Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Total War: Shogun 2

So will you buy it?

• Yes

Votes: 9 56.3%
  • I will wait for reviews

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Maybe

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • No

Votes: 5 31.3%

• Total voters

MapMan

Arcane
So... I finally got to play it. Im somewhere around 1560 and heres how it looks: I've got about 15 provinces now and everybody hates me. It started out when I got attacked and since attack is the best defense, I crushed my enemy and took over his provinces. Shortly after I engaged in another war and again crushed the whole clan. By this point, all neighbours hated me and wanted to wage war against me. So they did. And they failed. Right now, everyone hates me except the shogunate and it get's worse. I get attacked -> I quickly destroy the enemy -> more expansion -> more hatred. Did I do something wrong? It'll probably end like it did in empire total war where I produced two stacks of units and steamrolled through everyone in the game. I'm playing on hard, maybe I shouldve chosen higher difficulty?

MapMan

Arcane
Anyway... Can clan have a no daimo? I'm wondering if I can assasinate all daimos and heirs of an enemy clan and what effect would that have.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Trash said:
DLC doesn't really seem to offer much new. I still remember the original Shogun expansion that added the mongols overrunning Japan, the Viking Invasion expansion that turned the whole MTW game upside down into a desperate struggle for survival with small forces instead of the slow growth of the stock game, the Barbarian Invasion expansion that went straight to the fall of the Roman empire and introduced the horde mechanic which made the game insanely tense and even the Kingdoms expansion that gave a shitload of small campaigns and gameplay additions.

This one looka just as a cynic attempt at milking the customers with another utterly unambitious and tiny expansion. It may be at least a bit more substantial than yet another 'elite' unit DLC but that ain't saying much.

And this is exactly the reason why I hate the modern trend of DLCs compared to the good old expansion packs that most games got. Shogun, Medieval, Rome and Medieval 2 all had awesome expansion packs that added a lot to the game - including new features like the horde system or permanent stone forts, which could then be used by modders too. Ever since Empire they've only made lacklustre DLCs which contain a couple of units or small campaigns that are maybe half as content-rich as one of the 4 kingdoms campaigns (Warpath for Empire, Peninsular Campaign for Napoleon, now this new one for Shogun 2).

Instead of proper expansions that offer new nations, new units, new features, and a large new campaign that should offer as much gameplay hours as the original, we get stupid DLCs that only contain some little things but since there's so many of them you usually end up paying more for the whole package than you used to pay for an expansion, while you'd get much less content.

DLC = :decline:

MapMan

Arcane
Okay, another question. I am the shogun now and I'm in war with almost everyone. I have 2 allies but they start to hate me too, even though im not expanding anymore. I have huge and strong army and could probably steam roll though couple of clans no problem BUT my economy is in trouble since I'm in war with everyone, I lost huge income from trade. Is there a way to revert the hatred? Or does the game has to look this way from now on, it's me against everyone else? If there's no way to slow down and make peace with some people there's no reason for me to wait, I shall stomp them while I can.

Fafnir

Liturgist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
There is no more diplomacy. Everyone will hate you with a passion. Your allies will betray you no matter what if you play unmodded. Since they get a - minus relation with you since you are the Shogun. It was one of the major reasons why I stopped playing. It's just plain silly.

Panthera

Scholar
Guess what? Factions don't want to be unified. That's what happens when you set yourself up as the unifier. It would be silly and unrealistic if they didn't go to war with you.

spectre

Arcane
Yeah, that's how the game rolls from a certain point. You basically have to kill every last one of them, allies included.

You can also find some mods that lessen the negative modifiers from the realm divide thing to manageable levels, if it kills the game for you.

Panthera said:
Guess what? Factions don't want to be unified. That's what happens when you set yourself up as the unifier. It would be silly and unrealistic if they didn't go to war with you.

Read up on Oda, Hideyoshi, and Tokugawa. Your [lore] check has failed.

MapMan

Arcane
Well thats kinda... disappointing. It basically removes the whole tactical and diplomacy element from the game. If everyone's at war with you, and you can't do jack shit about it, you just produce units and stomp anyone who comes close.

MapMan

Arcane
Yeah, well... Even if it all ends the same (you conquer everyone else) it's simply more fun to have some allies, watch others fight and get betrayed at the moment you would last expect. You vs everyone else turns this game into a deathmatch.

Oh, and thanks for the mod, I'll get it.

made

Arcane
Diplomacy has always been wonky in TW from what I can tell. You'd think when you control half the map and can easily crush any opponent the other nations would line up to ally with you, but no, it's all but impossible to make peace even if they have one city left and you shower them with gifts.

I guess it's not called Total Diplomacy for a reason eh? lololol

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Actually you can finish Shogun 2 with allies. Just fulfill all objectives, and hold Kjoto for at least year, and when you are quick enough your allies will stay with you.

The trouble is when your ally occupies province you need for victory.

ravinhood

Novice
FatCat said:
So anyone besides me buying it on day 1?
I feel that A.I will disappoint once again (no shit duh) , but multi-player looks very promising this time around.

All you guys with your FEELINGS. What are you EMO's? lmao

Satan

Educated
ravinhood said:
FatCat said:
I feel that A.I will disappoint once again (no shit duh) , but multi-player looks very promising this time around.

fucking newfags

FatCat

Educated
ravinhood said:
FatCat said:

You are not human if you do not "feel" imbecile.

Rise of Samurai is hell a lot of fun AI seems a tad bit improved so is performance , more castle maps YAY.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
To my surprise Rise of the Samurai is actually a real improvement on the vanilla campaign. Better and more battle maps, sieges, campaign map, tech tree and even the AI seems improved. Even the new influence stat really matters. However the biggest and best change for me so far is how much better the character skills and tech tree feel. Glad to see CA come up with an expansion that actually improves the game just like BI and Kingdoms did.

Norfleet

MapMan said:
It started out when I got attacked and since attack is the best defense, I crushed my enemy and took over his provinces. Shortly after I engaged in another war and again crushed the whole clan. By this point, all neighbours hated me and wanted to wage war against me.
Are you new to the entire "Strategy Wargame" genre or something? This basically describes every game I have ever played, ever. It's the same in EVERY game. Some guy attacks you, gets wiped, everyone else is "YOU KILLED KENNY! YOU BASTARD!". It never ends until you've killed them all.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Well, the AI in Shogun 2 is rather rabid. The game is build around the concept of either expanding or being crushed so the AI will constantly go on the offensive in order to expand. It leads to some interesting situations and actually is a rather nice depiction of that whole Total War thingie. Still, don't expect to happily turtle this one.

I thought Rise of the Samurai is an interesting turnaround from the original game.

In the original, everyone is rabidly attacking eachother with well trained armies.

In this one, it's more about the cutthroat diplomacy, as the armies are mainly levies which are incredibly unreliable. This forces you to rely on your agents and tech to start getting decent troops. The warfare between the massive alliance blocks is also a nice feature.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom