Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Total War: Warhammer 2

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
TW:WH is their biggest cash cow and somehow it gets put on the backburner.:argh:

They've just spread themselves way too thin. Historical, Warhammer and Saga teams is too much with their way of delivering content on kinda-sorta reliable basis. I wonder if CA will withstand massive backlash when they take the overpriced Legendary Lords DLC model to Three Kingdoms which has a setting seemingly built for milking in such a manner. Oh, Li Fu is mentioned in a single paragraph where he snuck behind enemy lines? Gotta make that dude a $4.99 Legendary Lord!

Parabalus

Arcane
WH2 was a disaster at release

I played WH2 first, and tried WH1 afterwards when I bought it for ME, but WH2 on release was great.

The UI, battle rebalance (unit HP) and new races are miles above WH1.

I'd imagine after the trilogy is released with the complete ME map they'll start milking overpriced faction/lord packs for the next 5+ years like they are currently doing with Rome 2.

I wouldn't be surprised if after TW:WH3 is released the later DLCs start "officially" going towards the End Times, if the game is going strong. They could milk the setting for 5+ easy.

TW:WH is their biggest cash cow and somehow it gets put on the backburner.:argh:

They've just spread themselves way too thin. Historical, Warhammer and Saga teams is too much with their way of delivering content on kinda-sorta reliable basis. I wonder if CA will withstand massive backlash when they take the overpriced Legendary Lords DLC model to Three Kingdoms which has a setting seemingly built for milking in such a manner. Oh, Li Fu is mentioned in a single paragraph where he snuck behind enemy lines? Gotta make that dude a $4.99 Legendary Lord!

They're in a pretty fucked up spot - fantasy sells much better than history. If the 3k hybrid works they're looking pretty good though, otherwise wtf will they do?

Tigranes

Arcane
They can't even make one good game these days, so the rational thing to do is churn out as many games as possible copy-pasting the same mechanics that they can no longer fix or improve.

v1rus

Arcane
So, I literally spent 5 days doing nothing but playing the eye of the vortex. The start was a bit slow, but i picked up quite fast, which is when the game got easy. Done the main quest (or rather, I'm before the final battle), have more teritory than all other factions combined, and am doing nothing but moving 9-12 stacks of lords autoresolving settlement attacks. Think its time to call it over.

Got the hang out most of the mechanics real good (still not using hero actions (most of them seem meh, prolly just a noob illusion tho). Love the game all in all, but it does have some faulty stuff. Micromanaging can be pain in the ass (looking at you equipment, and to a lesser extent, leveling ~20 Lords/Heroes each turn), loading times are painful even on an SSD and i cant help the feeling that a cross between HoMM and this would be the perfect game - give us an easily traceable bar of the lords like in HoMM, make heroes more different in their appearance so you can tell who the fuck is who/make them customizable/give them painted portraits. One thing that really annoys me is how you can control but one faction. I know, i know, but I really think that being able to confederate/ally/we some of the friendlier factions would give campaigns more variety. Not talking about full HoMM style, but just mixing it up a bit.

Preparing for a second playthrough soon, mortal empires this time, not sure who to play with tho. I want bit more of challenge, and i want a faction with a variety of legendary lords to confederate with. Variety of regular lords and heroes is also a plus. Vampire lords seem like a great fit, but all of them are rated easy, so no challenge, while Tomb Kings cant confederate :(

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
Once you get Mixxu’s Legendary Lords 1 & 2 and Parte’s Legendary Lords mod, every faction will have the variety you seek.

Also, you can get the mod that confederates a LL when you take their last settlement, which sidesteps the TK issue.

Parabalus

Arcane
Preparing for a second playthrough soon, mortal empires this time, not sure who to play with tho. I want bit more of challenge, and i want a faction with a variety of legendary lords to confederate with. Variety of regular lords and heroes is also a plus. Vampire lords seem like a great fit, but all of them are rated easy, so no challenge, while Tomb Kings cant confederate :(

Are you playing on VH/legendary?

If you want to have fun confederating Norsca might do it for you, the start also isn't the easiest.

Last edited:

Seethe

Arbiter
vlsxnmmg5eo11.png

Seethe

Arbiter
So, I literally spent 5 days doing nothing but playing the eye of the vortex. The start was a bit slow, but i picked up quite fast, which is when the game got easy. Done the main quest (or rather, I'm before the final battle), have more teritory than all other factions combined, and am doing nothing but moving 9-12 stacks of lords autoresolving settlement attacks. Think its time to call it over.

Got the hang out most of the mechanics real good (still not using hero actions (most of them seem meh, prolly just a noob illusion tho). Love the game all in all, but it does have some faulty stuff. Micromanaging can be pain in the ass (looking at you equipment, and to a lesser extent, leveling ~20 Lords/Heroes each turn), loading times are painful even on an SSD and i cant help the feeling that a cross between HoMM and this would be the perfect game - give us an easily traceable bar of the lords like in HoMM, make heroes more different in their appearance so you can tell who the fuck is who/make them customizable/give them painted portraits. One thing that really annoys me is how you can control but one faction. I know, i know, but I really think that being able to confederate/ally/we some of the friendlier factions would give campaigns more variety. Not talking about full HoMM style, but just mixing it up a bit.

Damage walls, assassinate heroes, block army, assault army(multiple times, on armies with elite units mostly). These are very good actions to use. Damage walls only in the same turn you plan to siege, because they repair over time.

v1rus

Arcane

If you want to have fun confederating Norsca might do it for you, the start also isn't the easiest.

Didnt know there were difficulty settings available, so I was playing on default I guess :D

Which diff would be right for for a decent second timer who would like a bit of a challenge? I guess faction difficulty is also something to take in account.

Also, i enjoy confederating Legendary Lords only :( Not many of those at Norsca afaik :/

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Hard/Hard is probably the most balanced, VH and up just gives the AI an annoying amount of bonuses especially during battles. (Recently played Skaven on Legendary and those fucking Saurus warriors will shit all over regular Skaven units. Not surprising but there's only so much you can with just 2 full stack armies.)

Seethe

Arbiter

Didnt know there were difficulty settings available, so I was playing on default I guess :D

Which diff would be right for for a decent second timer who would like a bit of a challenge? I guess faction difficulty is also something to take in account.

Also, i enjoy confederating Legendary Lords only :( Not many of those at Norsca afaik :/

Hard/Hard is what I play. Very hard is already treading into "bullshit cheats" land, where the AI starts to recruit 6 units per turn early game, and receive other massive bullshit boosts. The upkeep penalty on newly recruited lords is also ridiculous. You might've noticed that your income goes to hell when you recruit a new lord, and that's because there's an upkeep penalty for the player when he makes a new army. It's retarded that this isn't mentioned anywhere by the game.

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
It’s mentioned when you raise a new army. There are two costs shown; the raising cost and the upkeep increase.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Hard/Hard is probably the most balanced, VH and up just gives the AI an annoying amount of bonuses especially during battles. (Recently played Skaven on Legendary and those fucking Saurus warriors will shit all over regular Skaven units. Not surprising but there's only so much you can with just 2 full stack armies.)

Just get like 10-12 plaguemaw catapults with a warplock engineer in your main army, a couple of stormvermin with halberds to fend off cavalry, and then have 1-2 additional armies with 20 stacks of slaverats as cannon fodder. By the time they massacred your meatshields by the thousands, your catapults usually took care of the majority of their troops. Assassinate their lord with Queek, or utilize the poison/-armor spells Skrolk has, and you can usually win most fights without any major losses. You'll probably kill the same amount of slaverats as the enemy does because of friendly fire. Since plaguemaw catapults are pretty inaccurate until your engineer gets a few levels thats unavoidable, but its also part of the fun :D

Playing against a friend in EoTV currently (I know it's against Codex regulations, but I'm a rebel).

It adds another layer of difficulty, since you're racing against them to complete the Rituals. You can also send armies to intervene when your friend is doing a Ritual.

A horse of course

It's finally here:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1524091553&searchtext=GCCM

Naval battles
Hello everyone, it's finally here, the moment we've all been waiting for: The (beta) release of the naval combat mod.

SEDBv0k.jpg

Black ark preview video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEbfzqsJkwY
Preview video (older version, new vid coming soon): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpZ4cGpRpEk

For a description of the mod, please scroll down to the 'features' tab. For those of you who are interested, here is a short story about the development hell this mod went through:

We couldn't have known it would take this long when we first started on the mod, but we're pretty sure it was all worth it in the end. I'm going to start this mod description with a short story about the work that went into this mod. If you don't want to read that you can just skip to the 'features' part below.

It all started with my discovery of how to turn all sea into land in my quest to enable naval battles. This resulted in the rather funky situation where all generals suffered from a jesus complex - they all walked on water as if it was land. Though this looked somewhat rediculous, it did enable 'naval' battles of a sort, and I was pretty pleased with myself. Excited with my discovery I immediately posted about it in the map making discord channel, and launched a naval themed map making competition so that we would have some nice maps to work with. The competition was a success, and we got some really beautiful maps (see below), so at this point I was considering just adding these to regions and releasing the mod in that state. Goofy, but functional.

But no. I showed my discovery to Marthenil, and he latched on with his obsessive perfecionism, determined to find a way to have naval battles without jesus-jenerals. Thus begins our story. We came very close to finishing the mod with several -very- different solutions, all with their own unique drawbacks. As a result of that there were at least three moments where we thought we were within days of releasing the mod, only to find another issue which turned out to be a blocker.

The most annoying part of all of this were the black arks (blarks). Blarks have been a very consistent source of annoyance throughout these nine months, because as it turns out, they don't want to move when you turn all sea into land. I hate blarks. In the end we, or mostly Marthenil to be honest, managed a pretty acceptable solution for the blarks, and the mod is now at a point where we feel comfortable enough releasing it in a beta state.

It has been a grueling nine months of labor, but it was all worth it in the end for our baby is finally here. Despite the flaws and the bugs we feel that it's innovative enough for you all to enjoy, and we certainly hope that you will enjoy it.

Features
- Enabled naval battles - 9 new naval battle maps (see below) - Naval prebattle screens - Completely reworked black arks

The main feature is the addition of naval battles - instead of autoresolving all battles fought at sea can now be fought on islands instead!
This also comes with new sexy battle preview scenes!

Due to Marthenil's work, you should for the most part not notice any changes on the campaign map, with the exception of Black Arks, because those have been completely overhauled out of necessity.

Black Arks
The Black Ark is essentially a horde now, that can go both on land and water. While on land, it's called a Black Ark Raiding Party. It cannot grow, and it cannot build upgrades, on top of having only one recruitment slot and a 50% movement penalty. It can siege and occupy settlements. It can also recruit directly from owned province pools so no longer do you have to juggle with a second general to get troops in the black ark.

While at sea, it functions exactly like the black arks in the vanilla game with the added bonus that you can replace your general (so you can place a LL as the leader of the Black Ark).

The lord can now level up as a normal lord.
It can no longer grant bombardment to friendly units in the area of influence, but it can use them itself. This is sadly a limitation that cannot be worked around.

There are currently 9 maps included, with more to follow soonish.

The maps
- High Elf Beach Resort - Kazad - Bretonnian Isle - Kazad - Frozen Island - Kazad - Flooded Temple - Kazad - Gaze of Ualatep - SaSemar - Scattered Tropical Island - Ravenian - Solitary Forest Island - Ravenian - Solitary Tropical Island - Ravenian - Tidal Island - Ravenian

Due to the massive amount of backend changes, we cannot possibly test this enough on our own, hence the beta. Please report any and all issues so that we may fix them. People walking on water, boats on land, weird stuff, and so on.

Known issues
Portraits don't work properly at the moment. There is some clipping in some of the prebattle scenes. The mod is currently not compatible with startpos mods. It should be later, but not right now.

This mod requires a new campaign and is not save game compatible!

Required mods
The naval battle mod is split into two parts. This one, and the part 2 uploaded by Marthenil. You will need both. In addition to that, you need to subscribe to the main GCCM mod, the GCCM asset pack, and the two GCCM settlement packs.

It's still an early version and not compatible with the major startpos mods yet, but if there are no major problems that shoudl change quickly. Personally I cba to play WH2 until the next DLC, so I won't be testing it myself for a long time.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
That just turns naval battles into land battles on an island, doesn't it?
Not sure if that is how naval battles should be handled...

It's better than autoresolve.
Well, I would say it is better than the current autoresolve.
But I'd rather have something entirely different or a better autoresolve than just another land battle - which you then autoresolve in most cases anyway. :lol:

A horse of course

Could it be an addition of real naval battles along with Sartosa though?

They explicitly denied there would be any naval combat in the August 7th plebbit AMA. I was expecting Dogs of War/Southern Realms DLC with maybe one pirate-themed character like Luther Harkon but holy shit if they have the gall to make an entirely naval-themed DLC without any actual ships :lol:.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Sartosa/Vampire Coast + Probably some Vortex mechanics where you have to collect treasure from across the map.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom