Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Total War Saga: standalone Total War mini-campaigns

Discussion in 'Strategy Gaming' started by Ed123, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Spotswoodgender: ⚧ Learned Patron

Spotswood
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    This wouldn't be a bad simplification in the sense content is lost or diluted, because Warscape only selects from handmade, pre-rendered battle maps. Any given campaign region is divided into 1-4 bounding boxes, which vectors correlate to the map the engine loads at startup. The previous engine used procedural generation for battle maps, so you could choose advantageous terrain from the campaign map, but in Warscape your army can be several miles inland fighting coastal battles. Point being, the incentive for marching off-road just isn't there, least of all when the AI is allowed to cheat spawn stacks in the wilderness, if they pass certain thresholds.

• Disgusting! Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. mikaelisgender: ⚧ Liturgist Patron

mikaelis
    Parrots:
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014
    I would actually like to see CA releasing spin-off of the TW series with simplified strategic layer but well developed tactical battle layer and nicely developed story arc. Preferably taking place in various moments of ancient/medieval history. Something that Neocore tried to do after King Arthur I with The Kings' Crusade (which was a rehash/polished version of Crusaders: Thy Kingdom Comes).

I mean, Neocore failed horribly with Kings' Crusade, but it was mostly due to those game-breaking bugs that were fucking your game (crashing to desktop at the end of the battles - really annoying - no proper solution till this day as far as I know). Also poor marketing. I mean King Arthur 1 should sell at least similar to CA games if it was hyped properly.

King's Crusade was also quite poor in tactical department, but I hold the concept very dearly. Can't think of similar game unfortunately.

^ Top  
  3. LESS T_Tgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014
    Update on the historical projects: https://www.totalwar.com/blog/update-on-historical-releases

- Campaign expansion and big free update to one of their older games. These will be released before the Total War Saga game
    - Total War Saga game: despite its focus on a short period and smaller region, it has a campaign map that's the size of Shogun 2. And beware the crow
    - Next big historical game that sets in a whole new time period: the development is going well and they've ramped up the production recently

• Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. I'm With Her Morgothgender: ⚧ for prison Arcane

Morgoth
    Parrots:
    I hope the expansion is for Rome or Medieval II.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. krisgender: ⚧ Arcane

kris
    Parrots:
    My head is spinning about what this could be. slightly older is such a hard term in this business and then we have to add what games it is easy to think out an attractive expansion for.

Empire?

^ Top  
  6. `Helliongender: ⚧ Learned

`Hellion
    Parrots:
    For now, they uploaded this super-explanatory short video that shows a cracked "Rome 2" logo and is titled "is this the end of the Empire? / Or just the beginning..."

^ Top  
  7. Make America Great Again Infinitrongender: ⚧ I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. LESS T_Tgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014
    FAQ: https://www.totalwar.com/blog/thrones-britannia-faq

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  9. tabacilagender: ⚧ Novice

tabacila
    Parrots:
    From their blog post:
    Well shit...

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Rahdulangender: ⚧ Arcane

Rahdulan
    Parrots:
    I don't mind it, but it'll depend on execution. Interesting they're not wording it as an "expandalone" even though it sounds like a potential buzzword to market the title with, yet they'll draw FotS comparisons to get the point across.

^ Top  
  11. Sranchammergender: ⚧ Arcane

Sranchammer
    Parrots:
    Combine tactical combat from Field of Glory 2 with Total War's strategic layer and you have a winner.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)