Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Total War: Shogun 2

So will you buy it?

• Yes

Votes: 9 56.3%
  • I will wait for reviews

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Maybe

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • No

Votes: 5 31.3%

• Total voters

ironyuri

Bros,

If you're a member of the RPGCodex steam group, you can set the Codex as your MP clan. Let us have a Codex clan and take it to glory, bros.

I've already lost some battles.... maybe we can lose together!

Quilty

Magister
Sword ashigaru are available in the MP. I guess it's not historical, but since this is not a hardcore wargame, much less a historically accurate wargame, I have no problem with that. It's based on a rock-paper-scissors system most of the time.

Ironyuri, I'll definitely join, we'll lose together. I hope we can use that "forever alone" picture as our clan avatar. :D

By the way, the game keeps pitting my 3rd level general against 12+ level enemies. WTF? The matchmaking was fine for a couple of days, now it's insane. How am I supposed to win with my vanilla army against 3+ chevron units, in addition to which the general has bonuses like "-3 to enemy melee units".

One other thing I don't understand. How do you know if you'll be fighting a small, medium or large battle on the conquest screen? I keep trying to use my small army, just cause I like it that way, but the game insists that I play huge battles against leveled up opponents.

:rpgcodex:

ironyuri

Quilty said:
Sword ashigaru are available in the MP. I guess it's not historical, but since this is not a hardcore wargame, much less a historically accurate wargame, I have no problem with that. It's based on a rock-paper-scissors system most of the time.

Ironyuri, I'll definitely join, we'll lose together. I hope we can use that "forever alone" picture as our clan avatar. :D

By the way, the game keeps pitting my 3rd level general against 12+ level enemies. WTF? The matchmaking was fine for a couple of days, now it's insane. How am I supposed to win with my vanilla army against 3+ chevron units, in addition to which the general has bonuses like "-3 to enemy melee units".

One other thing I don't understand. How do you know if you'll be fighting a small, medium or large battle on the conquest screen? I keep trying to use my small army, just cause I like it that way, but the game insists that I play huge battles against leveled up opponents.

:rpgcodex:

What's your steam handle Quilty?

When you go to the clans section of the online campaign, your group will show as a clan choice if you're in the RPGCodex group. Just enable it as your clan.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
kris said:
Clearly you play some sort of mod then.

Why do you say that? There are sword peasants in this game. Never managed to get them for my campaign, maybe they're a multiplayer thing?

It's true tho, I don't think katanas were actually used on the battlefield by anyone, much less peasants. Much less no-dachi katanas, who were basically just made for the lulz. It does make for more varied gameplay, however.

In fact, when I think about it, the whole system of japanese warfare doesn't make sense to me, and not only in the game. Why the hell didn't they use shields? The game says "because the back of the katana enabled them to block" or something like that. What? That doesn't make sense. How is a tower shield less efficient than the back of your stick, that you're not even using because you have a spear? It's not like shields weren't used for thousands of years everywhere in the world. And their armors were pretty much useless and just for show. I guess their arrows were very ineffective, so that explains it somewhat. But their spears were puny and small. I have no idea how the hell those armies were supposed to be the most optimized way to go about it. A contingent of antique tightly formed, shield wearing, chainmail-armored phallanx or would have probably torn any fancy samurai army to shreds, used proprely. I really don't understand it. And when Japan invaded Korea, it didn't work out so well for them, didn't it? I guess korean infantry knew how to use shields, trololol.

I'm really temped to buy this so I can loose to ADD teenagers who play this because it's the latest cool game on their brand new computers that their mom bought for them as they spend hundred of hours grinding their armies and get a confidence boost when I come in and clumsily crash in my peasants agaisnt their indisputable might

Quilty

Magister
@ironyuri: I'm Sartoris on Steam, I've just joined the group. I'm not in the game right now.

@serious: Nah, you don't have to worry about the kids. I doubt this is the kind of game that appeals to them. Far too fiddly than a proper popamole FPS. Most of the people I played against so far have been really nice, even the ones that I defeated. No rage quits, either, though I've heard the game does nothing to prevent the alt+f4 crowd from increasing their win/lose ration by escaping lost battles.

ironyuri

Quilty said:
@ironyuri: I'm Sartoris on Steam, I've just joined the group. I'm not in the game right now.

@serious: Nah, you don't have to worry about the kids. I doubt this is the kind of game that appeals to them. Far too fiddly than a proper popamole FPS. Most of the people I played against so far have been really nice, even the ones that I defeated. No rage quits, either, though I've heard the game does nothing to prevent the alt+f4 crowd from increasing their win/lose ration by escaping lost battles.

Quilty, have friended you on STEAM to make it easier. I've played a couple battles tonight, lost 3 (my lvl 1 avatar vs a lvl 7, 9 and 3)

Won two battles vs a lvl 6 and lvl 3.

So I don't feel too ashamed now. My army's balance is alright. Ashigaru break much easier in MP than in SP. Alot of these dudes are tough only because they have high level units. Fuck em.

