Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Total War Saga: Thrones of Britannia

Discussion in 'Strategy and Simulation' started by Ed123, Jun 7, 2017.

1. mondblut Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

mondblut
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    Of all the "wow, FLASHPOINT MOMENTS OF HISTORY", they have shocked us by choosing the one they already fucking did back in Medieval 1 days :roll:

Muh vikings are about as novel and interesting as WW2 by now.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  2. Make America Great Again Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
    ^ Top  
  3. Make America Great Again Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Maggot meme king

Maggot
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    Why can't they just make a campaign map like the good old days?
    [​IMG]

• Despair x 3
    • it is a mystery x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • decline x 1
    • Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Rahdulan Arcane

Rahdulan
    Parrots:
    Man, I really like the old Risk-style campaign map. As contrary as it may sound to this being a video game, addition of movement points just lead to this need to game the system to squeeze that extra movement. Weird complaint, I know.

^ Top  
  6. Maggot meme king

Maggot
    Parrots:
    Old games have better AI on the campaign map (and battle map compared to RTW good work CA) and a bunch of mechanics that never made a return. Also the AI had to cheat a ridiculous amount with the 3D maps to appear semi competent.

^ Top  
  7. AwesomeButton Cut a deal with the authorities Patron

AwesomeButton
    Parrots:
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    The impressions I got from these 11 points, although somewhat reserved, as is normal for a CA game, were similarly good. Of course most of the 11 reasons are actually the return of features which we used to have in old games - bigger battle maps, weather, battle maps which reflect the campaign map features of the tile in which the battle is taking place.

What I found even more curious were two fortunate coincidences - after years of trying to portray a continent with the same technology used to portray the Japanese isles, they have reached a conclusion which I had reached and was sharing with people on twcenter.net back in 2009. The best TW games are those that take place on a region-sized map - Japan, the Baltics, the British isles. That way the map can be relatively detailed, and the campaign AI behaves more sensibly at the same time, and the outcomes on the campaign map are not disgustingly ahistorical, which has always been my major source of dissatisfaction with "hisorical" TW gamss. I am glad CA have also seen these advantages.

Second, I am happy that 9 years after I played Rome: Total Realism, the mod for RTW, I see their concept of a regional map where there are major and minor settlements has been adopted by CA. Lovely. Maybe after 9 more years CA will reach the ideas and innovations modders are coming up with today.

Anyway, I plan to follow and cautiously pirate this when it is relesed, to see if it really has potential or it's another one of CA's duds.

Edit, to avoid bumping:
    I shouldn't have watched youtube videos...

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Gaius maximus Scholar

Gaius maximus
    Parrots:
    arent the minor settlements a feature since empire?

^ Top  
  9. AwesomeButton Cut a deal with the authorities Patron

AwesomeButton
    Parrots:
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Maybe, but I am positive they existed in mods since RTW, which is the first 3D TW really, so that's the earliest they could have existed anyway.

^ Top  
  10. Gaius maximus Scholar

Gaius maximus
    Parrots:
    yes but the realism mod ones are full fledged cities that you can actually build stuff on them,the ones in the newer total war games are gutted linear no brainer gimmicks.

^ Top  
  11. AwesomeButton Cut a deal with the authorities Patron

AwesomeButton
    Parrots:
    Hm, no, I think they had somehow disabled buildings in minor settlements in the RTR mod through scripting. Not 100% sure though.

As for the new minor settlements being gutted and straightforward, they have been so since Rome II as we know :) The MTWII concept of cities vs castles was still fine but this Rome II shit is dumbing down through and through IMO.

^ Top  
  12. Maggot meme king

Maggot
    Parrots:
    Minor settlements are just a band-aid fix for most battle beings siege battles. It shouldn't have to exist in the first place and exists because the 3D map is shit.

^ Top  
  13. Gaius maximus Scholar

Gaius maximus
    Parrots:
    the minor settlements were introduced because there were alot of complaints that the building system that existed until kingdoms was "too complicated".setting your economic-military-cultural centres was apparently too much for the average player.
    also after kingdoms they cut down the total number of provinces,in empire france was one single giant province.

• decline decline x 2
    ^ Top  
  14. AwesomeButton Cut a deal with the authorities Patron

AwesomeButton
    Parrots:
    They also reflect reality better, because you shouldn't be able to fortify everything to the level of the heaviest-fortified city.

They are also much better suited to a region-scoped map, which is the core right move to make. Minor settlements being represented makes sense on a region-scope map, less on a continent-scope. So I think they've got the theory right, it remains to be seen how the execution will look like.

From what I quickly skimmed on Wikipedia, for example, Gallowglass didn't exsit before the 13th c. In videos we have also seen how people living in huts apparently have the engineering ability to construct multi storied siege towers. And if I see yet another medieval game where you can build roads... From what it seems from a first glance of a non-medievalist, the game's historical accuracy is at the usual CA level, which is "why didn't you make it a fantasy game in the first place".

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. Maggot meme king

Maggot
    Parrots:
    I liked how in VI the tech tree led into the base game tech tree.
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. AwesomeButton Cut a deal with the authorities Patron

AwesomeButton
    Parrots:
    Lol, the project director chimes in with office plankton skills at dodging issues:
    https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/214155/thrones-of-britannia-the-gaels/p2

I wouldn't be surprised if the true story is something like "we copied the same names from Viking Invasion and nobody gave a hoot". I also admire the illiteracy of the forum peasants - apparently anyone who reads Wikipedia is now a "history buff". Well, this is where the "everyone is special, everyone is a winner", "say no to "no"" education got us to...

Btw, look at this gem: http://www.twcenter.net/wiki/Rome_Total_Realism

• Edgy Edgy x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Gaius maximus Scholar

Gaius maximus
    Parrots:
    europa barbarorum or death!

^ Top  
  18. AwesomeButton Cut a deal with the authorities Patron

AwesomeButton
    Parrots:
    EB was a glorious mod, until around the 100th turn, when CTDs would start and when you had to manage the Diadochi factions through cheats/switching of active faction/giving out money so that neither the Seleucids nor the Ptolemies would get too powerful before the time came for your historically accurate wars with the Seleucids.

Why rate me edgy BTW? I think I'm being objective :D

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Aqualung Learned

Aqualung
    Parrots:
    Mmm, inn (>>> mercenaries).

Nice.

^ Top  
  20. Norfleet Moderator

Norfleet
    Parrots:
    Yeah, I remember how in Empire, France would often get obliterated quickly because they were just one province, so one battle and POOF, no more France. Rather ahistorical: France didn't get into the surrendering business for another few hundred years!

• Funny Funny x 4
    ^ Top  
  21. Fedora Master Learned

Fedora Master
    Parrots:
    The system of minor towns they had in Empire was alright, no idea why they dropped it.

^ Top  
  22. Gaius maximus Scholar

Gaius maximus
    Parrots:
    yes if you wanted historical accurate wars you should manipulate your neigbours,which is kinda realistic.

^ Top  
  23. AwesomeButton Cut a deal with the authorities Patron

AwesomeButton
    Parrots:
    No doubt about that, I just wish I had the proper game mechanics for it :D BTW, what I'd love most of all is RTW with the diplomacy AI of the more modern Attila and WH.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Make America Great Again Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  25. Make America Great Again Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)