Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Total War: Rome II - Empire Divided - new expansion on the Crisis of the Third Century

Discussion in 'Strategy Gaming' started by LESS T_T, Nov 6, 2017.

1. LESS T_Tgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014
    Click here and disable ads!
    Teased:

This supposedly is the first of three historical Total War projects. It will come with a big free update to the base game.

(In case you missed the news, the other two are a standalone game set in a short time period and the next big thing set in a whole new time period.)

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Sranchammergender: ⚧ Arcane

Sranchammer
    Parrots:
    3rd Century Crisis

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  3. Raghargender: ⚧ Arcane

Raghar
    Parrots:
    Folks, I'd keep copy of original game with Steam emulator somewhere safe. Free update might mean free update with Denuvo.

• Despair Despair x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Make America Great Again vonAchdorfgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

vonAchdorf
    Parrots:
    They recently had a blog entry about their three upcoming titles and this was said about the expansion:

^ Top  
  5. muds_animal_friendgender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

muds_animal_friend
    Parrots:
    There's also the "Total War Saga" branded stuff:

Basically Caesar in Gaul or Age of Charlemagne DLC level content but packaged as standalone so that they'll be more expensive. Gone are the days of Medieval II: Kingdoms with four entire campaigns in one modestly priced expansion pack. It looks like the first one will be Viking Invasion II, because the only image released so far was a fuzzy glimpse of the east cost of Ireland in what looked like the Attila campaign map, and they said the map would be the same size as Shogun 2 so the British Isles fits. That would be an uninspired choice given that Age of Charlemagne is historically next door to, and overlaps with, the viking period, and there's numerous mods that turn AoC into Viking Invasion. But vikings are the new zombies I guess.

^ Top  
  6. LESS T_Tgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014
    Officially announced: https://www.totalwar.com/blog/empire-divided-power-politics-faq

Patch notes for the free "Power & Politics Update", which you can opt in for beta via Steam right now:

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
    • Excited! Excited! x 2
    ^ Top  
  7. MediantSamuelgender: ⚧ Erudite Patron

MediantSamuel
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
  8. Space Satangender: ⚧ Arcane

Space Satan
    Parrots:
    Not with Rome II GLORIOUS battle mechanics. Holding formations and other messed up shit. It's not worth even pirating.
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. spectregender: ⚧ Arcane

spectre
    Parrots:
    See kids, this is why we cannot have proper modding support in Total Whore.

• Despair Despair x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. mbv123gender: ⚧ Learned

mbv123
    Parrots:
    I'm still waiting for the Bronze Age Total War with Egyptians, Hittites, Babylonians, Assyrians, Sea People, etc.

• Yes Yes x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. mwnn85gender: ⚧ Educated

mwnn85
    Parrots:
    Can't see this selling in high numbers.
    Don't know why'd they bother going back to Rome 2; they already overhauled it once with Emperor Edition as the initial release was disappointing.
    Compared to Shogun 2 or even Attila the battles are painfully slow.
    The one thing I did like was being able to land naval reinforcements during a land battle.

I think restricting the armies to a handful of generals was one of the worst moves they've made in the newer titles.
    The monotony of the strategic mode is down to it's transition from Risk-like regions (Shogun, Medieval) to fully 3D (Rome, Medieval 2, etc)
    It's not an issue with managing lots of banner armies.
    What really pisses me off in the newer games is how defeated armies retreat back across the map.
    In Shogun/Medieval they'd be outright destroyed if they didn't have a region to fall back to.

The closest game like it would be Crusader Kings but it doesn't have controllable battles =\
    At least the STEAM version of Medieval does work on newer versions of Windows.
    I uploaded a patch (7zip self extracting archive) to convert the Retail Gold version to STEAM version.
    • Widescreen support
    • Doesn't require disc inserted to play
    • Doesn't require STEAM to be running either
    http://steamcommunity.com/app/345260/discussions/0/1353742967820349356/#c2119355556494831729
    http://www4.zippyshare.com/v/fgvsCxwJ/file.html

Other than more Warhammer, aren't most people are waiting for Medieval 3?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
    • No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. LizardWizardgender: ⚧ Savant

LizardWizard
    Parrots:
    Really took them 4 years to fix that abortion of a political system

^ Top  
  13. Make America Great Again vonAchdorfgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

vonAchdorf
    Parrots:
    Rome 2 has two times the players than Attila and 2.6 times as many owners. So if they want to make an expansion, it makes sense to do it for Rome 2.

^ Top  
  14. tabacilagender: ⚧ Novice

tabacila
    Parrots:
    What an amazing time period for Rome. Lots of changes in the army and in the political system.
    A choice based tech tree would be awesome to represent ways of keeping the empire together. Try to restore the old style Principate empire , say fuck it and go for the more despotic Dominate, or maybe even try to bring back the old republic.
    Too bad CA will probably just sell us a reskin mod. Still cool to be able to play as the Restitutor Orbis.

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  15. Make America Great Again Latrogender: ⚧ Arcane

Latro
    Parrots:
    the period deserves it's own game

I wanted a Three Kingdoms expac for Shogun 2 too.

^ Top  
  16. Young_Hollowgender: ⚧ Literate

Young_Hollow
    Parrots:
    CA still not caring about stuff that happens on the battle map I see. Fixing the political system is good and all, but this isn't crusader kings, and Rome 2 battles suffer from a lot of shit. CA should realise that they're really neglecting the real time battles by doing retarded balancing, releasing p2w units in their DLC whorepacks and not explaining stuff like battle stats and abilities with anything more than a passing reference. Just look at the differences between the tutorials of Rome 1 and Shogun 2 for instance. See any difference? Nope. Just shows how much they fail to explain about their battle system, and how much they care about doing it.

^ Top  
  17. krisgender: ⚧ Arcane

kris
    Parrots:
    Slow? You are the decline.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Young_Hollowgender: ⚧ Literate

Young_Hollow
    Parrots:
    They are slower. But they need to be MUCH slower. What use is strategy and micromanagement if every unit breaks nearly instantly?

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  19. mbv123gender: ⚧ Learned

mbv123
    Parrots:
    I couldn't get into Shogun 2 because battles last for 10 seconds and everyone moves so fast that there might as well have Benny Hill theme playing in the background constantly

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Rahdulangender: ⚧ Arcane

Rahdulan
    Parrots:
    Weird decision they didn't go with a standalone expansion like Attila. Would it be too much work so they opted for a glorified campaign pack? Who knows.

I appreciate the honesty.

^ Top  
  21. Fedora Mastergender: ⚧ Learned

Fedora Master
    Parrots:
    If I recall correctly the devs for Rome 2 were basically complete noobs at game making so no wonder it turned out the way it did. I think it's nice of them to fix the game after finally figuring out how to do a proper politics system though.

^ Top  
  22. mbv123gender: ⚧ Learned

mbv123
    Parrots:
    Source on this?
    I don't really believe that they'd give their most anticipated game in the franchise yet at the time to total amateurs.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Duxgender: ⚧ Learned

Dux
    Parrots:
    First, they can fix the battle mechanics and AI, then overall performance, and lastly streamline the retarded interface and UI. Remove redundant and annoying sound effects for every little action.

This would appease Dux somewhat. Until then they can take their overpriced DLCs and go to hell.

They can fix Empire too while they're at it, a game where literally nothing works the way it should.

^ Top  
  24. Fedora Mastergender: ⚧ Learned

Fedora Master
    Parrots:
    I looked but couldn't find any reliable source, sadly. Maybe I had a brainfart and was thinking of another dev.

^ Top  
  25. Raghargender: ⚧ Arcane

Raghar
    Parrots:
    ME4 was done by total amateurs. Be nice and list few other games as well, but common sense says if Rome II was done by different team than CA normal team, it would have severally less bugs and require much less patches.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)