Quilty

Magister
ironyuri said:
Quilty said:

Quilty, have friended you on STEAM to make it easier. I've played a couple battles tonight, lost 3 (my lvl 1 avatar vs a lvl 7, 9 and 3)

Won two battles vs a lvl 6 and lvl 3.

So I don't feel too ashamed now. My army's balance is alright. Ashigaru break much easier in MP than in SP. Alot of these dudes are tough only because they have high level units. Fuck em.

Hey, thanks ironyuri, I accepted.

I imagine the difference between lvl 1 and lvl 9 is significant, if only in the modifiers the opponent has, like the one I mentioned. And since I always rely on a melee core it can be pretty devastating when an enemy has modifiers that nullify your only advantage.

Hope we can jion forces and show the world some incline. :brofist:

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
kris said:
Serious_Business said:
Much less no-dachi katanas, who were basically just made for the lulz.

No-dachi katanas? :D

Fuck off, I'm not actually japanese. It's a no-dachi... katana... because... it's very big sword... and a katana. Like in final fantasy. Yeah. That's right. I've got culture. Sepiroth had a no-dachi katana. I know what I'm talking about. My ego's safe. Hell yeah I feel good about myself, thanks man

ironyuri

Serious_Business said:
kris said:
Serious_Business said:
Much less no-dachi katanas, who were basically just made for the lulz.

No-dachi katanas? :D

Fuck off, I'm not actually japanese. It's a no-dachi... katana... because... it's very big sword... and a katana. Like in final fantasy. Yeah. That's right. I've got culture. Sepiroth had a no-dachi katana. I know what I'm talking about. My ego's safe. Hell yeah I feel good about myself, thanks man

ivan.jpg

Anyway...

If anyone wants to join Quilty and I - go to the clan page and search RPG Codex. If you're a member of the steamgroup, you'll be able to set it as your clan and then we can lead Codex to glory and smug up the net by pwning popamole kiddies.

:smug:

spectre

Arcane
I just got one of them loading screen death poem haiku:

"Sheltering cherry; my breath stirs your blossoms;
my soul ascends; meh"

Made me chuckle. See that contempt of death right 'ere?

Quilty

Magister
Brothers, ironyuri and I need you.

The clan is calling you.

We've been tastefully raping noobz but there's only so much two bros can do.

Enlist today!

spectre

Arcane
D'oh. I gladly would, unfortunately I'm a filthy pirate, arrr.
There's something about steam that just rubs me the wrong way.

And lol@ the darthmod drama. Some dudes just cannot handle all that internets and shit.

Quilty

Magister
spectre, the motherland cries out and all you can think about is your DRM service.

You are not welcome in the Troll Dojo. :x

ironyuri

Trolling for Codexian glory.

Codex Clan is first in its clan ladder and we will be promoted tomorrow. Codex will claw and troll its way to the top.

But we need YOUR help, bros. Take up your tachi, flail your yari and string your yumi. BROS need BROS.

FatCat

Educated
ironyuri said:
Trolling for Codexian glory.

Codex Clan is first in its clan ladder and we will be promoted tomorrow. Codex will claw and troll its way to the top.

But we need YOUR help, bros. Take up your tachi, flail your yari and string your yumi. BROS need BROS.

Codex may be first in later tiers , but by no chance 1st in 1 tier.There is just not enough people.
Quantity > Quality of players sadly.Clan TWC with 803 members pretty much demolishes everything by owning like ~54 provinces atm in tier 1.

Casus belli

Liturgist
I'm very tempted to join the clan, but I've never played MP in a Total War game before, I'm afraid I'll bring much dishonor and shame. Better get some MP battles under my belt.

Quilty

Magister
Casus belli said:
I'm very tempted to join the clan, but I've never played MP in a Total War game before, I'm afraid I'll bring much dishonor and shame. Better get some MP battles under my belt.

Just join the clan and don't worry about such trivialities. After all, you can't spell dishonor withouth honor, so it's okay, I guess. If you need any tips to get you started, just ask and we'll help, or we can even do a couple of matches together.

mr.doo

Educated
Did anyone manage to play this beauty maxed out ?
I shat my pants instantly, even if in the battle phase the game ran more like a slideshow than a game. :(

anus_pounder

Arcane
Ed123 said:
Speakng of Darthmod, he's currently throwing a hissy fit over at the TWC forums due to being denied a personal sub-forum, threatening to leave and demanding everyone join him. In fairness, TWC does appear to have a slightly bizarre rule about not setting up Hosted Sub-Forums for any mod less than 3 months old, but the level of childish entitlement displayed here is just nauseating.

Modders, modders never change.

Any more news on this?

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
IS the Clan still out and alive because if it is i could join.

I don't get to play a lot, but every thing helps right.

ironyuri

CrimsonAngel said:
IS the Clan still out and alive because if it is i could join.

I don't get to play a lot, but every thing helps right.

If you're in the RPGCodex steam group it'll show up for you to join. Nobody made one, I just went to the clan page and it showed up as my possible clan so I joined and started playing :p

But yeh each battle helps. I haven't played MP in a couple days while I was playing an Oda campaign. Might go back to it soon.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom