism DRAMA

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Somebody was working at Machinima...

Pssh, fuck no. I'm not beta enough to work in the current game industry.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Anybody getting into game programming expecting stability is delusional. It sucks to get laid off but a game programmer should always expect that to happen. Especially given the unreliable nature of game sales.

I still find it hilarious reading any articles containing the phrase 'video game industry' and 'stability'.

Earthquakes in CA are more stable than a position in the game industry. Thankfully my job is rock solid and even if my company got bought, I likely wouldn't lose my job. Also, I have a awesome CIO: company recently didn't meet sales, so this impacted everyone's bonuses and reviews. My CIO fought this and got our reviews to be reflected based on our performance and not that of the sales team.

Azazel

Arbiter
Since when does Machinima count as an aspect of the "Video Game Industry"? All they are these days is a pyramid scheme which exists to skim revenue off the top of ignorant children who upload youtube videos of themselves screaming in COD, or playing Minecraft. The whole "YT Network" model could vanish overnight and the only result would be a few spectacularly entitled fucks having to get a real job unless YouTube partnered them directly, and vast swathe of insufferable preteens losing their lunch money.

It's an industry which serves no purpose other than to massively enrich a very small number of people in the management of these companies, while exploiting as much as possible both their employees and the colossal idiots who actually believe they are getting higher CPM's on their videos in exchange for 40% of their monthly revenue.

I should write my own version of fucking Jpod once I get out of this shithole.

Last edited:

CSM

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Why does Machinima have 400 employee?

I thought it was just some video website.

Azazel

Arbiter
Recruitment teams. Imagine being paid minimum wage to cold-call ten year olds and convince them to sign over half their monthly video revenue to your employer.

And if you don't recruit X number of views from the pool of kids every month, they'll replace you with some other poor schmuck instanter.

Last edited:

Ebonsword

Arcane
Anybody getting into game programming expecting stability is delusional. It sucks to get laid off but a game programmer should always expect that to happen. Especially given the unreliable nature of game sales.

I still find it hilarious reading any articles containing the phrase 'video game industry' and 'stability'.

Earthquakes in CA are more stable than a position in the game industry. Thankfully my job is rock solid and even if my company got bought, I likely wouldn't lose my job. Also, I have a awesome CIO: company recently didn't meet sales, so this impacted everyone's bonuses and reviews. My CIO fought this and got our reviews to be reflected based on our performance and not that of the sales team.

Pro-tip: He did that because he was concerned about his bonus, not yours.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://pastebin.com/cZpRbpxd

I regularly receive these emails. Needless to say we haven't taken them up on a single one of these offers. Just be aware this stuff goes on a lot on Youtube, make sure to check for disclosure. This kind of deal effectively prevents you from presenting the game in an honest light, which of course is fine for promotional purposes, but only if properly disclosed as what it is, an ad. I'm unsure as to why these companies send these offers to channels that are clearly in the business of critique, I can't imagine they get a particularly good response. Personally I'd appreciate it if these firms did a little more research into who they are making these kind of offers to. I have edited the name of the game and the companies involved out.

Hi Genna,

I am heading up a campaign for A CARD GAME and I think John's TotalHalibut channel is a great fit. I noticed he has been playing Hearthstone lately and A CARD GAME is a lot like Hearthstone, but the gameplay is more involved (and better in my opinion).

We would need a gameplay video from him by A DATE, and I can offer $2,000. A GAME COMPANY is making some improvements to the game that they want to feature in his video that won't be completed until A DATE, so he will need to wait until then to start filming anything, but he can get a good feel for the game by trying it out right now at A CARD GAME WEBSITE

The video requirements are below, can we move forward with this?

Requirements
Video must feature the A CARD GAME logo/title card (to be provided by A PR COMPANY)
Video must include a verbal call to action for viewers to click the link below for registration.
Video descriptions must contain a unique registration link. A PR COMPANY will provide these links in advance.
Video description box must disclose that the video is sponsored.
No other brand sponsorships allowed in the video.
Additional Guidelines

Do not show bugs, glitches
Do not include negative comments towards A GAME COMPANY or the A CARD GAME brand. (It is okay to include constructive criticism, as long as the overall sentiment of the video is positive).
Witty banter is highly encouraged
It is okay to reference physical card games like Magic: The Gathering or Yu Gi Oh, as long as the reference is purely factual, no opinions. It is okay to reference competing online card games or companies, so long as the reference is purely factual, no opinions.
Promotional Support

1 Facebook post and/or 1 Tweet on video upon upload for each video

Thanks,

Brinko

Arcane
http://sessactual.tumblr.com/

Sessler has left Rev3. Can't say I'm shocked as Sessler has looked like a degenerating meth addict for quite some time. Wouldn't be surprised if in 4 months he's found with a controller tied around his neck from self strangulation.

Renegen

Arcane
Yeah but you're selling yourself out. They're going to get 500k - 1m views of their shitty card game and make many times $2000. Also think how much he gets from Google on that video, the money to sell out is just peanuts.

Misconnected

Savant
Yeah but you're selling yourself out.

They're also many times more than 1 person having to share the money from the sales generated by the video. But on the sell out thing, even if your viewers are able to tell that you're doing paid PR, will they actually mind?

Either way, it's a fuckton of money for next to no work. I can understand if a lot of people who get such offers, take them.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
http://sessactual.tumblr.com/

Sessler has left Rev3. Can't say I'm shocked as Sessler has looked like a degenerating meth addict for quite some time. Wouldn't be surprised if in 4 months he's found with a controller tied around his neck from self strangulation.

Good for him. He was already getting into that "games should be movies with occasional interaction because I'm an old family man who doesn't have enough time to play proper games anymore" mindset. Or maybe it was just going along the ad revenue stream, I don't know.

Delterius

Arcane

Delterius

Arcane
First response in the thread:
Wow, I should become a journalist
:greatjob:
Jshreier on that thread:
Gross. But sounds like this was a European thing? Worth noting. European press and US press seem to have totally different standards, rules, and practices. All that free PS3 stuff a couple years ago was also in the UK.
Standards: writing like Kotaku or taking bribes? Which is better and why? DISCUSS.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom